One World, One BIG Dream! (Beijing 2008 ceremony show!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
I don't know what's so hard to understand about the rule "NO POLITICS IN HERE", but apparently a lot of people smart enough to use a CGI/DCC application find it beyond challenging.

Seriously, KEEP THE BLOODY POLITICS OUT OF HERE.
We don't NEED to know what's going on in any nation in here, it's not a matter of turning a blind eye or anything, it's a matter of this being a forum dedicated to a very specific subject (CG) and not wanting any flamable material in high visibility threads.

If anything you're about to post has even a very slight political load or nuance to it, spare us, please.
If people want to be informed they have other sites they can check, and if they don't want to be, it is NOT your job to inform them, nor your duty, at least not in a privately run, free and regulated forum.

If that's still not clear enough you possibly grew up too close to power lines or inhaling too much fresh paint.

08 August 2008
It was totally amazing without a doubt!

I too would love to see it in HD and I'm sure they'll probably release it on as many purchaseable formats as possible, hehe. The colours of absolutely everything from the makeup to the costumes, lighting, projections etc was so incredible! I missed part of the start apparently with some great drumming and the flame so I'll have to catch up on those parts for sure.

Definitely lots of CG involved and it all worked well.

Maya, 3Delight, mentalray, Maxwell Render, ZBrush
Photoshop, Fusion, Vegas Pro, Syntheyes

08 August 2008
watched on NBC in hi def and it looked awesome. would love to buy that on disc with no commercial breaks and no commentary.

so colorful and peaceful, but so bold at the same time. the amount of people involved was crazy [and no duplicates, every person did 1 thing, they didn't double up anyone]. it's going to be hard for any other country to top that.

08 August 2008
it just awesome..
imagine control all the crew at the same time...woo..it is just amazing.
the pyro-work is just great.
really looking for HD version.
hope they launch dvd or blu-ray of it.

08 August 2008
Stunning - I was gobsmacked and seriously worried for the guys who are in charge for the 2012 london olympics

So much of the 3d design that was operated by human motion will go down in history - what timing. Great work and very nice entertainment.

P.S. Well done to those girls dancing all the way through the athlete walk. Must have been very tired.

So far the games are really entertaining and a lot of hard work has clearly gone into everything from both the hosts and all athletes. Come on team GB! hehe

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

08 August 2008
Talking lol

Originally Posted by vfx: seriously worried for the guys who are in charge for the 2012 london olympics

lol! I wish really luck be with em! or else I think then thought china can add the "executing live show programs" to his exported things to whole the world! just like other ones!

Originally Posted by vfx: P.S. Well done to those girls dancing all the way through the athlete walk. Must have been very tired.

are they included for Doping tests too btw?! I have to do it even if I was going to just watch whole of that! I'm really worry about them! where are em right now?! are they can dance even one more time ever in her lifes?! shame!

mim,

08 August 2008
i swear the moving block character thing was computerized, but when those guys popped out of the middle of them, i was dumb struck. they did such a good job.

also, did anyone else get nervous when the torch bearer went up to the top of the stadium then suddenly fell a little bit so he could run sideways? i thought something went wrong for a second.

08 August 2008
I found this video that shows some of the opening ceremony.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/16011...pening_ceremony

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by ecore: the "big footprints" of fireworks (and the bird's eye view of Beijing city) you saw in broadcast were CG made, but there were real footprints fireworks.

I knew it!!! Are you 100% certain of that?? I was going to post that, that bit was CG. Its not possible for helicopters to move at those speeds and capture it the way it did. It was too perfect.

I believe they did the firworks, but that shot was fakery. Which, i have to say, i dont really like. I would have preferred some real shots, even if they werent as well directed as the CG shot.

On another note, UTTERLY FANTASTIC. Beutiful show. Best ceremony ever (not that i remeber or probly even SAW the others lol), and yes i agree, UK will not be able to compete. It will be good, but not as good. I think were only spending half the amount that China spent anyway, and the people and government still complain that that is too mcuh tax payers money. Who knows they may be right.

I live 10-15 mins drive from Stratford where 2012 olympics will be. This has got me excited as to how close i will be to the action, and how much it will change the area where i live :d I hope we put on something spectacular too!

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by heavyness: ....would love to buy that on disc with no commercial breaks and no commentary...

so colorful and peaceful, but so bold at the same time. the amount of people involved was crazy [and no duplicates, every person did 1 thing, they didn't double up anyone]. it's going to be hard for any other country to top that.

commercial breaks?! wowzers. that makes me really appreciate the bbc. 4h30 uninterrupted. and ye i agree, uk wont top that. was almost tearful (oh ok im soft, WAS tearful.)

OT: i beat ur geo wars 2 scores!! muahah

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by subtlebluetones: commercial breaks?! wowzers. that makes me really appreciate the bbc. 4h30 uninterrupted. and ye i agree, uk wont top that. was almost tearful (oh ok im soft, WAS tearful.)

OT: i beat ur geo wars 2 scores!! muahah

oh yeah, commercial breaks. this is America, we have ads everywhere.

OT: once i'm done with Braid, i'll beat yours

08 August 2008
the US web stream was ad-free

the web coverage of the olympics is also debuting alot of new technologies including apparently the way they make it so only approved ISP's can stream it and have it set up so that different countries have different websites- fortunately for me i happen to be on an ISP that works with my country's (USA) olympics website but some people i know arent so lucky and report that the streaming content is blocked.

anyways if it does happen to work for you, you can watch everything online, live, and ad-free. including the opening ceremony! screw the teevee.

and also watch any event, not just whatevers being broadcast on tv- so if you are interested in the more obscure sports like archery or field hockey you can actually see it now. its pretty neat.

streaming is not HD but at least as good as "broadcast".. and its actually a proper broadcast feed with multi-cameras, scoring, and editing, not just a webcam pointed at the event.. though not all the events have live commentary.. i assume the video is produced by the olympics people and its up to the affiliates what to do with it.. given that several things are always happening at once the ability to monitor 4 live video feeds simultaneously through the website (or any mix of live and pre recorded) has proven suprisingly entertaining this weekend.. certainly much better experience than watching whatever one popular sport with 35 commercials an hour they are showing over regular american TV. even if you do want to watch the popular stuff you dont get all the commercials.

i dont even care about sports really but the ability to watch whatever i want out of the many events uninterrupted, has made it much more interesting for me than having to watch the regular tv broadcast with commercials. and if it ever gets boring you can "change the channel" to a different event. its more like an entire self contained olympics TV network hooked up to a DVR on crack.

i hope they roll these technologies out to more live events and web video sites going forward.

Last edited by yenvalmar : 08 August 2008 at 04:31 PM.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Grizvon: So there's no videos of the opening ceremony, just pictures?

There’re some segments of the ceremony from NBC,Enjoy it!

(22mb)
ed2k://|file|olympics-opening1-NBC.mp4|23184588|3883BB6A532B78B631EF62699B2194A7| /
(22mb)
ed2k://|file|olympics-opening2-NBC.mp4|22065746|22A1A03DDA7FE4B11F86A739A1766BD3| /
(23mb)
ed2k://|file|olympics-opening3-NBC.mp4|24190706|F41E8E1227621CCF5E187A3643793136| /
(35mb)
ed2k://|file|olympics-opening4-NBC.mp4|36791762|968D69284B0B70E4CDAFE344357979A0| /
(32mb)
ed2k://|file|olympics-opening5-NBC.mp4|33603054|605D1560E24E44F71D3D17685645DAD8| /
(35mb)
ed2k://|file|olympics-opening6-NBC.mp4|36758319|1673242F8629F656C5CB03304D977687| /

08 August 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread