MAXON Announces Partnership with Side Effects Software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2014
Thumbs up MAXON Announces Partnership with Side Effects Software

MAXON Announces Partnership with Side Effects Software.

First steps consist in the development of a CINEMA 4D Plug-in for the Houdini Engine.

Friedrichsdorf, April 22, 2014 – MAXON, leading developer of professional 3D software solutions for modeling, painting, animation and rendering, today announced its intention to partner with Side Effects Software, a leader in 3D animation and visual effects software, to develop a plug-in which gives CINEMA 4D users access to the Houdini Engine. The Houdini Engine was introduced in 2013 on SideFX Labs and is designed to allow Houdini’s procedural technology to work inside other digital content creation applications. This bridge between the two applications offers CINEMA 4D artists direct access to Houdini Digital Assets with an integrated procedural workflow that does not require baked-out data.

“Creating a bridge to Houdini Digital Assets for CINEMA 4D artists underscores MAXON’s commitment to provide our customers with an efficient pipeline to other digital content creation tools,” said Harald Egel, co-founder and CEO, MAXON Computer GmbH. “Integrating Houdini’s procedural workflow and VFX tools inside CINEMA 4D will offer our users a streamlined experience to collaborate with Houdini artists and create inspiring content.”

“We are very excited to partner with MAXON to bring the Houdini Engine to CINEMA 4D artists,” said Kim Davidson, co-founder, President and CEO, Side Effects Software. “These artists can now use Houdini Digital Assets inside CINEMA 4D making it easier to add the flexibility and power of Houdini’s procedural tools to their existing creative process.”

MAXON at FMX
Throughout FMX 2014, the leading European conference on animation, effects, games and transmedia taking place in Stuttgart, April 22 – 25, Oliver Meiseberg, product manager at MAXON Computer, will be available to meet with members of the press to provide additional details on the planned integration between MAXON and Side Effects. To schedule a briefing opportunity, please contact him directly: o_meisebergmaxonnet.

[Editor’s Note: MAXON team members and CINEMA 4D industry experts will also be participating on FMX panel/sessions aimed to provide show attendees a deeper understanding of the company’s CINEMA 4D software application in production. A program list is available here.]

Availability
The CINEMA 4D plug-in for the Houdini Engine is slated for release before the end of the year.

About CINEMA 4D
CINEMA 4D from MAXON is an award-winning 3D motion graphics toolkit acclaimed for its seamless connectivity to popular 2D motion graphics and compositing tools. CINEMA 4D Release 15 (R15), the next generation release of the 3D software package, is marked by powerful enhancements to modeling, text creation, rendering and sculpting. Individual artists and design teams around the world rely on the professional 3D software package as the first choice to create high-end 3D images and animations for film, television/broadcast, architecture, games, multimedia, design and engineering.

All trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.

04 April 2014
Last week Krakatoa, now this... Maxon sure wants to push C4D in the FX market.

Question : Is that going to be a separate product or part of the next R16 ?

Edit : as seen on the SideFX site, there an annual licence of 495$ to run the engine (unless you have a full houdini licence).

Last edited by EricM : 04 April 2014 at 04:05 PM.

04 April 2014

Here is the SideFX announcement:

Lots of Houdini Engine News! Houdini Engine for Cinema 4D announced, Maya plug-in to be released in the summer and Houdini Engine licensing and pricing information now available -

- http://bit.ly/1jvEfPd

Last edited by Robert Magee : 04 April 2014 at 04:27 PM.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by EricM: Last week Krakatoa, now this... Maxon sure wants to push C4D in the FX market.

Question : Is that going to be a separate product or part of the next R16 ?

Edit : as seen on the SideFX site, there an annual licence of 495$ to run the engine (unless you have a full houdini licence).

Maxon will be developing the plug-in which is free. When an asset it loaded then a Houdini Engine or Houdini license is needed. The delivery method for the plug-in will be determined. It may be part of the Houdini install in the same way the Maya and Unity plug-ins are today.

Robert

04 April 2014
I would like to know more specifics about how this works.

Say I want to do a fluids sim inside C4D, and use Houdini FLIP fluids for this.

Lets say for the sake of argument that its a "blue whale jumps out of ocean" type of sim where a CG character interacts with a fluids simulation.

Is Houdini@C4D engine capable of letting me do all of that inside Cinema 4D?

Or would I have to fire up Houdini proper, build the fluid simulation there, then save it as a "digital asset", and load it into Cinema4D through the Houdini Engine plugin?

I also presume that this plugin would give access to (some) pre-built Houdini Orbolt assets inside C4D?

I can see how tight integration between Houdini and C4D could help Cinema4D get used way more in the VFX space.

I mean wow, the possibilities seem quite exciting. Cinema4D's ease of use paired with Houdini's complex physics sims and procedural power.

But precisely how do Houdini, Houdini Engine and C4D work together to make this happen?

A little more specifics couldn't hurt, guys.

Thanks,

Artsyboy

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by Srek: First steps consist in the development of a CINEMA 4D Plug-in for the Houdini Engine.

That sounds ominous. What kind of further steps are to be expected?

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by Hirazi: That sounds ominous. What kind of further steps are to be expected?

Maybe Houdini gives up its confusing UI and runs completely inside Cinema4D's more user friendly UI instead?

Man, would that be cool!

Probably won't happen, but it sure would be cool to have a Cinema4D-With-Houdini unified 3D app. (and that even rymes, he he)

04 April 2014
Or Maxon will assist in making an AfterEffects plugin for Houdini...

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by artsyboy: I would like to know more specifics about how this works.

Say I want to do a fluids sim inside C4D, and use Houdini FLIP fluids for this.

Lets say for the sake of argument that its a "blue whale jumps out of ocean" type of sim where a CG character interacts with a fluids simulation.

Is Houdini@C4D engine capable of letting me do all of that inside Cinema 4D?

Or would I have to fire up Houdini proper, build the fluid simulation there, then save it as a "digital asset", and load it into Cinema4D through the Houdini Engine plugin?

I also presume that this plugin would give access to (some) pre-built Houdini Orbolt assets inside C4D?

I can see how tight integration between Houdini and C4D could help Cinema4D get used way more in the VFX space.

I mean wow, the possibilities seem quite exciting. Cinema4D's ease of use paired with Houdini's complex physics sims and procedural power.

But precisely how do Houdini, Houdini Engine and C4D work together to make this happen?

A little more specifics couldn't hurt, guys.

Thanks,

Artsyboy

Somebody would have to open Houdini and create the asset first (either you or downloaded via Orbolt). It would basically accept a certain number of geometries, and they would expose any and all parameters relevant to doing the sim, and then you would then load the asset in Cinema, and feed it your animated object. You would see all the parameters that were exposed in the asset in the Cinema Ui. You would then hit play and the simulation would be shown IN cinema, while technically happening behind the scenes in Houdini.

04 April 2014
The following youtube video may clear up some questions in regard to the Houdini interface in C4d. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNakMbgjSo The interface is built into the digital asset. After diving into learning Houdini this past month I find it very easy to create an interface for any asset that could be brought into C4d. I've been writing plugins for C4d in Python for the past year and see Houdini as kind of a visual plugin maker because all the code snippets are in there as nodes to connect. Even a simple extrusion and bevel are many nodes long in a network to create, but once it is made, any necessary controls can be put on the front asset node and easily re-configured.

04 April 2014
As mentioned already, you can either get an asset from http://Orbolt.com or build one yourself in Houdini. This video which shows an asset being created then loaded into Maya using the Engine is a good example of the workflow:

The fluid example mentioned could be packaged up with a way of hooking geometry from Cinema4D into the asset for collisions.

More details can be found at http://labs.sidefx.com

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by visualride: The following youtube video may clear up some questions in regard to the Houdini interface in C4d. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNakMbgjSo The interface is built into the digital asset. After diving into learning Houdini this past month I find it very easy to create an interface for any asset that could be brought into C4d. I've been writing plugins for C4d in Python for the past year and see Houdini as kind of a visual plugin maker because all the code snippets are in there as nodes to connect. Even a simple extrusion and bevel are many nodes long in a network to create, but once it is made, any necessary controls can be put on the front asset node and easily re-configured.

If I understand you right, I could pick a Houdini asset from Orbolt (http://www.orbolt.com/search/?q=tags:effect), like, say, this lightning generator:

http://www.orbolt.com/asset/Miguel_...:vfx_lightnings

And once loaded into Cinema4D, I would have that asset in interactive from + whatever UI controls the original asset creator put into the plugin?

Or another example, this flamethrower effect from Orbolt.com:

http://www.orbolt.com/asset/Miguel_...fx_flamethrower

I would load this asset into Cinema4D, and it would interact with C4D geometry + give me UI controls to control the simulation's parameters?

If it works like that, this could seriously bolster C4D's use in the VFX field...

OK, one more example. A fluid sim that features an "air field" simulation:

So I could load this asset into Cinema4D, and it would simulate inside C4D + interact with C4D geometry it comes in touch with?

04 April 2014
Artsyboy- Yes, this is how I understand it. The engine that runs Houdini would be called when you run the plugin. You would need the $495 Houdini engine plugin, or a Houdini FX license. My question to whoever is, will I be able to use the Apprentice version to create/edit my assets and then just use the Houdini Engine to render out my effects in C4D?

04 April 2014
Great news, and good timing! I guess this might get the attention of some XSI users.

Regarding apprentice version: the announcement page at sideFx states that the assets have to be created in commercial versions.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by christianS: Great news, and good timing! I guess this might get the attention of some XSI users.

Regarding apprentice version: the announcement page at sideFx states that the assets have to be created in commercial versions.

That is true. Only during the testing phase of the Maya and Unity plug-ins (and maybe the Cinema 4D plug-in - that hasn't been worked out yet) can Apprentice be used to create assets. Once the plug-ins are released then Houdini or Houdini FX would be needed.

Robert

reply share thread