Autodesk announces job cuts, restructuring

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
I thought facebook made money from advertising and games. Maybe Autodesk can do the same putting links to schools and collages along side their menu items.

Imagine maya documentation.
Extrude.... learn more about extrude (link to cgworkshop)

10 October 2013
Given the scope of last few max releases, it doesn't seem like there is much staff in that department there to cut. Maybe one full time programmer and a part time intern

Seriously though, I'm not too sure how it will help the stockholders if they cut staff when the community (at least in the case of Max) has felt AD has under delivered for several years. This might cut costs, but it sure won't increase sales.

I guess CAD is their much bigger cash cow anyway so the income from the products of big concern in this community may not be their prime focus.

10 October 2013
COLLAPSE COLLAPSE COLLAPSE

if this restructuring doesn't make autodesk productive and innovative again, nothing will

I suspect it won't, they are going to be even worse now

What happens when it gets to the point that Maya and 3DS Max literally have like NO development going on... like none. But people are literally just forced to keep paying subscription to use it.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Panupat: Imagine maya documentation.
Extrude.... learn more about extrude (link to cgworkshop)

Or worse, you hover over a vert and get that annoying "Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest/Google+" block of icons so that all your friends will know you welded a vert.

10 October 2013
Flame and Smoke is nosediving, 3dsmax became a bonus software for CAD suites, just like softimage became for M&E suites, Maya... Well it's struggelling. It doesn't take a rocketscientist to see that their CAD portfolio suffers from similar problems.

Overlapping and inflated app portfolios cannot lead to innovation and increasing sales forever. ADSK had the safest jobs in the industry, but unfortunately those times are over.

MS and Adobe are into hardware these days with the Surface and digitizer pens... Maybe ADSK should invest in 3D printer hardware.

10 October 2013
Here's a complete quote of a post i made on maxunderground today:

Quote: I just listened to the whole 3h30 recording of the Autodesk Investor Day, that happened yesterday ( http://investors.autodesk.com )
Here are some interesting things said:

- Autodesk will not provide product updates any longer from Feb.1st 2015. All has to be either full purchase, rental or subscription based then. Makes not much difference to the current situation IMHO, as upgrade costs are already insane and do not make sense anyways, but nevertheless i think this is an interesting bit of info ...

- On Oct.2nd, Autodesk bought (most of ? ) Graitec ... ( http://www.graitec.com )

- as i understood, the current, announced restructuring affects 90 people, mostly people in "going to market" efforts. I interpret this as in the current restructure, no people working on already established products like 3ds Max are affected. But of course i might be wrong

Besides the above, there was NOT ONE word or screenshot of any M&E product during the whole 3h30 session, that speaks a lot about Autodesk's view regarding importance off that segment

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: - Autodesk will not provide product updates any longer from Feb.1st 2015. All has to be either full purchase, rental or subscription based then. Makes not much difference to the current situation IMHO, as upgrade costs are already insane and do not make sense anyways, but nevertheless i think this is an interesting bit of info ...

I assume this only affects people using legacy software. Apparently, Adesk wants everyone to be in their financial bandwagon in some form. It's interesting, given some comments from some people stating that they'd rather stay on the last functional version of Soft/Max, than to switch to Maya. This would force them to either switch sooner, or really jump ship, in a way (just because you know that whatever bugs your current build has, they'll stay there).
Given the size of M&E vs the size of Adesk, I think the best thing for both would be to let M&E part (I don't know if in the history of the company, something like that has ever happened). If Adesk continues to undergo financial pressure, I guess something would have to give at some point...

10 October 2013
Interesting all the negativity towards AD is actually turning into lower profits, it is almost nice to see it creating this. Yearly updates were only ever going to be a short term windfall as there's no actual new content to upgrade for. I hear of so many studios still running 2009 and whenever we look at using new version half our pluggins are not updated yet so we cannot upgrade even though we have already paid. A crazy situation that can only end in people either jumping ship or simply not upgrading any more.

Obviously I feel for people losing their jobs and hope they find new work soon.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

10 October 2013
@spacefrog - The "end of upgrades" might warrant a separate thread (as it might not be the sort of restructuring people expect after reading the first page of this thread)...

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Hirazi: @spacefrog - The "end of upgrades" might warrant a separate thread (as it might not be the sort of restructuring people expect after reading the first page of this thread)...

Well- feel free to open a thread about "end of upgrades in 2015" here ;-)

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

10 October 2013
I would be displeased if I was a major shareholder in Autodesk with how things are going. I would be like we gave you Maya, Softimage and 3ds Max and still other software is stealing the show in M&E (Houdini, Foundry, ...).

There are only "The quick and the dead". Consider The Foundry being the quick and Autodesk M&E being at least the slow.

The quikcer ICE is implemented in Maya the better for Autodesk, then things can go forward and focused in the M&E department so Maya can compete on a fair level with other software focused on M&E.

3ds Max itself is doing ok through all the flak it is receiving. It self-sufficient tnx to the many maxscripts & the plugin ecosystem. It can survive without much intervention from Autodesk. It just needs to continue polishing the core while not breaking the ecosystem, see here:
part 1
part 2

And admit, most of the 3ds Max tools developed internal at Autodesk or bought up by Autodesk end up in a bad way: containers (buggy & discontinued?), scene states (are they ok now?), advanced lighting (bought lightscape, discontinued), AEC objects (discontinued), schematic view (discontinued), nurbs (discontinued), nodejoe (discontinued?), edit patch (discontinued), edit spline (discontinued), civil view (discontinued?), texture baking (discontinued), Mental Ray (...), scene explorer (bad usability), layers (discontinued), etc etc.

So I rather pay for a good solution (Iclone, Forrestpack, Vray, Finaltoon, RPManager, Thinking Particles, etc etc etc).

10 October 2013
Hah. It's things like that, raymarcher, that make me wonder why we haven't seen any class action lawsuits against Autodesk for selling products with features that simply do not work.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by raymarcher: I would be displeased if I was a major shareholder in Autodesk with how things are going. I would be like we gave you Maya, Softimage and 3ds Max and still other software is stealing the show in M&E (Houdini, Foundry, ...).

You can find a (very small) list of Adesk's principal shareholders here...

http://www.4-traders.com/AUTODESK-INC-4937/company/

I seriously doubt anyone in that list knows about entertainment software. I actually doubt they know what Adesk's entertainment software pieces are/do. I'm sure they care about quarterly result and performance numbers. I also doubt The Foundry and Side Effects et al are really stealing the show from Autodesk in the 3D front. If someone like Ubisoft announced they were jumping ship, then that's be a different story. But a few hundred users threatening to cut their subscriptions is not exactly earth-shattering, at the Adesk scale.
I don't mean to start an argument over what's important or not, since there's gonna be different takes on that. Just sayin' that to understand what Autodesk does, we have to be standing on the same playground. Way different than the average lone-ranger user's (a lot of people tend to forget that Media & Entertainment is but one appendage of many within Autodesk).

10 October 2013
ADSK are very aware that many large studios have irreversibly built their pipelines around Maya, and are planning to capitalise on it. If you've spent 10-15 years making custom tools and pipelines based on Maya architecture, you're basically screwed. You're going to have to pay whatever ridiculous fees ADSK charge. Good thing the vfx studios charge decent money for their services...Oh..wait...

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread