Empire Magazine rates the top 10 historic VFX moments

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #16
Maybe we need a list of top 20 ignorant articles concerning VFX?!

Old 12 December 2013   #17
Originally Posted by circusboy: Maybe we need a list of top 20 ignorant articles concerning VFX?!

You'd need space for more than 20...

Old 12 December 2013   #18
We'd never be able to agree upon the contents of such a list either...

Old 12 December 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Hirazi: We'd never be able to agree upon the contents of such a list either...

It would be fun watching you argue though! If anyone want to compile one of those, we could run it...

Old 12 December 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Buscat: They do say they start from Star Wars, which is probably why they didn't include Wizard of Oz. But then the first thing they do is start with something from BEFORE Star Wars, so...

Pffft. Pffft to you I say.
The article is crap, the posting of it was perfectly appropriate Gave everybody a chance to agree about how ill assorted the selection is, that's a good thread in my book

Old 12 December 2013   #21
Smile

Originally Posted by Boone: Also, its criminal that ALIEN(1979) was not on that list. It's creature vfx led the way for horror films such as The Howling, The Thing, The Terminator, The Fly, Hellraiser, Nightbreed, Aliens, Jurassic Park...the list goes on. One could also mention Jaws, but that is outside the time frame...

Totally agree. Along with Blade Runner, another unforgivable absence. If that is not a Milestone in Special Effects, I don't know what is.

Dedicated to J.J. Abrams...

Old 12 December 2013   #22
I don't think I would call Blade Runner's VFX "groundbreaking." While they are gorgeous and fit well within the story, they were not much more than extensions of the work done on CE3K. Some of the effects were applied differently, that's all.

Old 12 December 2013   #23
Originally Posted by jesped: Totally agree. Along with Blade Runner, another unforgivable absence. If that is not a Milestone in Special Effects, I don't know what is.

Dedicated to J.J. Abrams...

"Oooooh lens flare...I shall make a star of you!"

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 12 December 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Boone: "Oooooh lens flare...I shall make a star of you!"

More like: Ooooh, light source, I shall make a lens flare (each and every one) of you

Old 12 December 2013   #25
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: More like: Ooooh, light source, I shall make a lens flare (each and every one) of you

Aye, he does go a bit overboard with the lighting in the new Star Treks. Its a wonder how the bridge crew can see their computer displays...

Kirk: "Mr Sulu what is our current heading?"

Sulu: "Well, Capi-tan, I would be able to tell that IF I COULD SEE THE F***ING SCREEN! Seriously, do we really need all this much lighting on? This is the bridge of the Enterprise, not f***ing IKEA!"

Kirk: "Enough cheek and quit complaining. Why look at Uhuru over there...you don't see her complaining, now do you?"

Sulu: "Oh do shut up! She only needs an ear-piece and some F***ING buttons! She deals with audio NOT visual!"

Kirk: "I've had enough of your outbursts, Mr Sulu - "

Sulu: " yeah, well, one day I shall have my own ship where the bridge isn't spammed to death with spot lights and you won't have to listen to me anymore!"

...its a shame that Into Darkness was a complete let down for Sulu!

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 12 December 2013   #26
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread