Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Mamba FX

Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 13 September 2013 – SGO today unleashed new heights of performance and interactivity for users with the launch at IBC 2013 of MAMBA FX, a new powerful and innovative compositing software. Mamba FX is aimed at compositing at all levels, from the highly creative indie market through to major TV and studio productions. Running under Windows and available for a wide variety of PC configurations, Mamba FX is aggressively priced, making it the most accessible professional compositor on the market.
Mamba FX will be available to order online which also provides access to tutorials and forum support. Launching at IBC 2013 it can be pre-ordered for a special introductory and market-beating price from only £199 / €239 / US$299.

http://www.sgo.es/2013/09/sgo-unlea...-to-new-levels/

I haven't seen the news anywhere, I apologize if it was published before.

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Interesting. I've never used it but I've heard good things about mistika, especially perfomance wise Very aggressively priced too. Colour me interested. Any screenshot or demo video available?

Edit : found A teaser with a glimpse of the inteface. Looks very pro and complete, and OFX plugin support means good futureproofing/expandability.

Last edited by EricM : 09-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Rawalanche
Senior Noob

portfolio
Ludvik Koutny
3D Generalist
Prague, Czech Republic

Well, they are eager to sell it, but i am having trouble finding at least one screenshot or video on the website. How am i supposed to pre-order something i do not even see..?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

The system requirements (GPU) would seem a bit hefty for a "mere" compositor, but I might well be mistaken about that. This sums up the highlights nicely, apparently. Windows only and Nvidia-based might not be to everybody's taste. This, however, ultimately seems to be a case of demo first, talk later, I'd say. Buy before you try simply doesn't work. The price is nice, though.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

So far there's only a video link in their twitter account. That's the one I put my previous post.

My question is : since nuke is ofx, are all nuke plugins really compatible will all the other ofx apps ? Like lenscare, optical flare for nuke, trapcode particular for nuke etc??

Comments on the trailer say : Windows only for now, Linux probably soon.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
calilifestyle
Renown Voice of Reason

portfolio
none
USA

To bad no demo version

Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirazi
Windows only and Nvidia-based might not be to everybody's taste.

That's odd. Everything I used so far from SGO was Linux based, maybe they'll port it.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

Well, basically you seem to buy yourself into the beta test, while its still unclear (to me) what you would additionally have to pay (if any) once the product goes "final"...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

I wrote the guys at SGO regarding a couple of thing. There will be a demo version they told me and they're currently working on the plugin intergration/certification with the editors, though in theory those working with mistika should work in Mamba FX. I don't know when the demo will be out (probably after the Beta).

As for the core techno, it's borrowing many features from mistika:
- Keying : all the funcionalities of Mistika
- Tracking : it's a Shape tracker, not just a point tracker
- Support from Boujou 3D tracking, working on supporting more formats
- 3D accelerated compositing space
- But no 3D geometry support for now
- No timeline either, it's a single shot compositor.
- Same paint/roto as Mistika.

Linux support is planned too.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
RandomVFX
portfolio
United Kingdom

There's some more information now about Mamba FX at MambaTutorials.com . A couple of vids that show the interface layout and a walk-through making a green screen shot with tracking etc.

There is also a link there to download a free eval version (!!). Seems to be fully functioning other than not saving.

Rvfx

Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Toonman2
Free Particle

portfolio
Sergio Muciño
Rigging Artist
Rodeo FX
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirazi
Well, basically you seem to buy yourself into the beta test, while its still unclear (to me) what you would additionally have to pay (if any) once the product goes "final"...

From their website...

" Launching at IBC 2013 it can be pre-ordered for a special introductory and market-beating price from only £199 / €239 / US$299."

This to me means no additional payment would be required. That's what a pre-order normally is... a fully paid in advance article. I'd hope its the case with them.

I had never heard of this company, but I'll check out the demo. I've been looking for some time for something to replace my combustion seat with.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
RandomVFX
portfolio
United Kingdom

From what has been said, the product might go up in price later on, but if you buy now you are buying the full product, so nothing more to pay.

SGO have been around for many years. They make the Mistika platform, which has also been around for some time but got famous for its 3D toolset and seems to be the hub of post production for The Hobbit etc. It's a big toy though - $100,000 upwards I think.

From what I have come across, Mamba is the VFX toolset of Mistika, which would mean its functions are quite mature even if the interface / product arrangement is new.

I downloaded the free eval from mambaTutorials.com and will play as soon as I get time. Wish me luck!

Rvfx

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Mistika product was called JALEO before.
It was used more in Asia and Europe, then US, and for a long time.
They used very little money for promotion, but as you can see they are still here.
It's incredible fast system if you know how and it had range of features which was superb to equivalent systems.
Biggest issue was lack of people who knew how to use it.
But for editing and fast comp it was superb, very easy to use, and it had different way of thinking.
No matter which editing software I used after it, none was so flexible and straight forward easy to use.
I'm asked them for a long time to make this kind of version of their product, so I'm looking forward trying it...

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Toonman2
Free Particle

portfolio
Sergio Muciño
Rigging Artist
Rodeo FX
Canada

Ah!! Okay... I see. I remember the Jaleo systems. Never used one, but they were popular back then (~ 1996) with several of the post houses we had to deliver work to. I lost track of that name a very long time ago. Didn't know Mamba was related to them. Interesting to see the path some products take throughout time .
This looks like an interesting product indeed, and the 'special offer' price is quite tempting, but I feel a little uneasy about pulling the wallet on a beta release. Plus, I've already had some basic issues with the application (dual-monitor support is bad). Anyway... interesting piece of history. I'll keep thinking about what to do. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

The dual monitor with different resolutions is said to be fixed in the last update. Still a few UI issues for me now with one monitor but worth a try. It's still a beta.

I've only messed with it for a short time so far, but it does seem quite responsive and powerful. the UI is a bit disorientating for me, but to see a realtime 3D comp when it takes ages in After Effects is really a refreshing.

Mistika, the bigger brother, is apparently gaining A LOT of traction for its realtime 3D stereoscopic toolset (Star Trek, The Hobbit, Gatsby...), though mostly in Europe and the UK (SGO is Spanish and they opened an office in London I believe).

Thread Closed share thread