Redenbacher Revived for TV Spots

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
The commercial looks really good, but I think could've been pushed a little further. The lip sync is kinda what blew it for me. When he moves, it creeps me out a bit. And his head floats a little bit in some of the shots. It's like they sewed his head on to someone's body, but missed a few stitches! The Microwave POV shot looks pretty tight though.
The animation could be better, but when looking at a still frame, he looks really damn convincing.
He should've introduced himself by saying "Hi, I'm Orville Redenbacher, and I look great after being dead!", that would've been awesome.

www.jaygroden.com

01 January 2007
Hmm.. Fincher's involvement kind of makes sense.. I have a feeling that this commercial is somewhat related to PROJECT MAYHEM. The advertisement will subliminally scare consumers out of stuffing their faces with buttered popcorn and depending on such material possessions as ipods.

All kidding aside, the full high-res version did look a bit better but was even scarier.. Especially when the camera cut to him peering into the microwave. There's just something.. wrong.. about this. Watch one of these and you'll know what I'm talking about.

And the whole "old people trying to act hip" thing really bugs me, but that's just my opinion. Some people may find this amusing. It actually gave me a really cool idea for my CG Frank Perdue. A digitally ressurected Frank is beating a drum set with a pair of chicken legs. He's filling in for Kieth Moon while Roger Daltry sings a song about poultry and Pete Townsend turns up his hearing aid.. which is plugged into the amp!

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by Cig74: All kidding aside, the full high-res version did look a bit better but was even scarier.. Especially when the camera cut to him peering into the microwave. There's just something.. wrong.. about this. Watch one of these and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Yes, something about having an interior-microwave view of Orville reminded me of that scene in Kill Bill shot from the boot/trunk of a car. "I've kept you alive for one reason..."

01 January 2007
That bob he does at the end of the commercial could be the corniest most mesmerizing thing I've ever seen. I'm truly haunted and fascinated at the same time. I think I'll go gourge a bag of popcorn now.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by FloydBishop:
You guys at DD did the best with the subject matter though. The creepyness for me comes from the concept, not necessarily the execution.

Agreed. It's not perfect but it's very well done. To me the uncanny valley creepiness is trumped by the fact that this actually IS a dead human being we're watching. We're approaching an age where you don't need a shovel to play with a dead bodies.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by Mr. Positive: That bob he does at the end of the commercial could be the corniest most mesmerizing thing I've ever seen. I'm truly haunted and fascinated at the same time. I think I'll go gourge a bag of popcorn now.

It is very hypnotic. If I could make this into an animated gif and make it my avatar, I so would.

01 January 2007
I knew Fincher was up to something. Watch a little closer this time or you'll miss it.

01 January 2007
Am I the only one who is reminded of Weekend at Bernies?

01 January 2007
I think part of the reason it doesn't quite work is that the cg head doesn't feel coordinated with the live action body. It's not so much any compositing problem, it's more of a performance problem, like the head doesn't know what the body is doing.

I can appreciate that a full cg body would have a hard job being totally photorealistic, but the hybrid approach creates additional problems.

01 January 2007
That just joined the ranks of the "Puttermans" from the old Duracell commercial.

There's NO way I'm getting to bed after that. Good try, but definitely the stuff of nightmares.

01 January 2007
Holy re-animated cadaver!

01 January 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread