Introducing: PolyBoost - teaser video

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Very great!

where link download the plugin ?

Is working for 3dsmax5.0 ?

You

Thanks Mr.Rivendale

I need tutorials more for SelectionMaster for modeling cars ..

Last edited by Faris3D : 10 October 2004 at 01:12 PM.

10 October 2004
There is much more tools in Rivendales Selection Master than in any other toolset there is.
I think you guys are expecting people to work for you for free to easily. Do you like to work for free yourself? Would you spend 1000 hours on a tool and give it away "just for the fun"?

Also Rivendales tools aren't finished yet, he will add quite a bunch of more tools. Even though his current toolbox is strong enough now to warrant the price imho. I mean hello, 50-60 bucks? That is no money if you earn money on doing 3d graphics. It will be no time before on has earned back the money by just the time saved using such a toolset. And what is more important it's possible to create better art in the same time. That is at least what I value highly.

In the end you yourself will just have to decide if it's worth the money. If it's not well don't buy it, but I would be surprised and disapointed if most folks think 50-60 dollars is too much to get what looks like the strongest selection toolset for any 3d program.

Another point about free scripts. Yes it's great that they do exist, big thanks to the people that made it. But myself I often think. pff well the potential is great but why do'nt they go commercial and make a 100% version that cost instead of a 70% version that is cool but doesn't work perfect. I think few people understand the work required in the difference between a free script and a full scaled program. The work difference is often enormous.

/Andreas

10 October 2004
Rivendale...contrary to other posts I think that $50-$60 is a real bargain for the convenience and time savings these tools offer. I don't know a damned thing about scripting, but I'm happy to pay for work done well that helps the creative process move along more easily. If it weren't for people like you and the rest of the scripting community (will this really be the last from you?) we'd be stuck with the latest .X upgrade from discreet. Keep up the good work!

10 October 2004
hey there,

this looks indeed to be a VERY great addition to ANYONES modeling workflow, there's just a few things that I was wondering, [and I do admit that I merely scanned this thread for replies, so forgive me if it's been covered]

What I was wondering is if this will work with the new edit poly modifier in max7 [meshtools 3.0 for instance works on the base object but not in the modifier] and what are your ideas about keeping it working over new version, I mean yes, great that you're pouring so much time into this and imo well worht the money you will probably ask for it, but what when max 8 comes out [or heavons mercy a new maxcore] will you update it and if so, free of charge or for a small fee ?

with asking money for services rendered comes greater responsibillity, that amongst other things is why there are so many free scripts, they work for version x but don't come complaining it doesn't work in version Y, what do you want, it's free . . .

anyhoo, great to see that after all these years people are still putting effort and time into expanding the capabillities of max.

cheers,

Yves.

10 October 2004
Well, since selection tools is a script it should have no probs working in max8+.

The edit poly modifier is problematic to program. I'm strugleing with this myself in PolySpeed. Basically almost ALL functions are different for edit_polyl. So pff all object funtions have to be rewritten. And I'm sure you see that this isn't too cool. However it's not impossible, it just takes time.

/Andreas

11 November 2004
Faris3D- Thank you very much, the plugin is still under development so it will take another couple of months (maybe 2) before final release. The SelectionMaster tools works fine in max5. They are tested in max5 and max7, so I think it's safe to say they also work in max6

f97ao- Hey, thanks for the backup, couldn't agree more with what you said about the extra work necessary to make the tool a complete commercial tool. When you make free scripts you can get away with some things not working all the time, but for a commercial plugin people expect it to work all the time, so you have to go that extra mile to make sure of that.

strangelife- Thanks man

Equinoxx- Thanks a lot. As it stands now the tools do not work with the Edit poly modifier. I will look into it. I don't know how much work it will be to do it but if it's too much to do now, I'm thinking of releasing that as an upgrade later on. Haven't thought much about upgrade costs yet but if max gets a new core I think it would be a lot of work to do it. In that case there would most likely be higher cost than a normal upgrade wich would have a very low cost if any.

I have now worked more on the connect-tool that keeps meshflow intact and it now works well even if the edges are not of same length, so it's starting to look like a really useful tool.
I have also made sure that all tools work with symmetry and other modifiers in the stack.
Btw, I still have one button to fill in the modeling section heh, so if you have any ideas or requests tell me.

Video is coming...got to find some time

CML

11 November 2004
Hi Rivendale,

I think the price is right. I was on my way out of Max because of frustrations with slow viewports and some limited modeling tools (yeap mostly selections). However the work of other Max users like you and Mr Polyspeed and the excellent work of some plugin developers are the main reason why I stick to Max. Heck, the best things Max has ever given me are Vray, PowerRhinotoMax and Ghost Painter (all 3rd,. party plugins)

I'm upgrading to Max 7 to be able to use turbosmooth and the edit poly modifier (about time Discreet!), so having your plugin working in the edit_poly is a must for me, and it might be for other people too, so please keep that in mind.

I also assume Max 8 HAS to have a new core, unless they are really trying to go out of business, so it would be good to know what your intentions are in that scenario. Would you make an upgrade? I'm more concerned about starting to use a dead-end plugin, than having to pay full price again if needed when version 8 comes out. If it means that you have to rework the whole thing, I can obviously expect you would want to get paid all over again, but if you have no interest on doing a rewrite if necessary it would be nice to know. MAn, I know, I know you have not even release this first version yet, and I'm already asking you all these what ifs, but some of us a a bit paranoid when it comes to this. I hope you understand.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by gustojunk: Hi Rivendale,

I think the price is right. I was on my way out of Max because of frustrations with slow viewports and some limited modeling tools (yeap mostly selections). However the work of other Max users like you and Mr Polyspeed and the excellent work of some plugin developers are the main reason why I stick to Max. Heck, the best things Max has ever given me are Vray, PowerRhinotoMax and Ghost Painter (all 3rd,. party plugins)

Hey, thanks. Mmm, maybe I should change my name to Mr PolySpeed. And I do agree about Vray. Max7 is very, very good in many ways I must say. There is more than turboSmooth and edit_poly really.

Originally Posted by gustojunk: I'm upgrading to Max 7 to be able to use turbosmooth and the edit poly modifier (about time Discreet!), so having your plugin working in the edit_poly is a must for me, and it might be for other people too, so please keep that in mind.

I also assume Max 8 HAS to have a new core, unless they are really trying to go out of business, so it would be good to know what your intentions are in that scenario. Would you make an upgrade? I'm more concerned about starting to use a dead-end plugin, than having to pay full price again if needed when version 8 comes out. If it means that you have to rework the whole thing, I can obviously expect you would want to get paid all over again, but if you have no interest on doing a rewrite if necessary it would be nice to know. MAn, I know, I know you have not even release this first version yet, and I'm already asking you all these what ifs, but some of us a a bit paranoid when it comes to this. I hope you understand.

Personally I don't think there is going to be a rewrite with max8, but I'm only guessing. I think what they are trying to do is to rewrite parts of max, just like they have been doing lately. They have this quicksilver team that are working on fixing core problems in max at a steady pace. So I think these plugins should have few problems in future versions of max, I doubt they will rewrite 90% of the program, more like 10-20% every time I think.

/Andreas

11 November 2004
I know this rumors about 3ds max rewrite are endless, but one my trusted friend told me that those time (max 8) it will be real rewrite, but only partial, of some critical core functions. It looks like after max 7 discreet have dive much deeper in 3ds core, so now it can have a chance to change something there
btw, there are rumors that alias will rewrite some critical parts of maya for maya 6.5 update Will see...

11 November 2004
I am sorry for opening that can of worms with the orionflame link, I was not intending it to say it's better, or that you shouldn't be entittled to charge for all your hard work. I merely wanted to put out there that there is a cool script that has a few of the functions you had for people to play around with...I mean in my opinion, I think for the amount of tools you will have in selection master, I think your price is more than fair, and I will most likely be a customer to you....so for DentonVanZan enjoy free scripts, but don't bash people for putting out great new functionality in max and wanting to be compensated for it. I am just glad that there are people like Rivendale, and f97ao who can make these amazing tools....I mean they could just decide to keep them for themselves, and not sell them, then who would benefit...So again I am sorry for bringing that into the thread, and look forward to seeing the new video teaser...thanks again guys...keep on maxin!

Cheers

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Rivendale: As it stands now the tools do not work with the Edit poly modifier. I will look into it. I don't know how much work it will be to do it but if it's too much to do now, I'm thinking of releasing that as an upgrade later on.

This would be a terribly useful feature if it can be implemented.

- Neil

11 November 2004
From what I can gather, the quicksilver project at Discreet is essentially a rewrite of the core of Max. It began in Max 6 and has continued in Max 7 and probably will continue for several more updates. Once you use Max 7, you'll see that they've made massive leaps in speed and responsivness (not to mention some great updates to the SDK and script features over the last few updates) all over the application. I think the plan is to replace portions of the core with each release.

Back on topic, your selection tools script plugin looks fantastic. Can't wait to buy it. I've also heard quite a few praises of polyspeed. Can someone post a link to it or explain more in depth what it is?
www.anticz.com
www.nyxies.com
===================

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by anticz: Back on topic, your selection tools script plugin looks fantastic. Can't wait to buy it. I've also heard quite a few praises of polyspeed. Can someone post a link to it or explain more in depth what it is?

What is PolySpeed? (quick answer):
PolySpeed speedup large objects enormously in max. To model with meshsmooth on 300k objects is possible with full speed. Speedup is actually 100x-1000x. Also Symmetry, Vertex Paint, normal editable_poly modeling, the viewports are greatly speedup. It also has some modeling/selection features included similar to those in Selection Master. It can harden smooth edges, face loops, connect edges etc.

The PolySpeed thread on CgTalk:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...44&page=1&pp=15

The PolySpeed forums (register to test the alpha and ask questions etc)
http://www.fusion-wave.com/forum/index.php

Back on topic:
It is definetly possible for RivenDale to make it work on edit_poly object. But all the function calls has to be rewritten which is somewhat painful. It also includes some other problems.

PolySpeed doesn't work on edit_poly modifier now either, but I plan to change that later. However the edit_poly modifier is pretty slow by nature, and has some limitations.

/Andreas

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by f97ao: Back on topic:
It is definetly possible for RivenDale to make it work on edit_poly object. But all the function calls has to be rewritten which is somewhat painful. It also includes some other problems.

As a coder myself, I understand that the request is not a trivial one, but it would still be very, very useful.

- Neil

11 November 2004
looks really neat, just wondering however, have you (rivendale) got some practical examples, I read about the examples of ship's plating, and organic holes and such, but for instance, in your video you are using a square, how will the loops and, well actually all the selection tools work on a model with a far les square approach?

Not to bump you, I am going to try OrionFlame soon, since that one looks rather neat as well. Ussually, I see all these neat plugins, free or at cost, but in the end, when I'm back behind the pc at school, I'm not allowed toinstall them anyway, and I find I can do a lot of work using max's basic tools.

for instance, isn't there loop and ring select like this in MAX6 editpoly? What are the min differences between this. All the other selctions stuff do look great by the way. Really really great, I'm just being picky. And since it is going to be a plugins with a price, I think I am entitled to be picky, since if i pay for it, I expect it to work the way I expect it to.

Not trying to bring this plugin down, Just interested in the differences and enhancements that weren't that very apparent in the video. If I had a job with max, I would use either orionflame, or/and this one.

Thread Closed share thread