Free trial of Chronosculpt is now available...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Free trial of Chronosculpt is now available...

Hi guys
The makers of Chronosculpt are realisng a 30 day free trail of the program.

Chronosculpt is a time based cache sculpting program for all 3d Software pipelines.

Here is the free trial

https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_chronosculpt/

and more info on the program:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/chronosculpt/

Available for Windows, Mac OS& Linux
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2013
Very cool and forward thinking app. I switched from LW to Maya about 5 years ago. I'm amazed that Newtek has been able to stay in the 3D game. I've been doing less 3D lately, so I'm going to let my Maya subscription lapse. Unless AD changes their very limited upgrade policy, I'll probably never renew. Maybe I'll end up back w/my old friend Lightwave in the end. Chronosculpt makes it that much more attractive.

12 December 2013
ChronoSculpt is a standalone app so you don't need Lightwave.

01 January 2014
Original post by Tanadrine Studios

In this video, I give some constructive criticism about Chronosculpt, then show how it can be used to eliminate complexity in character rigs (in any 3d application) and give you total control over deformations at the same time. Don’t think it is just a tool for “tweaking” things, it can also be used as the primary tool for deformation-based motion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Jpcln6nag
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

01 January 2014
^ Interesting video. Doesn't seem like a practical workflow to me though, for one thing I'd never work on lip sync animation without being able to hear the audio (!) and I generally don't want my characters teeth changing shape while they talk as it just looks weird and distracting. Maybe there are masking options to deal with that but I've not found any.

I tried the demo and it's got potential I guess but ran into several things I didn't like almost immediately :

1- Navigation feels clunky, especially with a tablet. I can handle Maya, C4D and ZBrush but this still feels very alien, I keep getting banking in the camera as I'm trying to move around which is annoying.
2- My alembic cached mesh that I loaded in is moved away from the origin at some times during the animation and the camera is clipping the mesh, can't find an option to change the clip range (so I can't see my characters head for chunks of the animation in this case.)
3 - Cameras from Maya (exported via Alembic) don't seem to load into Chronosculpt, so I can't sculpt from a specific camera view, a pretty fundamental feature really that seems to be absent.
4 - All of the sculpts seem to be in world space, so you can't really adjust your characters proportions and that kind of thing as they show in some videos, as soon as the character rotates that will break.

I was inspired by the launch videos though a few weeks back, so I started working on something that would approximate the basic functionality (at least for rigged characters and cloth sims) right inside Maya. Personally I think this will do the job for my needs anyway.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 01 January 2014 at 11:35 PM.

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread