Inside Industrial Light & Magic Vancouver’s new 30,000 sq. ft. Gastown studio (PHOTOS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2014   #1
Inside Industrial Light & Magic Vancouver’s new 30,000 sq. ft. Gastown studio (PHOTOS

Quote:
"Lucasfilm’s Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) unveiled its new 30,000 sq. ft. studio on 21 Water St. in Gastown, which was formerly home to Disney’s Pixar animation studio."

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/03/...agic-vancouver/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2014   #2
I had to smile at the outdoor shots;fresh rain.

But kewl.

Old 04 April 2014   #3
Wow, and I thought I needed privacy... Why spend so much space on recreational areas and cram people like sardines?

Old 04 April 2014   #4

...that does look a bit cramped. With all the other open spaces shown it almost doesn't make sense. Oh well, the executive team is probably packed in just as tightly.

Old 04 April 2014   #5
Quote: Wow, and I thought I needed privacy... Why spend so much space on recreational areas and cram people like sardines?

after being crammed together like that for a couple hours those wide open spaces probably feel heavenly.

Old 05 May 2014   #6
Some photos, although a bit small, of the same space from when Pixar Canada inhabited it. The workspace photos for each look to be the same location except ILM has at least twice the number of workstations.

Old 05 May 2014   #7
Cramped workstations aside, the history of the building is easy to see. When it was a butchers shop, it surely must have been one of the biggest around.

Old 05 May 2014   #8
Not gonna lie, but working in a dev floor like that scares me.

Old 05 May 2014   #9
Originally Posted by gamedeveloper:

...that does look a bit cramped. With all the other open spaces shown it almost doesn't make sense. Oh well, the executive team is probably packed in just as tightly.

pfff. you shoulda seen my closet at r&h. as much as I LOVED the people, work and my time there, the work rooms were terrible. 4 guys packed into a broom closet

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 05 May 2014   #10
#gamedeveloper

What you need your own room or something in order to work?

Take the front row for instance, it might seem crammed with all the monitors placed tightly next to each other, and the desk on some of them are very messy, thus giving the feeling that there is not enough room, but there is actually only sitting 4 people in that front row of the picture. I think they only needed to stretch each table by 30 cm and everything would be totally fine.

Old 05 May 2014   #11
Looks like a bit of a sweatshop to me. Clever framing of the photo, cropping off the manacles fastened to the floor.

Old 05 May 2014   #12
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Looks like a bit of a sweatshop to me. Clever framing of the photo, cropping off the manacles fastened to the floor.

I hope this is a joke. Sometimes on forums it is hard to tell without any internet punctuation . It doesn't look spacious but given everyone has a dual monitor setup it can do that.

Old 05 May 2014   #13
Looks like Hardware sell shop. dosent look like ILM in any manner.

Website-
http://www.divinefx.com

Old 05 May 2014   #14
Definitly more Industrial than Magic ...

Last edited by SebKaine : 05 May 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Old 05 May 2014   #15
Originally Posted by SebKaine: Definitly more Industrial than Magic ...

Not much Light in that dungeon either.

reply share thread