CGTalk > Main Forums > News
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

@castles:

Regarding browsing a artists portfolio -- consider how CG Hub current works, http://cghub.com/images/view/717451/

Even while viewing a single image/project you still have an at-a-glance view of the artist's other work. This is not only convenient to the viewer but also helpful to the artist, as having users surrounded by their work keeps 'eyes' on it as long as possible. Every piece of work you can show to the viewer is another chance at clicks, views, likes, shares, follows, etc.

While even CG Hub uses separate tabs / new pages to view a piece of art up close, I think there is alot of room for improvement and elegance. One approach that is current popular is to have a lightbox style popup -- http://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

This not only negates the need for page navigation, but is also more elegant and less intrusive. An approach like this would actually eliminate the need for an at-a-glance view of the artists portfolio ala CG Hub, as the viewer would never be leaving the artists' main portfolio page.

Depending on what your (CGS) goal was with these portfolios, separate categories are almost a necessity. They would / should definitely be positioned alongside the Projects and About tabs. But this can only be really viable once the project management tools have been implemented.

Cheers!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

Ben, thanks for the response, great to see that you agree with some of the thoughts. I really think the new layout and concept is great, it's just lacking some features that'd make it really good.

Quote:
Customizable Categories: Are you talking about having other tabs along the top beside the 'Projects' and 'About' page links? We've got a tagging system in place already, and the plan is to turn the tags into links to show all similarly tagged projects.

Tabs on top - yes. For anyone who doesn't specify any categories the current sectioning is totally valid.
Organizing by tags might work but tbh I'd rather want to be able to define categories (and their sorting order) and content by myself. There's probably no solution that makes everyone happy and that's why I think it should be in the hands of the portfolio owner.

Quote:
-browsing an artist's portfolio: Usually right click and open in a new tab the the projects I'm interested in looking at further. Do you have any suggestions?

-clicking on an image to have it open in a new tab/window: Does right clicking satisfy this? We will also be working on a feature that opens an image full screen.

What I meant is that there's no option for viewing an image in full res in a new window. Right click and open in a new window works of course but it's on a white BG and it's not centered, this could be improved imho. Opening some lightbox like suggested by Geta-Ve could be a way. Or adding a button which opens an image in a new window/tab with some simple html definitions for center alignment and a dark BG... Not sure what the best solution would be.

Geta-Ve, I must say CGHub's gallery concept is awful, at least the layout you've linked to. There's a button to show large previews and that's a lot better! Still, it needs a lot of clicks, looks cluttered and contradicts the idea of categories in a way. Compared to the new cgportfolio, I'd say the solution here is the way to go.

Finally, thanks for rethinking the need for ads on portfolio sites, awesome!

Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
TraceSL
Tracy Landrum
USA

The deeper you go into the portfolio, it starts to breakdown and does not displays the introduction images on page.

Wish there was a way to close a range of portfolios as you open more.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
SuperHero
Dream Generator!

portfolio
Yasin Hasanian
CG artist, available for freelance
Tehran, Iran

Send a message via MSN to SuperHero

Finally, some really cool improvements!

One other issue that I noticed is that the About section does not accept Enter! All the lines just get stacked together one after another which is quite unpleasant.

Thanks

reverse_day@yahoo.com

Old 11-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

@pokoy: Personal preference aside I'd say that the current portfolio implementation in CG Hub actually requires fewer clicks to navigate between gallery images.

If you look at the actual gallery page
http://geta-ve.cghub.com/images/

you will find that CG Hub actually has an implementation of categories already. As well as a few different options in viewing the gallery as a whole.

Most importantly though, it keeps the viewer focused on the users artwork.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

Geta-Ve, I agree, that's way better than the original link you've posted and it is the one I meant in my post above.

Something like this is definitely cool. On the other hand, how would this look with images in other formats/aspects. Imagine this with 10 images in a row in portrait format, it's just too much and would need wide image formats to look as nice as your gallery does.

I like how cgportfolio looks right now, imho it just needs some optimization and better ways to organize stuff.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I think a combination of the 2 would be solid. I like CGTalks new layout on the group view and single view and the thumbnail layout on CGHubs single view keeps all the artwork in the portfolio in front of the viewer.

Is there an explanation of the CG Badges somewhere?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
InTerceptoV
MentalMan

portfolio
Toni Bratincevic
Irvine,

Regarding badges ... from what I see now you only get 1 badge if you got CGChoice, it doesn't matter how many images got Choice award, same for Expose books if you are published in expose 5 for example you get 1 badge for being published and not for how many images were published in expose book which doesn't make sense because one can have 4 images in Expose 5 while other person has 2, one in Expose 5 and 6 and he will get more badges than the first guy with 4 images published. I think these badges should be done on per image basis and not per book.

Badges are actually very good idea, especially for beginners because it can measure their quality of work and motivate them to become better ... for them getting an badge means something big, it is recognition for quality of work.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #24
Vojislav+Milanovic
Hundertwasser fan

portfolio
Vojislav_Milanovic
3D animator, LW generalist
Optix Digital Pictures
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Send a message via MSN to Vojislav+Milanovic Send a message via Yahoo to Vojislav+Milanovic
I recently changed the user name to my full name and now it shows + character between my name and surname and neither link to the new name.cgportfolio.org now the old one works!?

Does anyone know how to fix this and how to remove the + sign in between?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #25
castles
admin

portfolio
Ben
The Art Society LLC
home, Australia

ability for others to edit your portfolio bug fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Hi again,

We made a fix to the code and tested the results, so the issue is fixed! Please let us know if there are any more issues with it.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by castles
Hi again,

We made a fix to the code and tested the results, so the issue is fixed! Please let us know if there are any more issues with it.

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks Ben! I'll let you know if I run into anymore issues.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
aamirart
Know-it-All

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Aamir Art
USA

now its looking more strong presenting

Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Pipera
www.ikrushkov.com
portfolio
Ivan Krushkov
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Does anyone have problems with saving and editing projects? I can't edit or add videos images to an existing project.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #29
sNeb

portfolio
Alex Berweck
Stuttgart, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve
Also, I had no clue that each image created a thread in the Latest Work forum. [...] Is this mentioned somewhere during the upload process?

^ this. Please add an option to not create a thread and just add the picture to your personal portfolio. I don't want to throw it in everyones faces that I just added a new picture.
I know, I do not need to add it at all if I don't want people to see it.
But in my opinion, there is a difference between having a picture in your portfolio for people to see if they stumble across it and telling everyone that you now have a new picture in your portfolio.
I would appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sNeb
^ this. Please add an option to not create a thread and just add the picture to your personal portfolio. I don't want to throw it in everyones faces that I just added a new picture.
I know, I do not need to add it at all if I don't want people to see it.
But in my opinion, there is a difference between having a picture in your portfolio for people to see if they stumble across it and telling everyone that you now have a new picture in your portfolio.
I would appreciate it.

Agree completely.

Thread Closed share thread