2013 extension announcement...rant

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by iceman32: Is this right? The file is 210MB big, and only contains a Cache Disk operator for PFlow?

It contains all of them, but if you don't have the Suite license then you can only use Cache, but if you open a file that uses those features it will work, but you can't change anything about them. At least that was my understanding.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by KellyM: Once we get a fix we to rebuild the full package, run that through an automated test suite, update the installer, rebuild the installer. From there the installer goes through a series of various install tests over multiple OSs, each in 64bit and 32bit, as well as testing deployments. All licensing must also be validated on each OS. Once all that passes QA then takes a pass over the extension and the entire 3ds Max build once the extension is installed. On a full build all features of 3ds Max get tested on every potential shipping release to be sure the rebuild did not introduce any issues elsewhere in the code. After the QA lead says its a "Go" this all starts over for the various languages.

Then the new 3ds Max and each language has to be replaced in the Suites build. So that installer needs updating then install and licensing testing on the suite. Then this starts over for each of the Suites languages.

Once the suite team gets it rebuilt we make a QA pass on it to verify all is good. This pass isn't as extensive but still takes time. Often we will then post the build to beta to get customer coverage and let it "bake" for a little.

Help and readmes must also be validated and updated as needed too.

It also takes time to rebuild the marketing communications for 3ds Max and the Suites so that we donít post something without the proper supporting info. That can take weeks alone.

Now add slow as hell, buggy software that you payed too much for to the process and welcome to our world.

08 August 2012
What I'd like to know is why it took so long to get recompiles for 2013.

It seems an awful coincidence that it's only happening after this announcement - are we now at the stage when 3rd party plugins that could have been made available months ago are held back to suit a Press Release?

08 August 2012
I hadn't thought about that, and WOULDN'T have considered that a possibility until this latest nonsense.

What I have to think about now is: IF I really think it's possible that they might be that underhanded, can I continue to deal with them -even if the products improve?

08 August 2012
Other people have stated the issue more clearly than I could, so I'm just posting to add another voice to the chorus, in hopes that Autodesk gets the point. We'll probably end up begrudgingly keeping some/most of our seats on subscription due to the investment we have in Max plugins and education, but half of our team has taken the time to download the Houdini learning addition after the price drop announcement. That should speak volumes about where our people think that future is.

Our team could've used Box3. In fact, we bought and used it heavily few years back, but abandoned it when Krakatoa's magmaflow started to cover much of we were using box3 for. What magmaflow doesn't cover, can be done more painfully and slowly with maxscript. Box3 was finicky (buggy), but still a nice addition that I would've loved to get as a pack-in.

As a side-note, I have to wonder how there can not be a conflict of interest in the way Autodesk works with Orbaz. It seems to me, that it's in Autodesk's best interest to have the greatest, most empowering particle system built right into Max, but it would seem to be better for Orbaz to have a limited-functionality framework inside Max, for which they can sell boxes. I'm going to make a wild guess that Orbaz brings out more boxes at some point, then a few years later, Autodesk will buy those and roll them into subscription updates after Orbaz has made some money.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by neutronrobot: ...I'll be looking at non-Autodesk owned competition.

Blender? Houdini? Lightwave?.....Strata?

Well we have the same monopoly in:
OS -> Microsoft
Paint, Video, Compositing -> Adobe
Look at Adobe's pricing and update policy!...Now that makes one cry!

Before AD took over, wasn't it a "pita" transfering data from one app to another?
I like the way it is now.
And having matchmover and toxic in the package is a very convenient situation.
Does Houdini or Blender or Lightwave also have this compatibility and apps on top?

And during the last 10 years everything got more expensive. Regarding subcription,
the price for gas and electricity i have to pay every month is far more annoying than higher subscription price. i.e. Where i live as a freelancer i am paying about 2500 $ a year just for electric power.That makes you consider when using your renderfarm.

How unworldly is it to think that a price for a software would stay the same for years and years?
And to think even more realistic, ranting about it doesn't make it cheaper.

Last edited by captain brainiac : 08 August 2012 at 11:11 PM.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by captain brainiac: Blender? Houdini? Lightwave?.....Strata?

Well we have the same monopoly in:
OS -> Microsoft
Paint, Video, Compositing -> Adobe
Look at Adobe's pricing and update policy!...Now that makes one cry!

Before AD took over, wasn't it a "pita" transfering data from one app to another?
I like the way it is now.
And having matchmover and toxic in the package is a very convenient situation.
Does Houdini or Blender or Lightwave also have this compatibility and apps on top?

And during the last 10 years everything got more expensive. Regarding subcription,
the price for gas and electricity i have to pay every month is far more annoying than higher subscription price. i.e. Where i live as a freelancer i am paying about 2500 $ a year just for electric power.That makes you consider when using your renderfarm.

How unworldly is it to think that a price for a software would stay the same for years and years?

Most people here are not taking issue with the price hike, rather, the decision to offer extra functionality to those who own a product bundle. Let's stay on the rails here.

08 August 2012

No, but no-one buying it certainly made Toxik cheaper.

08 August 2012

you forgot Cinema4D, which is looking quite more impressive than a few years ago... Because, you know, they actually develop new stuff with each new version.

08 August 2012
so...back up a little...starting to see the big picture?

Big Picture:
autodesk want people to migrate to suites and kill off selling a single app, be that 3dsmax, mudbox, maya or motion builder.

how to persuade people to 'go' suites?...cripple the single apps with the following:

1.raise the subs pricing 45% (uk) so that suite prices are not THAT far away from 3dsmax subs.
2.give exclusive FULL advantage pack updates to suite subscribers only to make 'em feel special.
3.make 3dsmax only subs user feel they're missing stuff (second class citizens)
4.fracture 3dsmax users into 3dsmax design or 3dsmax..setting them on a path where you know something not good will arrive in the future!.

so...long term goal for autodesk is to double the money coming in from subscription per user by migrating them to a suite only model.

there's a finite amount of users...so to expand you need to charge more per user...this tactic has been created by the bean counters as the way forward.

however:
I and a few friends have a plan b...i bought modo 601 and have an option to upgrade my lightwave to 11.5

modo and lightwave don't replace 3dsmax feature for feature "yet" but they ARE being actively developed and they listen to their users requests/feelings.

There's other fish to catch out there be it cinema4d, houdini etc.
If autodesk play this wrong they might have a stampede of users going out of the autodesk empire to other solutions.

the bigger you are the harder you fall...be careful and respect your user base please.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 08 August 2012 at 12:54 PM.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by cresshead: how to persuade people to 'go' suites?...cripple the single apps with the following:

1.raise the subs pricing 45% (uk) so that suite prices are not THAT far away from 3dsmax subs.
2.give exclusive FULL advantage pack updates to suite subscribers only to make 'em feel special.
3.make 3dsmax only subs user feel they're missing stuff (second class citizens)
4.fracture 3dsmax users into 3dsmax design or 3dsmax..setting them on a path where you know something not good will arrive in the future!.

Quoted for agreement.

I am a long time Max user (R4), I was even a beta tester for a couple of versions as well, and I have to say that this is a low blow.

If it hasn't been said before, let me try to say it again, as simple as possible:

AD advertises the subscription as having access to the latest technology updates. AD are now withholding the latest technology updates to users with subscriptions. This is known as false advertisement. Are the people at AD really scratching their heads as to why we are annoyed?

Come on AD, get it together...

08 August 2012
i cant understand the problems here. I have new install 3dsmax2023 Updade 12 and it works great. The only problem what i have is, if i click the middle mouse Button is my Doorbell ringing.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by thorsten hartmann: i cant understand the problems here. I have new install 3dsmax2023 Updade 12 and it works great. The only problem what i have is, if i click the middle mouse Button is my Doorbell ringing.

I hope that get fixed before update 16.

08 August 2012

Blender can read a lot of file formats (you have to manually enable them, hit Cntrl U).
Houdini isn't as good, from my experience, but it's importing abilities are getting better.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by bellsoffreedom: Blender can read a lot of file formats (you have to manually enable them, hit Cntrl U).
Houdini isn't as good, from my experience, but it's importing abilities are getting better.

blender also has tracking and compositing IN the app..as well as fluid dynamics and sculpting.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Thread Closed share thread