CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #31
PiledotNET
Filipe M. Deschamps

Great!!

I think is just to move the affected rounding vertices of the Isoline cage (of the hires model) to the same place of the lowpoly model. I mean "just" in a very noob programer way.

Or make the details you want in the hires model and it pushback to the lowres.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #32
f97ao
PolySpeeded!

CGSociety Member
Andreas Oberg

Send a message via ICQ to f97ao Send a message via MSN to f97ao
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiledotNET
Great!!

I think is just to move the affected rounding vertices of the Isoline cage (of the hires model) to the same place of the lowpoly model. I mean "just" in a very noob programer way.

Or make the details you want in the hires model and it pushback to the lowres.
Yea, I'm thinking of something similar to that. Hmmm, I will look at it. Ok I looked at it a little and some things worth mentioning:
- you can't use the high res version for the low cage since they won't create the same high res.
- very nasty problem is that ALL the vertices may have to change to fit the high resolution version. If you have a fairly smal object and introduce another edge loop then the complete geometry may change. I don't think there is much that we can do to fix that.

So it should be possible to make it look pretty close to what we want but never exactly I think, then we would have to move around the other vertices of the base mesh.

/Andreas

Last edited by f97ao : 10-29-2004 at 09:34 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #33
Rivendale
Right here

portfolio
Carl-Mikael Lagnecrantz
CG artist
Stockholm, Sweden

Hey, I have worked out a tool for adjusting the connetion to fit the flow of the mesh like some suggested. Here is a short video example of that:

http://members.chello.se/mille0/ConnectS.avi

There's still some work to do on it to make it work well on some occasions. Right now it only works well if the edges "above" and "below" to the connectd edge are roughly the same size.

I havn't had time to do a video on some of the other features of SelectionMaster but I will get around to it soon.

CML

Old 10-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #34
f97ao
PolySpeeded!

CGSociety Member
Andreas Oberg

Send a message via ICQ to f97ao Send a message via MSN to f97ao
Cool. I don't think it's possible to freeze the sub-d completely, but this should be almost as good.
/Andreas

Old 10-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #35
PiledotNET
Filipe M. Deschamps

Very very great!!

Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #36
Bezerker75
3 Dart, LLC

portfolio
Michael Zurcher
Animator/owner
3 Dart, LLC
Exton, USA

yeah this script looks great! can't wait,
but in the meantime this script http://www.flamefx.com/
it has alot of the same features and it's free! and very powerful as well....I give many thanks to him for creating this great tool to use and giving it up for free.....along with sample videos!!!

Old 10-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #37
robinb
Expert

That script looks very useful Rivendale, I've been wanting something like that for a while for game models. I can rarely afford to subdivide an area in both directions (if I did I'd have to remove the edges in one direction) so this sort of tool would really help keep the poly count under control.

Just one question though- does it only work on whole rings or will it work on a selection of edges that don't go right round? It'd be much more useful to me if it can work on a selection.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #38
DentonVanZan
Veteran

hold on a sec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezerker75
yeah this script looks great! can't wait,
but in the meantime this script http://www.flamefx.com/
it has alot of the same features and it's free! and very powerful as well....I give many thanks to him for creating this great tool to use and giving it up for free.....along with sample videos!!!

I agree with Bezerker75, this script deserves very much appreciation. God saves him. I have just sent him my praises for it. I have already learnt using all in a day start kicking @ss in polys. I think people like this and cspolytools and meshtools should be awarded.

If I look from the programmer's point of view I cant even imagine how much it will take to design an interface like Pola X with maxscript. And best of all it works!

$60 bucks is too much for a thing like this if there are other solutions. Maybe I sound harsh, but for me the free way is the way to go, but the most appreciated and praised way too. Be it TreeMaker, Orionflame, csPolyTools, Meshtools.

By the way discreet should add it to its core, or make it in one way or another. We are the ones who gives 3495 bucks for every license. And I think I deserve some functionality like this. We cant ask people like these to code them for us.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #39
Rivendale
Right here

portfolio
Carl-Mikael Lagnecrantz
CG artist
Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks for the feedback people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentonVanZan
...for me the free way is the way to go...

Why don't you tell that to your boss, I'm sure he will be happy to hear that you will be working for free from now on
Sure, if this was just a few tools then there would not be much sense in charging for them, but this is quite an extensive set of tools that has taken a lot of time to develop, so I see nothing wrong with charging for a thing like this. Just because these tools are made with maxscript doesn't make them any less valid as a plugin in my opinion, and you're not saying that all plugins or software should be made for free are you? The time tools like this can save on a project more than makes up for the cost in the end, plus they are fun

The orionflame scripts looks great, I did not know about them until recently. It has some good things in there that I think can complement the SelectionMaster tools.

cheers,
CML

Old 10-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #40
Rivendale
Right here

portfolio
Carl-Mikael Lagnecrantz
CG artist
Stockholm, Sweden

DentonVanZan- Hey, I don't know what you're on about, but there are very few tools in SelectionMaster that can be replaced with existing scripts. I'm quite offended by the fact that you're saying I ripped most of it off. I have gotten ideas from other scripts and apps and not all of the tools are revolutionary but they are neccessary to make a complete toolset. If you want to keep plugging orionflame I suggest you start another thread about that.

peace,
CML

Last edited by Rivendale : 10-30-2004 at 05:04 PM.

Old 10-30-2004, 07:06 PM   #41
Rivendale
Right here

portfolio
Carl-Mikael Lagnecrantz
CG artist
Stockholm, Sweden

robinb- thanks, the tool works on selected edges only if ctrl is not pressed.

CML

Old 10-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #42
robinb
Expert

That's cool. Sounds great.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:39 AM   #43
DentonVanZan
Veteran

man why I open another thread, it was just my opinion.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:33 AM   #44
massiveATTACK16

hi rivendale your script is nice, where can I download it? I couldnt find on your site. But it looks almost like a script package called orion flame, but you have some more stuff, so please tell me where is your link so I could start evaluation your codes. Thanks alot pal.

Neil

Old 10-31-2004, 12:59 PM   #45
Rivendale
Right here

portfolio
Carl-Mikael Lagnecrantz
CG artist
Stockholm, Sweden

Yes you can have your opinion and it's interesting to hear it, but judging from your recent postings I think you're just so excited about orionflame that you didn't stop to take a closer look on what kind of tools there are in SelectionMaster. Most of the tools in there are unique to max and any other app for that matter. Here is a list of tools in SelectionMaster that cannot be found elsewhere that I know of:

Growloop for all SO with ability to turn loop
Shrinkloop for all SO
Outline polygons/verts
Ring polygon
Fill selection
Fill hole
Stepmode
Dotloop
Select tops
Grow2
Random shrink/grow
Grow/shrink from spinner
Remove loop in vert/poly SO
Insert loop in vert/poly SO
Build loopcorner
Build loops end
Autocornered loop
Autoended loop
Random connect
Connect keep meshflow
Autosmooth/hard model or selection with one click
11 of the patternmaker tools
Selectionmixer copy paste selection between models
Selection from bitmap
Selection to bitmap
Select by normalangle
Project selection from perspective view with optional outline
Select half
Select by distance from center
Grow from perspective view
Select even/odd elements by step
Move/duplicate selection along element numbers

Each one of these are in my opinon very useful tools(um..that's why I included them) and I think these alone is more than enough to warrant a plugin of it's own.

Coming up: Teaser video #2 showing more features.

CML

Last edited by Rivendale : 10-31-2004 at 01:03 PM.

Thread Closed share thread