Sony takes early console war lead with 4.2 million PS4 systems sold in 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Sony takes early console war lead with 4.2 million PS4 systems sold in 2013

Quote:
"
During a keynote speech at the CES Show in Las Vegas, Sony Computer Entertainment President and Group CEO Andrew House, announced Tuesday that the company has sold through 4.2 million PlayStation 4 units worldwide as of December 28, 2013.

That’s more than 1 million units higher than some analysts were predicting -- and, perhaps more importantly, it handily beats Microsoft’s Xbox One initial sales. Yesterday, Microsoft announced that more than 3 million Xbox One systems were sold last year."

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...-184114796.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2014   #2
I have an inkling that many xbox users are hanging onto and using their 360 units until something significant is released exclusively for xbox one. It's the available games that's driving uptake, and a game like Titanfall if successful could tip the scales back.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Originally Posted by PerryDS: I have an inkling that many xbox users are hanging onto and using their 360 units until something significant is released exclusively for xbox one. It's the available games that's driving uptake, and a game like Titanfall if successful could tip the scales back.

If that were the case, PS4 should be loosing. They don't have any interesting exclusive launch titles, at least Xbox one has forza.
I agree though, once better exclusives come out things will really take off.

Even though I have no reason to buy either right now, I will eventually pick up a PS4. I like Japanese games (JRPG, etc...) and the Xbox brand has no penetration in Japan.

Old 01 January 2014   #4
My guess is that Sony could easily have sold 20 mill consoles by now with sufficient production capacity.

Instead they seriously underestimated the market and are now only trickle-feeding it.

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Happy to wait until Uncharted 4 arrives

Old 01 January 2014   #6
It's good to see that the PS4 is doing so well without a title exclusively for the ps4. I'm also surprised to read rather confusing stories about Blue Ray vs HD DVD vs Internet.

Oh sure, I do watch some movies on the internet - but if I really want to enjoy a movie it goes on the big screen. I can't imagine watching Avatar 3D on a monitor (well without the 3d then of course).

Ah well, maybe I should just ignore both the big contenders and go with Wii U. Oh, not doing too well? Nevermind then.

All kidding aside, I probably go for a PS4 since I am too a great fan of the Japanese RPG's. (and manga, and anime, and the martial arts, and the foods, and ...)

Old 01 January 2014   #7
Both selling well is good news for us in the CG world!

Old 01 January 2014   #8
I know a lot of people that are interested in buying a PS4. But it is simply sold out in most places here. They really underestimated the demand.

Old 01 January 2014   #9
I have a PS4 and really like it. The graphics in Killzone are outstanding, but overall I am waiting for more titles. Currently I only like Assassin`s Creed IV. I was a little bit irritated when I found out it won`t play mp3s and audio discs, but as I hear Sony wants to fix that. A decent remote would be nice as well.

Old 01 January 2014   #10
Impressive. For what it's worth: p4 launched in 33 markets, Xbox one in 13 IIRC, though.

Old 01 January 2014   #11

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Originally Posted by JoshBowman: Happy to wait until Uncharted 4 arrives

I can't wait that long. Infamous Second Son is calling to me. Only a few more months!

Old 01 January 2014   #13
Originally Posted by Venkman: I can't wait that long. Infamous Second Son is calling to me. Only a few more months!

Yup that is when I am hopping on board as well. Infamous looks amazing.

That is assuming I can find one in stores by then. Every PS4 the stores receive here is selling in minutes.

Old 01 January 2014   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread