Empire Magazine rates the top 10 historic VFX moments

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Empire Magazine rates the top 10 historic VFX moments

http://www.empireonline.com/feature...ects-milestones

12 December 2013
Interesting list, but a weird time to start it all, as a lot of very memorable VFX had already been done (long) before "Bound for Glory" IMHO.

12 December 2013
Would have thought the wizard of OZ would have been one. And I thought the abyss also changed things too? I remember the first time that came out.

12 December 2013
Eeeer... 2001: A Space Odyssey

One of the most awesome films ever, released in... 1968!

I don't mean to say Gravity doesn't worth recognition but... come on!

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Hirazi: Interesting list, but a weird time to start it all, as a lot of very memorable VFX had already been done (long) before "Bound for Glory" IMHO.

Agreed. What about The Lost World, King Kong, Citizen Kane, 2001 (as already mentioned), etc.?

And while Steadicam was indeed a significant innovation in film-making, I don't think it qualifies as VFX.

EDIT: Forgot to mention all the pioneering work by Georges Méliès.

Last edited by grahamef : 12 December 2013 at 07:50 PM.

12 December 2013
Yeah whats up wid dat list?!

-IMAX-we force everyone to render at higher rez...erm...WOW (aka ah feck off youse).

-Steadycam-erm the Camera Operators do-um well-who invited them anyway?! Please leave now.

And really Toy Story is out of place as VFX when you think about it.

Meanwhile Davy Jones and that live camera mocap tech of ILM's is missing in action as well.

And Benjamin Button-not always convincing but some hard work by DD across the uncanny valley as well.

12 December 2013
I could list the top 20 things that are wrong with this article, the first being that the author has no idea what "VFX" means. What a terrible list. But I guess it's that time of year....

12 December 2013
Although Inception may be on a larger scale, didn't The Fly(1986) have a revolving set for when Brundle scales the walls of his apartment?

Currently working on...HCR #42

12 December 2013
No Harryhausen?
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Edgemaster: Would have thought the wizard of OZ would have been one.

They do say they start from Star Wars, which is probably why they didn't include Wizard of Oz. But then the first thing they do is start with something from BEFORE Star Wars, so...

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Boone: Although Inception may be on a larger scale, didn't The Fly(1986) have a revolving set for when Brundle scales the walls of his apartment?

That was one of the things that came to my mind when mentioned 2001:

12 December 2013
What a pile of crap.
Says Special Effects then moves on to a mix of VFX and SFX, mentions steadycam but not mocon (cinematography instead of effects), completely foregoes game changing industry milestones of reduced passes blue screen chroma and reduced passes matte paintings, includes T2 instead of Abyss...

The title is "milestones", and not innovations, so it's fair enough to look at something that was a yard stick for the world of effects instead of "simply" their invention, when often that goes unnoticed and only becomes appreciated later when some production got whatever technique in the spotlight without having fundamentally invented it. In light of that I can (almost) forgive picking inception over 2001, but it ignores way too many important ones and tosses in entirely too much fluff with weak motivations.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: What a pile of crap.

Glad the first piece of news I posted went down well. I'll keep posting

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Buscat: Glad the first piece of news I posted went down well. I'll keep posting

Not shooting the messenger should be a given.
You should be commended instead for giving the forum something to rant and rave about.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by jesped: That was one of the things that came to my mind when mentioned 2001:

Aye, and a good example. However, the list is from "Star Wars to Gravity". So that's 1977 to 2013. Also - on second reading - they do mention 2001 when discussing Inception's revolving set. With that in mind, The Fly was the only film I could think of within that time frame that successfully used the revolving set. But why they included Bound for Glory...instead of Jaws or King Kong from 1976? What the duece?

Also, its criminal that ALIEN(1979) was not on that list. It's creature vfx led the way for horror films such as The Howling, The Thing, The Terminator, The Fly, Hellraiser, Nightbreed, Aliens, Jurassic Park...the list goes on. One could also mention Jaws, but that is outside the time frame...

Currently working on...HCR #42

Thread Closed share thread