Fusion 7 is now FREE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2014
Fusion 7 is now FREE

Two versions of Fusion 7 are now available. A free version with virtually all the features available and a studio version. Currentlly only available on Windows and no doubt a Mac version will be on the way in the new year. This is great news and no doubt The Foundry will need to rethink pricing for Nuke, as Fusion is an advanced competitor now for free.

Desciption from their website:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

Fusion 7

Integrated 2D and 3D compositing and motion graphics software with a massive toolset featuring paint, rotoscope, titling, animation, multiple keyers including Primatte, an amazing 3D particle system, advanced keyframing, GPU acceleration, and support for importing and rendering 3D models and scenes from other applications.

Fusion 7 Studio

You get everything in Fusion 7 plus advanced optical flow image analysis tools for stereoscopic 3D work, retiming and stabilization. Fusion Studio also includes support for third-party OpenFX plugins, unlimited distributed network rendering, and Generation for studio wide multi user collaboration to track, manage, review and approve shots when working with large creative teams on complex projects.

Last edited by digital verve : 11 November 2014 at 08:11 AM.

11 November 2014
Even the pro version at $995 is amazing!

Looks like Black Magic is serious and starting off running down the track. Can't wait to see where they take this software. I am impressed.

11 November 2014
Wow after a couple of weeks of research and head scratching, I had just made the decision to purchase Fusion this week. NUKE light being too limited for its inexplicably exclusive high pricing, and fusion getting the price balance right. (Even then, but now it's a no brainer)

What a great start to the week. (Glad it took me so long to make up my mind)

11 November 2014
The new marketing and commercial force behind this is now night and day compared to what eyeon had.

There was a terrible webpage with barely no available info and where you had to take a DNA test to get access to a limited demo, and now there's a big "download" for free button, whith a wealth of information on a slick design...

I was almost going to learn fusion when the free non-commercial nuke was announced...Then I thought I'd wait and go nuke ple and now this... Good times for compositing.

If this is as good as the free Davinci, I'm onboard.
Thanks Blackmagic!

Last edited by EricM : 11 November 2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo

11 November 2014
Blackmagic rocks : )

11 November 2014
I have to say, i am beyond impressed. Did not see this coming at all.

Fusion was always a solid comping app, and while i doubt large studios will care about this, there are hundreds of small shops that will surely give a second thought to purchasing nuke. Hell, you can get a full comp/grade/edit suite for just under 2K. Amazing. Throw Blender/Krita in there and a Houdini indie license, and you have everything covered for a very acceptable price.

I never understood why the foundry, autodesk and the others never actually cared about the huge purchasing difference between large and small studios, or even freelancers for that matter. Throwing 4K on a 3d app, and another 5K on a comping app, and another 5K on a grading app was just never a realistic option for people that worked in very small teams or on their own. Plus there's also a huge difference between markets everywhere. Doing post production in London is not the same as doing post production in say, eastern europe. And then they would come out and argue that piracy has to be stopped and that it's unethical and unprofessional, but they never offered people real alternatives.
Instead of employing completely unethical strategies like spying on people everywhere and then going on a global witchunt for pirated copies of their apps, they could've just as easily offered viable alternatives. And i don't mean offering a non commercial version of your app for free and then stating that you can only use it outside of your working hours....

Big big kudos to blackmagic for this!

Last edited by oktawu : 11 November 2014 at 10:37 AM.

11 November 2014
This is really interesting, Blackmagic loves to shake things up don't they. One thing that really gets on my goat is when you see cgi with greenscreen behind it. I can't be the only one.

Can't wait till the mac release.

11 November 2014
I love good news ! Black Magic Rocks. I hope they will soon make an offer with a DaVinci/Fusion connection in order to get a fluent Comp/Edit tools at affordable price for small shops.

That's cool to have a solid nodal package in Shake Price range.

11 November 2014
Wow, that's... well, pretty insane really. But in a good way

11 November 2014
Wow....

I knew BlackMagic would save Fusion from the Eyeon's marketing failure. But i didn't expect this!

11 November 2014
Great news.
So is the free version for non-commercial work only?

11 November 2014
Originally Posted by Hirazi: Great news.
So is the free version for non-commercial work only?

You can do commercial projects in it. There is no limits apart for the Studio version having a few extra features.

11 November 2014
Wow, thanks a lot for the heads-up. Great news!

Cheers!

11 November 2014
Doesn't look like there are any commercial restrictions on the free version. This is fantastic news, will certainly be giving it a trial run.

11 November 2014
Its astonishing.. got into work, downloaded it. installed it.. It doesnt ask for anything. Just works.

I feel like I'm doing something naughty.

reply share thread