Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinmoses
I think lux/foundry need to either open up more functionality, or decrease it to hobbyist pricing.

Indeed they should not be charging *anything* for something this *crippled*.
How many hobbiests spend $150?

I think they should steal a feather from SideFX.
-this version = free
-non-commercial - but feature full $99 (or even $49)
-Regular 701 = regular price.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy

-this version = free

That is exactly what I was hoping to see as well. This is more useless than Maya LT in every possible way. Modo is quite terrible without being able to run custom scripts. I can't even imagine working in modo without the seneca and ethereal scripts to be honest.

I am going to be buying Houdini at some point because Side FX is the only company that "get's it" and I want to support them.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Animation and rendering it can live without as modelling is probably Modo's greatest strength, but with the limitations in place, one would be better off considering 3DCoat or even Silo instead, both of which are already on Steam for very attractive prices.

Saying that, it will be interesting to see if the Foundry makes future improvements to this edition of Modo like Autodesk has with Maya Lt. I hear they have included Mel Scripting now?

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
leuey
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Greg Leuenberger
3D Animator
Sabertooth Productions
USA

Well, the intent here is to make content for the Steam Store. The intent isn't to make a cheap non-commercial version. This is a commercial version, it's intended to be sold to people who want to make money on the Steam store or use it to mod their own characters (which would be hobbyist...the type of hobbyist who spends $500+ on graphics cards every 12 months).

It's something different and it may totally fail, but they're going to try and test this market. You don't need (or can even have) things like animation or dynamics on your 'Thor's brother's Hammer' model' or whatever you're making. You need modeling, sculpting, painting, UV'ing and baking tools - and that's what this has. It has nothing to do with Houdini or Maya LT - it's not a 'cut down version for cheap'...it's a *very specific* version for doing one single thing, and it has all the features it needs for that thing.

Worst case is they tried a new market and failed. Best case it takes off and it's worth it to them to develop it more and create a nice niche product that can upload models directly to a bunch of Steam games. If it fails....who cares. We don't need a 'MODO LT' or MODO el-cheapo version' - there's plenty of free stuff for people who want free stuff.

-Greg

edit: it would be nice to run modeling scripts...but I'm guessing if they kept scripting then you could script anything and use it as a full-version basically. All of MODO's commands are almost certainly there - just not accessible via menu or script.

Last edited by leuey : 12-11-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
eworc
Lord of the posts
portfolio
W.E. Crowe
Systems Analyst
USA

Quote:

-this version = free

Agreed. I bought Houdini HD 11.1, Realflow 2013 and Maxwell 3.0 due to the perpetual license/pricepoint/functionality paradigm. Anything less gets a pass from me.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
chikega
necrotizing fasciitis
Gary E. Chike
Medical Illustrator
Georgia Regents University
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to chikega
MODO Steam Edition has been #1 in Top Sellers list for Software on Steam since it's been released ... so, someone's buying it.

I already have MODO full version, but there are some things that are in the Steam version that has not made it's way into the full version yet.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
Puzzle3d
PRO

portfolio
chris provine
3D Graphics and Animation
Chiayi County, Taiwan

Be patient..

This is a NEW thing for the Foundry. Be patient. The PEOPLE at the Foundry can't do it all at once...if they tried it would be a bust from the beginning. They are testing new water here and it will be rolled out and evaluated. If it seems limited now...don't be surprised. Be patient.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

The $7k poly limit is because source engine won't allow anything greater you can save any amount in its native format.

The target audience isn't us... You can buy a full license of 701 right now for nearly the same cost of Maya LT so i don't see how that even enters the equation.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
robinb
Expert

Yeah it just seems a pity that they could have made a version of Modo that would be useful for hobbyists and indie game devs, but haven't. instead they've made something very specific indeed. A tool that only really works for modding a specific game in a specific marketplace. One that I'm personally not interested in. I was hoping to use it for Unity hobby projects.

There's nothing wrong with this approach I guess (although both GMax and XSI Mod Tool did the same before and weren't successful, to my knowledge), but it's not what I was hoping for so i'll give it a miss.

I'll still keep an eye on it. I guess now the foundations are in place there's no reason they couldn't make something a bit more generally useful.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
Yeah it just seems a pity that they could have made a version of Modo that would be useful for hobbyists and indie game devs, but haven't.

they are advertising 40% off modo over at the foundry, the sale ends at christmas eve. I am not sure if the price on the site is before or after the 40%.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
they are advertising 40% off modo over at the foundry, the sale ends at christmas eve. I am not sure if the price on the site is before or after the 40%.

After. It sells for $1500 normally.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
After. It sells for $1500 normally.

thanks for the correction on the modo sale. I didn't realize the price of modo was $1500.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #28
leuey
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Greg Leuenberger
3D Animator
Sabertooth Productions
USA

I think they're treading a very fine line. I understand the desire for a more full-featured version, but a lot of AAA game companies buy MODO only for modeling, UV, texturing and baking....so all of those $1.5K seats of MODO would quickly be replaced by $150 seats of MODO. If you like making stuff for Steam games, this is a pretty sweet deal. If you're an Indy game dev. then full MODO on sale right now is a ridiculously good deal.

-Greg

Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #29
Larry_g1s
Sinner Saved by Grace

portfolio
Larry Vasquez
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
That is exactly what I was hoping to see as well. This is more useless than Maya LT in every possible way. Modo is quite terrible without being able to run custom scripts. I can't even imagine working in modo without the seneca and ethereal scripts to be honest.
quite terrible?? Hardly. I'm not a fanboy, but I've modeled in Modo daily for years and no problem without scripts.

On topic though, this is a version specifically to this market, not game devs in general. Hints the name.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Sale price extended to Jan. 2nd, $119.00.

Quote:

I do and considerably more.
This is a perfect price point for what it does. Create content and import into source engine without the fuss. Exactly what I need as my current workflow is quite convoluted. Plus I've been wanting to give Modo a go anyway.

DOTA 2 is super hot right now especially after the last International. There are pro artists who have quit their full-time jobs and just make DOTA items now as its quite lucrative. I couldn't believe how much money is being pumped into that game. There's one guy who made the first item set for Pudge for a long time because he did it before Valve released the official models. I think he made over $100,000 in royalties for just 5 models.

So yeah, gamers hobbyists, a lot of people really want this.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread