"Select and Move/Rotate" options

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
"Select and Move/Rotate" options

This must be pretty simple but I cant figure it out.

Imagine I have 2 objects. I select one of them, right click on "Select and move" and see the coordinates of its pivot. I now select a second object in a completely different location and I want it to be placed on the same location as the first one.
What I do is copy/paste the X, Y and Z of the first using the "select and move" right click menu.

Isnt there a faster way?
What if I have 3 objects that I want to place on the same location as the first?
What if I am in Edit Poly/ Vertex mode and want to place several vertices on the same specific Z plane coordinate of some other vertex?

07 July 2006
OK - all of this can be done from the transform coordinates type in box, or indeed the little box at the bottom of the screen, underneath the timeline.

When it comes to matching an object's coordinates, I suggest usign the align tool - 'alt-a' - its much quicker.

07 July 2006
And what is the difference between Offset and Absolute? I cant grasp the theory of it...Absolute I understand but offset? When should I use it?

Oh, and the align tool is amazing!! How the hell hadn't I used it before??

07 July 2006
And what about the question of the vertices:

Imagine I want al the edge vertices (who I changed their X coordinates) to align to the top vertex X coordinate? The only way I can do it is one by one, is there a faster way?

07 July 2006
Scale them along the x axis to 0%(hit F12) and then move them all together to the desired position.

07 July 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread