Autodesk Releases Maya LT For Indie Game Developers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #61
Originally Posted by Bellsey: I don't think Maya needs that much pushing into games. It's been used quite extensively in games, even since v1.0.

Yes, but autodesk used to push max for this. Now it seems autodesk is pushing max more and more in the back corner and maya more into the front for everything.

Ppl would almost start to think autodesk is killing max.

Old 08 August 2013   #62
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: It looks like Autodesk is bending over backwards to please Apple and the developers for their platforms but care nothing about Android and all the other platforms, where Android is the biggest one of all.

/ Magnus

You do know Unity can publish to Android as well right? How is Autodesk bending over backwards to please Apple when the coolest additions in Maya for games is the DX11 viewport which only runs under windows.

Old 08 August 2013   #63
Originally Posted by doimus: The main issue with Maya LT is that once you start with it, you're locked into it.
You can't use it for modelling only, because game levels can easily exceed 25000 polygons.
A game level is not made a single mesh. Unity does not support meshes with more than 65k triangles, you need to split bigger objects in smaller part. You can have as many polygons and objects in Maya LT as you like. However, when you export, each individual object, props, roads, roofs, cannot be bigger than 25k.

Old 08 August 2013   #64
Anyway, the lack of scene rendering makes the app completely useless.
Seriously, who's gonna pay 750$ for a that crippled software just barely able to make props?

I believe that some kind of businessman who now rules autodesk and who don't even know what a polygon is wanted to be part of the hype around indie game-making. Dumb charts and market studies made the rest. The target is completely missed.

Old 08 August 2013   #65
Originally Posted by FLGB: Anyway, the lack of scene rendering makes the app completely useless.
Seriously, who's gonna pay 750$ for a that crippled software just barely able to make props?

I believe that some kind of businessman who now rules autodesk and who don't even know what a polygon is wanted to be part of the hype around indie game-making. Dumb charts and market studies made the rest. The target is completely missed.

Pretty much.

It is not the rendering but the lack of scripting and rigging/animation toolset for me. I can't even imagine using maya without being able to use all the mel/python scripts I use. And for whatever reason they gimped the rigging/animation toolset.

Old 08 August 2013   #66
It's funny how everyone wants something different from Maya LT.

I personally don't have much use for LT, because of how many restrictions there are. I'm hoping that the announcement in October will offer a rental plan for the whole package. I wonder if they could get it under $200 per month?

They were able to offer 90 day fixed term licenses for $200, so I don't see a reason this wouldn't work.

Old 08 August 2013   #67
re limitations

see the pdf
http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk..._mayalt_faq.pdf

only poly limitations appear to be exporting to fbx format,. this also appears to be the ONLY format you can export 3d data with so no obj, no dxf, no 3ds export options.

Importing is quite different as it supports many 3d file formats.

It would be useful if someone from autodesk would chime in here and expand on the statement of 25,000 "polygons"

is that tris?, quads, ngons?

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 08 August 2013   #68
Sure they've said elsewhere that it's 50,000 tris - which is a limitation of the FBX format.

Thing is, they do own that format - and not allowing obj export is just themselves limiting what can be exported.

Old 08 August 2013   #69
25000 polygons for current and next gen games.... isnt that a bit low?!

Old 08 August 2013   #70
Wow...you can't please all of them all the time, can you? Looking at how different users want different things in LT maybe it makes more sense to offer users the choice to choose feature sets? And price each feature set separately. Almost like make your own Maya flavor. Sounds ridiculous I know but might make more sense for users. Some probably do not want to lose animation features in favour of dynamics which might be useless to them. Or some might be okay with just modeling tools and scripting capabilities. Not sure how this would be possible technically though.

Anyways, its not for VFX or animation so I'll shut up now.

Old 08 August 2013   #71
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: 25000 polygons for current and next gen games.... isnt that a bit low?!

I'm not familiar much in game pipeline but can't you create let's say 100k poly scene and export it in 4 bits to game engine? Limitation is only export dependent as far is I understand.
None less 25k it is little.

Old 08 August 2013   #72
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: 25000 polygons for current and next gen games.... isnt that a bit low?!

For Indie developers and being per object. i don't think its bad at all. This isn't for highend studios making AAA titles, this is for small development houses (I mean small as in a team on 1-5) that need something to model and create assets with. Right now the hottest platform for the small indie games are mobile devices where resources are limited due to battery/lack for horsepower.

Old 08 August 2013   #73
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: Right now the hottest platform for the small indie games are mobile devices where resources are limited due to battery/lack for horsepower.

As others have already stated: 25K on an current iPad is nothing. Performance is limited because of texture memory and GPU bandwidth/fillrate. The 25K limit is a real hurting limit.

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08 August 2013   #74
with autodesk once again targeting the sub 800 price point last seen with xsi foundation (avid) alias maya game and discreet plasma they will bring more competition into that area where modo, cinema4d (lower versions) and lightwave 11.6 are
placed so driving their development forward for ALL these apps.

competition is a win win for us even if most of us have low/zero intentions of moving to Maya LT the foundry will see it as a competing product for new users offered at a lower price point from THE big software house of Autodesk which is controlling the 3d industry right now.

I see maya LT as the "photoshop elements" for 3d!
everyone will have to up their game and take notice on what Maya LT offers in comparison on newer versions of their own software due out in 2014...Maya LT is game centric so i hope the foundry offer more game centric tools/capabilities in Modo 801 due out in 2014.

note maya LT has some new features that are not even in MAYA FULL as of yet ie shader FX node based materials similar to 3dsmax.

in the end people need to concentrate on what Maya LT offers that other competing software in the same price range do not.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 08 August 2013   #75
Maya for games makes a lot of sense, it is allready widely used for games and games are on many levels very similar to movie productions so there is a lot overlapping.

Plus games and movies are blending into eachother so you want a unified pipeline in one DCC. Since movies are mostly Maya pipelines I guess it is easier to move games into a Maya pipeline then to push movies into a Max pipline to obtain the unified production process.

This is a win for production side, they can share tech and assets between movies and games. And this is a win for Autodesk that only has to maintain only one DCC for movies and gaming.

The tech demo on Autodesk Youtube channel are very impressive, kudos to kees and development team.
Since shaderfx is product agnostic it would be funny to see it popup in max (again), makes me wonder where this would leave nitrous.

Last edited by raymarcher : 08 August 2013 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Closed share thread