Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom CC for $9.99 a month.Deal ends December 2

Thought I should give you guys a heads up because this is a really good deal if you are in the market for Photoshop and Lightroom. It is only good till tomorrow (monday).

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/of...m?promoid=KHQFP

Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
mustique
Expert
copywriter

I'll upgrade when adobe sell it apps on some desktop app store at a permanent price of $9.99 a piece without the associated bloatware like air, flash etc... They'll never do it?
Even better, I can stick to cs6 for another decade.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
nwargasm
Veteran
portfolio
Mike
Character Artist
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to nwargasm
Half of your want is true, Install PS CC and lightroom and thats it. There's no bloat. $120 for photoshop and lightroom. It's a good deal.

CS6 is on sale for $$636 on amazon, lightroom is $99. That's 5.3 years at $120/yr for photoshop alone.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
erikals
Lightwave Cop

erik alstad
Norway

CGT
PhotoShop CS6 is on sale only because everybody wants it, unlike that cloud crap.

and it's not like that offer is gonna last 4+ years, so think again... :/
they need to make that same offer to the PS users next year, and the next, and the next, and the next...

CGT

Last edited by erikals : 12-02-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

I stopped using all Adobe software for all my work about a year ago, even before the subscription-only model.

Adobe's current subscription model is pretty much a modernized digital version of serfdom, and a throwback to the middle ages. I find that morally, politically, and philosophically reprehensible, and thus will I refuse to bow down to that. It has nothing to do with money.

If a customer wishes to willingly become their serf and forgo their freedom, that is fine with me as long as users have a choice between perpetual licenses and a monthly subscription.

But we do not, do we?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
kyrandian
Veteran

I jumped on this offer, even though I'm not a fan of the cloud route..

However, to me it is a bit unclear if this discounted price is just for the first year. When it's time for renewal will the subscription get the regular price again?
Tried to contact Adobe about this, but gave up after ages in a customer queue.
So I just decided to place the order and find out what happens when the time comes.

I assume it's back to the regular full price subscription after the first year.

Last edited by kyrandian : 12-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
kyrandian
Veteran

vanderwegen:

I've also been playing with the idea of breaking up with Photoshop, but unfortunately, everytime I try one of the alternatives there are just always some annoying shortcomings or some feature missing that I've gotten used to in PS and don't want to live without. Mostly little things, but it's often the little things that are missed the most.

I find it strange that Photoshop is still without any real serious rival, I really hope that will change one day, the sooner the better.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
erikals
Lightwave Cop

erik alstad
Norway

CGT
PhotoLine is pretty close though... >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfuwYmBfbU

CGT

Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrandian
I jumped on this offer, even though I'm not a fan of the cloud route..

However, to me it is a bit unclear if this discounted price is just for the first year. When it's time for renewal will the subscription get the regular price again?
Tried to contact Adobe about this, but gave up after ages in a customer queue.
So I just decided to place the order and find out what happens when the time comes.

I assume it's back to the regular full price subscription after the first year.

It says in the FAQ that after the first year it will go back to regular price but you will get advance notice so you can cancel. To be honest I don't care if it's on the cloud or whatever, $10 a month for two of my most used applications is a steal and I will cancel at the end of the year term if the price goes up.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Hoja
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
$10 a month for two of my most used applications is a steal and I will cancel at the end of the year term if the price goes up.

But that's exactly where this concept is so foul: You, Ali may be able to cancel the subscription with no risk as you still have an older perpetual version of the program you can still access all your work. That's not the case for people who have become Adobe customers for the first time with CC but then decide to quit the subscription.
The Adobe programs will simply expire and there's no proper fallback solution. Some say that program xy opens .psd's just fine but one of course loses all advanced concepts, all embedded raw files or other high bitdepth content, smart objects, embedded Vector assets, layer and text styles etc. There's no program and there will not be a program which opens Photoshop files in the way Photoshop can.

This bit marks all the difference: One as a new Adobe user is forced to go on paying 'forever' and at some point one will no more be able to open CC files with the latest perpetual versions either. With respect to the current 'Photoshop only' offer one might say 'Ok, if you so urgently need these old files again, why not pay 10$ for a month and get access again?' First off you will have to pay more than 10$ as this special deal ends today and second the concept of having to pay again marks an incredible disadvantage when compared to perpetual software licenses.
People who used more than just one CC program regularly and quit the abonnement will have to pay 50$ or more, only to get temporary access to older files, given they have never owned a recent perpetual Creative Suite license. As attractive jumping over to CC is made, with special offers or yearly subscription as a present to conference attendees...
This licensing scheme really stinks awfully.

Last edited by Hoja : 12-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
It says in the FAQ that after the first year it will go back to regular price but you will get advance notice so you can cancel. To be honest I don't care if it's on the cloud or whatever, $10 a month for two of my most used applications is a steal and I will cancel at the end of the year term if the price goes up.

Good luck with canceling your subscription - based on what I have read so far on Adobe's website and the experiences of users trying to do exactly that on the Adobe forums, the process to cancel your subscription is quite convoluted and much less accessible than signing up.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Sil3
Are we there yet?

portfolio
Marco Antonio Peixoto
A few Keys here and there
TeamTO
Valence, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen
Good luck with canceling your subscription - based on what I have read so far on Adobe's website and the experiences of users trying to do exactly that on the Adobe forums, the process to cancel your subscription is quite convoluted and much less accessible than signing up.

Simply stop paying if that so cumbersome?

I don't know how it is in the US but in my country I can have Direct Debit so that I don't need to do anything and the company will get their money each month from my account, we usually use this to pay Electricity and Water, Internet etc etc, but we tell the Bank what is the amount a specific Company can withdraw from my account, The Bank simply refuses paying over that amount, and I can at any time simply cancel that Direct Debit (I did more than once in the past).

An Adobe subscription would be something similar, if they act retarded when trying to cancel it, simply order the Bank to cancel any future payments to that specific Company.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:

I have a "cancel subscription" button under my account preferences. Doesn't seem too complicated to me.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
_vine_
Know-it-All
CAM
Character Artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to _vine_
Quote:

That kinds of sucks because the "Cancel this plan" button is so plainly obvious under my account settings. It's just waiting for a single click of the button.

The Adobe forums are for mouth breathers who can't figure out how to read the help page or Google.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
erikals
Lightwave Cop

erik alstad
Norway

CGT
read some had big problems using that "cancel subscription" function,
but maybe Adobe fixed it...

$10 is a great price, until the price quadruples, so it's worth a shot. for now.
CGT

Thread Closed share thread