One World, One BIG Dream! (Beijing 2008 ceremony show!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by inguatu: it's actually pretty off-topic. there's no CG involved in putting on a stage show. There's probably other forums out there for stage shows and theatrics. This isn't it. While we can sit here and debate that art is art and blah blah blah.. it's off-topic here.

There was a crapton of motion graphics, mocap, various other capture devices, projection and design in general, not to mention a technically challenging and dangerous execution.
Plenty things in there that fit right in with what a lot of people on this board do for a living

As for me, I'm waiting for some pre-packaged and niftied up videos before watching it all, I'd like to see it on HD (couldn't see it live feed) the first time I see it, so I only saw a few bits that already made it through the tubes but there seems to be some very interesting stuff in there.

08 August 2008
China's all about the Crouching Tigers!
watched the show from start to end on the nbc coverage...impressive beyond pwn.

08 August 2008
Just finished watching the opening ceremony coverage on TV.

Fantastic show from China - a truly wonderful display of art.
Very inspirational for the whole world.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

08 August 2008
only seen the photos...is there any dedicated online links for this?

..i thought the ''olympics would melt the internet'...but have yet to find a live streaming site covering it!

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

08 August 2008
Check BBC iPlayer, they have the whole 4h30m of coverage on there, I missed prob the 1st half so I'll be taking it in again! Just seen the countdown, wow that was impressive, 14m into iPlayer coverage...

Website
Life in Black and White

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by inguatu: it's actually pretty off-topic. there's no CG involved in putting on a stage show. There's probably other forums out there for stage shows and theatrics. This isn't it. While we can sit here and debate that art is art and blah blah blah.. it's off-topic here.

obviously you did not see the show so STFU. there was an amazing inntegration of CG on large scale video displays including a 360 degree ring about 1/2 mile around, tightly synchronized with live performance, the likes of which i have not seen before. quite inspirational. unlike your closed mind

in addition the entire show was thoroughly previsualized in 3d before hand. this also might be interesting to some on the forum.

to me this show introduces whole new venues of using 3d as virtual elements of live performance, not to mention the venue of previsualizing live performances using 3d which is totally obvious now that i've seen it, but hey it didnt occur to me. so i appreciated this post.

Last edited by yenvalmar : 08 August 2008 at 08:37 AM.

08 August 2008
"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you."

ok.....

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by dickma: Firstly I am from Hong Kong, nationality is British while I am an ethnic Chinese.

However, those basic elements are just repeated his previous film "Curse of the Golden Flower" I think it is really wrong to put those elements to a "bad constructed" movie. Same fabulous scenery and also lots of manpower, but the scripts is just a "blank", devived from a famous Chinese Novel "The storm", about a family tradegy related to "love & sex affairs". When I saw thousands of chysanthemum pots were ruined because of the story goes, then "rebuilt" the whole scene with thousands of chysanthemum pots again after that, I was thinking, "What the F###? What a waste for the earth resources for this crap film! How many Chinese directors can make more films than wasting resources for this crap, because of Zhang!" So, after that I NEVER called Zhang a "Director"

May be because the 70 meters long of digital LED scroll in the Olympic Ceremony "saved" Zhang away from wasting earth resources. Actually it is the same as the "Curse of the Golden Flower".

well that actually makes me curious to see the film, although you dont like the story the ceremony was visually spectacular.

08 August 2008
folks, welcome to China enjoy the game.

Cheers.
Joe

08 August 2008
Arrow

I was totally blown away, and I think it's be best starting I remember from the olympics. Too bad many people lost their homes so the rest of us could enjoy

08 August 2008
the "big footprints" of fireworks (and the bird's eye view of Beijing city) you saw in broadcast were CG made, but there were real footprints fireworks.

Last edited by ecore : 08 August 2008 at 09:28 AM.

08 August 2008
Why do my comment have been removed just because I've said it's 'propaganda'? Some art are propoganda and propaganda is not always politic! All olypic games ceremony are propaganda for the country who does it and there's not politic judgement when I say that. I just say that's it's a propganda style whatever the quality is.

Just don't understand why you remove such a comment...

08 August 2008
I'm getting very tired of all of the protesting going on with these Olympics. There's a time and place for that and this is NOT it. Nobody watching these games does not know about the protesters and why they are protesting so doing so now is not going to bring any new attention to it what so ever. They need to understand that just because they don't like the government, protesting only hurts the games and the athletes right now. The protesters are taking the spotlight away from what the modern Olympics are supposed to be about, the people of the world putting aside their differences and coming together to celebrate and enjoy friendly competition and culture for a few short days.

99.9% of these athletes have spent their entire lives working up to this moment and will never be rich or famous or household names. Can we not just let them enjoy their moment for 16 measly days without getting our panties in a wad? That little boy walking along side Yao Ming who survived the earthquake and saved two classmates, do you really want to shit on his day? Like I said, nobody is going to be watching and say, "oh, those people are protesting and I have no idea why, lets go find out whats going on." The attention has already been called out and is in the open, take a breather. The same government will be there next month, so go knock your socks off.

As far as the opening ceremony, I always wonder how they're going to out-do what was done in previous opening ceremonies, and this one definitely blew everything else completely out of the water. What I like the most was the combination of high-tech and low-tech, soft and loud. They created animated LED displays with human pixels. Come on, the boxes moving up and down to create an animated 3D relief painting, all created by tightly choreographed people inside just moving up and down, thats just freakin awesome. What I'm wondering is who the display around the top of the arena was achieved as the final torch bearer was running along with it. I was thinking that this was a huge LED screen, but the commentators already said that the one on the floor was that largest they were using. Plus, you could see the runners shadow on the wall behind him. If it was an LED display, it would be self illuminating and therefore you wouldn't be able to see a shadow. Am I correct in assuming this? But if its projected, how did the projected image not only move with the runner, but the already projected image STAY projected on the wall behind him in the same place? Maybe rear projecting with hundreds of syncronzied projectors behind the walls? I just don't know. Everytime I think I understand it, something doesn't add up. Brilliant none the less.

08 August 2008
I think the reason why they're protesting at the olympics is because it's the best way for them to be heard. China's government has and is doing horrible things that people need to know about.

Thread Closed share thread