Do you also feel cheated?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
I can't claim ownership of this comment, but it made me piss myself laughing when I read it which sumarizes 3ds Max's problems.

Quote: At the moment Autodesk seems to be all about
"I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am"

01 January 2013
I can't say I've ever felt cheated by subscription. It was convenient and usually easy to budget for and I've been a satisfied max user for the most part. What really does piss me off however is the upgrade cost without subscription being used as extortion to keep people on subscription. It's designed purely to be punitive. It serve's only Autodesk's interests, not mine as a loyal customer before circumstances beyond my control made me have to go out of contract. I would gladly stay a Max user, but because I'll be faced with close to a $3000 bill the next time I want to upgrade I will be evaluating other software now that there's no longer an economic incentive not to.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by gandhics: I copy and paste objects between max everyday with very simple script.

His point is that if it's so simple why isn't already in the package as a feature? Instead we get needles UI downgrades.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by x24BitVoxel: His point is that if it's so simple why isn't already in the package as a feature? Instead we get needles UI downgrades.

His point was that is impossible to do in max.
I just point out that it is possible.

01 January 2013
Well i hope max 2015 will show some great progress, as i think its not quite realistic to think that Frank will be able to change allot for the 2014 release.

Will there be a video posted of the meeting in London?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: Well i hope max 2015 will show some great progress, as i think its not quite realistic to think that Frank will be able to change allot for the 2014 release.

Will there be a video posted of the meeting in London?

Probably not as we all have to sign NDAs to attend, I'm sure it'll all come out soon enough, Publicity starts to feed out normally in late February.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by strangerthings: I've not found one single thing I cannot do in this than I could in Max. I am sure this is subjective.

Node based shading?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by strangerthings:
I've not found one single thing I cannot do in this than I could in Max. I am sure this is subjective.

I've not looked at c4d for a while, so this has probably changed, but I found the lack of support for multi-subobject materials a bit of a dealbreaker for me (ie polygon based material IDs). Has this been implemented in recent versions? Or is there another workflow that provides the same convenience?

Oh and here's the biggy... Multiple scenes open in one go in ONE app with COPY and PASTE between them. How futuristic!

Like a previous poster I use a simple script... but I too would like to know how to copy paste render settings.

**edit** Even bigger... you can render and carry on working, with little detriment to performance or render time.

No problem at all with vray and two instances of max. No slow down whatsoever as long as you have enough ram. Probably more down to vray than max. Certainly mental ray kills performance in my experience if that's what you're referring to.

Still, I'm as grumpy as the next person on this thread, but still love max... what... masochist you say?
, the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by reForm: I've not looked at c4d for a while, so this has probably changed, but I found the lack of support for multi-subobject materials a bit of a dealbreaker for me (ie polygon based material IDs). Has this been implemented in recent versions? Or is there another workflow that provides the same convenience?
It appears it is possible using the TAG system in Cinema4D, see this page here. I have very limited knowledge about Cinema4D so may be good to research their TAG system to see what all is possible for assigning properties and data to objects.

-Eric

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by reForm:
Like a previous poster I use a simple script... but I too would like to know how to copy paste render settings.

What do you mean exactly by copy/paste render settings? You can save out presets for the entire dialog or by category. Certainly far more efficient than c/p individual settings. Am I misunderstanding something?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by 3dtutorial: Don't feel bad, I made exactly the same decision. I've been a Max user since day one but this year I finally decided to bail and let my subscription lapse. The reason for this is mainly that I'm sick of digital monkey on my back, paying year after year and getting bugger all in return. I only speak for myself here but I just don't feel that Max and its so called updates are providing good value for money any longer. I know plenty of others may disagree but for me at least, it was time to say goodbye and move on.

Also, I really didn't appreciate the attempts by my reseller to pressurize me to stay on board, that really was the last straw.

Honestly, I'm a little sad to no longer be using Max but life goes on and I seem to be much happier and doing just fine without it.

Cheers,

J

Same boat here - I honestly don't expect much from 2014.

People power/geppetto?
Box #2 but not Box#3?

Seem likely, but beyond that I think it's going to be a bunch of stability/bug fixes/workflow 'improvements'

01 January 2013
I think its pretty safe to say that max 2014 wont bring much to the table since all the reforms that has been going on with the 3ds max dev team.

However, I hope we start seeing some progress with max 2015.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Seem likely, but beyond that I think it's going to be a bunch of stability/bug fixes/workflow 'improvements'

It scaries me most. It's like killing hydra - for each head cut off you get two more.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I think its pretty safe to say that max 2014 wont bring much to the table since all the reforms that has been going on with the 3ds max dev team.

However, I hope we start seeing some progress with max 2015.

from my side this will be a big disappointing ((( for me at lest )))
for this reason :
- first we got a full version (( 2013 )) almost without any thing new only focusing on fixing and debugging some points and little sooooooooooo little new tools
- with the big and the relay good news during the previous year (( Kees, McCarthy, and zap hiring - Naiad buying )) we all expected tooooooooooooo much
- after around four versions it will be tooo boring to not see exbr uncompleted yet (( or unreliable result ))

01 January 2013
Here's an interview with Frank Delise on maxunderground.com

http://www.maxunderground.com/frank_delise_interview

Sure he talks a bit "suite" like, but i think he really is commited to Max's improvement....

Regarding the upcoming Max version:
As i said earlier, i don't expect wonders and a sudden 180 turn to pure awesomeness and 100% focus on things i want to have, and 2014 will not disappoint me. Thats my stance...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Thread Closed share thread