CGTalk > Main Forums > News
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Variety: Foreign Incentives Help Crush Once-Booming F/X Biz in U.S.

Quote:
"While L.A.'s visual effects business may not be entirely lifeless, it's certainly bleeding out"
http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/fo...u-s-1200589239/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

I am not sure if this was posted here but i think it goes well with your main story

"mayor declares state of emergency as movie, tv production flees hollywood"

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/l-...ood-1200589182/

If you didn't see it check out kevin spaceys mactaggart lecture

Quote:
Kevin Spacey claims TV has entered a 'third golden age', with the small screen now home to high-quality drama including Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Homeland and Breaking Bad. But the Academy Award-winning actor also predicts the end of the traditional TV episode and a world in which every film is released in cinemas and on-demand at the same time

http://www.theguardian.com/media/vi...t-lecture-video

Old 08-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Oh, look, another Variety article that's sure to fire up tempers and xenophobia here! Yay!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Maxim_311
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Oh, look, another Variety article that's sure to fire up tempers and xenophobia here! Yay!

Oh, look, another snide comment that contributes nothing to the discussion! Yay!

For all intensive purposes outside of this site haven't you left the industry Leigh?
Why not just leave those of use who care and are agonizing over the dramatic changes that are happening right now have our time talk it out.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
eworc
Lord of the posts
portfolio
W.E. Crowe
Systems Analyst
USA

Maxim_311 - you forgot to mention the preemptive volley that is intended to frame any counter comment to the situation as simply xenophobic.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_311

For all *intents and* purposes outside of this site haven't you left the industry Leigh?
Why not just leave those of *us* who care and are agonizing over the dramatic changes that are happening right now have our time talk it out.

ftfy. now we've got three off topic posts in a row, yeah! nevermind, eworc screwed up our run...

Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
For all intensive purposes outside of this site haven't you left the industry Leigh?
Why not just leave those of use who care and are agonizing over the dramatic changes that are happening right now have our time talk it out.

Hmm strange accusation, I swear I saw Leigh's name on a daily just the other day at MPC.

The problem here is thinking it's a regionally owned or deserved industry. Didn't matter if it was LA, Vancouver, London the people working there were pretty international, and those that want to work in the industry will take their internationality where the work is. The work will keep moving around as VFX companies bend over to please the studios, one of several of the real problems. Subsidies aren't a cause, their a symptom.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

A lot of the problems the industry is currently facing are self-inflicted. Other countries are free to do whatever they like to bolster various growth industries, just as we do when it comes to protecting our other (non-VFX) industries. Adapt and change, or die. Also:

Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Oh, look, another snide comment that contributes nothing to the discussion! Yay!

I've left the industry? That's news to me. Sure, I've been considering it, but... not yet.

My comment isn't snide; frankly I am getting more than a little tired of the US-centric articles that get frequently posted here and prompt a furor of anti-European and anti-Asian sentiment. Some of the comments posted below that Variety article epitomise exactly what I am talking about. Maybe you should try to think about how those of us on this side of the Atlantic feel when Americans act like they're the only ones entitled to work in VFX - let's not pretend that hasn't been happening a whole lot here and on other industry sites, shall we? This is an international site, and as such, you should expect that we don't all share a US-centric view in this matter.

Your insinuation that I don't care about the problems in the industry simply because I am tired of entitlement attitudes and the very real xenophobia I've seen in comments is really quite silly. Of course I care about my livelihood and it sucks for me to see how it seems my days of being able to work in my field seem to be running out; but evidently the difference between you and I is that I don't see any point in being an anonymous keyboard warrior about it. If other people are going to do my job for less money, then so be it - that's why I am working to develop my skills in another trade. Do I wish things were different? Yeah, of course at the end of the day I'd selfishly prefer to keep doing the job I've always been doing, but if things don't work out, and it looks like we're heading that way, then I'll just have to adapt.

I'm not going to waste my time complaining about how foreigners are "stealing" the work, because that's not really how it works.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
TheRazorsEdge
detail freak

portfolio
Felix Lahme
Essen, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
..... frankly I am getting more than a little tired of the US-centric articles that get frequently posted here and prompt a furor of anti-European and anti-Asian sentiment. ...... complaining about how foreigners are "stealing" the work, because that's not really how it works.

Quoted for agreement!

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 08-28-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Hi Leigh, I see your point, but for me the the issue at hand is not about US Xenophobia directed at foreigners doing FX work. It is more about people fighting to stay afloat.

Here in the US I can see why some peoplewith agendas might twist the argument in that direction, but the reality of theproblem is more about plain old economics. As you know people hurting right now, and the troubles in LA is just asymptom of a growing problem. LA used to be the gold standard for post work,but more and more work is shipped to other locations. Economics are at play here,but it does not change the huge cost in terms of people losing theirlivelihoods. And of course this is not limited to the LA area, or even the US.

I have been hearing abouthow all of the sudden productions are leaving Vancouver and moving to Toronto chasing financial incentives. And who knows where they will go next.

And the sad thing is that situation will get only worst.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
SanjayChand
Gnomon Grad

portfolio
Sanjay Chand
Studio city, USA

I dont see any thing xenophobic about the idea of self-preservation.

LA/Cali based artist are usually anti-subsidy because the subsidies hurt them.
Canadian/Euro artists tend to not be anti-subsidy as the subsidies benefit them.

In the end, there is no point in finger-pointing or calling each other names.

It is what it is.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

When I go to LA or the Bay area, or hell here in DC it breaks my heart to hear the tales friends in the industry have. And these people are NOT lightweights.

Some of the best artist I know are SCARED for their futures. And they tell me how now is not enough to keep up with the latest tools, or beign able to do top work.

It used to be that the silly small studio work I do used to be looked down on, and now, they BEG me to help them get in. And I honestly feel despair because I have no clue how to help them.

They tell me how they feel like the Horse did in the George Orwell Animal Farm, exploided and only useful to be sold to the glue factory after decades of hard work.

I guess this will sound WAY corny, but in times like these we only have each other for support.

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08-28-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
eworc
Lord of the posts
portfolio
W.E. Crowe
Systems Analyst
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayChand
I dont see any thing xenophobic about the idea of self-preservation.

LA/Cali based artist are usually anti-subsidy because the subsidies hurt them.
Canadian/Euro artists tend to not be anti-subsidy as the subsidies benefit them.

In the end, there is no point in finger-pointing or calling each other names.

It is what it is.

Agreed 100%.

Stating that people are "anti-European and anti-Asian", Xenophobic or having any other psychological disorder is absurd.

Thread Closed share thread