Autodesk Releases Maya LT For Indie Game Developers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Quote: I'm actually kind of surprised they would do this with Maya and not Max. Max is their best tool for indies and is well positioned already for smaller shops and individuals.

Based off the FAQ sheet

1.6 Will Autodesk fofer an LT version of max or softimage

Autodesk continues to evaluate many different product stratergies. At this time we have no communications on future development. Maya was chosen as the indie-focused development platform since it supports both microsoft windows operating system and apple mac osx opreating system, both of which are important to indie and mobile game developers.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by trancerobot: Buy this and lock yourself in. It helps them more than it'll help indies. Also, I'm actually kind of surprised they would do this with Maya and not Max. Max is their best tool for indies and is well positioned already for smaller shops and individuals.

The major reason for going Maya was cross-platform support as Maya is available on both Windows and Mac. With the lions share of indies developing for iOS it made sense for us to go with the application that was able to operate on the Mac ecosystem and suppor those developers.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: The major reason for going Maya was cross-platform support as Maya is available on both Windows and Mac. With the lions share of indies developing for iOS it made sense for us to go with the application that was able to operate on the Mac ecosystem and suppor those developers.

I too target iOS , but use OSX (MacMini) only for deployment, as i can't stand the whole Apple OS and hardware lock-in . And there are many other (Unity) developers out there who think exactly the same. I think this argument about crossplatform is at least disbutable, the main reason i suspect is that Autodesk want's to push Maya on the gamdev front...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: I think this argument about crossplatform is at least disbutable, the main reason i suspect is that Autodesk want's to push Maya on the gamdev front...

Ah yes, Maya, an application that is used on a metric fuckton of AAA games definitely needs some sort of conspiratorial plan to force it into the "games industry". Let's drop this idiotic reasoning and believe that sometimes people aren't lying about the reasons they do things.

[edit] to be clear: I'm not being mean, I just don't think talking about hypotheticals, conspiracies and 3 dimensional chess tactics of Autodesk to get Maya into the hands of Max users is really a very important, nor interesting nor worthwhile discussion to be had in this thread, of all threads.

Last edited by tuna : 08 August 2013 at 08:03 AM.

08 August 2013
The main issue with Maya LT is that once you start with it, you're locked into it.
You can't use it for modelling only, because game levels can easily exceed 25000 polygons.
You can't use advanced animation features (from other packages, like Maya or Max) because you're again tied to FBX and 25k limit.

Not exactly the most flexible solution.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: I too target iOS , but use OSX (MacMini) only for deployment, as i can't stand the whole Apple OS and hardware lock-in . And there are many other (Unity) developers out there who think exactly the same. I think this argument about crossplatform is at least disbutable, the main reason i suspect is that Autodesk want's to push Maya on the gamdev front...

This is clearly something twofold: Easing into rental models and figuring out how to appeal to individuals and small entities and managing that model, and having a cheap go at indie game development, a market that's fast slipping them by and that is likely to produce billions soon (if it hasn't made it to that range already).
A gigantic section of that market targets iOS, Android, and is surfacing on web platforms. A still considerable section will prefer, regardless of the qualities of the software itself, something with available cheap content and popular formats that already have an eco-system around them.
AD itself is likely to thrash this around a fair bit in the coming months, and therefore the more pliable of the three platforms in terms of dedicated dev team, platform support and code life/ease of revision would be the one that makes the most sense.

With all of that in mind, it's hard not to find that Maya, of the three, is the one falling most squarely in that intersection.

I'm unconvinced and underwhelmed by LT to be honest, at least with its current featureset (way too draconian), but while there might or might not be other agendas on the side, it'd be a pretty hard case to argue any of the above isn't sound reasoning and foremost consideration.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: ... but while there might or might not be other agendas on the side, it'd be a pretty hard case to argue any of the above isn't sound reasoning and foremost consideration.

yeah , okay , i should have said that they ARE pushing Maya on the gamedev front. What's the result regarding future product's focus on the 3ds Max side after the recent public outcry remains to be seen... Those things had an effect, but it's not clear ATM in what direction or amount ...

08 August 2013
Quote: Hotknife: Both 3ds Max and Maya are and will continue to be key products for general games development and games pipelines.

Good to hear - I welcome the idea of rent-able versions of all software on a monthly basis - for small studios it's going to help a lot. We've lost jobs because the clients been aware that we would need to upscale quickly and the costs involved would cut to large a hole in the budget.

The cross platform thing also makes sense - but what's with two Autodesk bod's in one post ?
Surely this is a place for just moaning and getting no response from AD
Is this feedback also a new AD theme - hope so.

08 August 2013
It looks like Autodesk is bending over backwards to please Apple and the developers for their platforms but care nothing about Android and all the other platforms, where Android is the biggest one of all.

/ Magnus

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Limitation is on the FBX file itself. The FBX file will top out at 25k polygons and will warn you if your export is beyond that limit. Currently the entire FBX file cannot hold more than 25,000 polygons. Does that help explain things better?

Yes it's completely clear now. So I still maintain my first impression. This 50K tris limitation is really nasty. As an indie dev I could eventually* have been interested in maya LT but at 750$ this limitation is far too restrictive. The prototype of the project I'm currently working on has some scenes that already exceeds this limitation, and it's just the prototype.

(* I say eventually, because I'm still really pissed off by autodesk. The much needed bug fix patches that were sold as new major versions and at the price of a complete new license was a joke I couldn't stand).

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: It looks like Autodesk is bending over backwards to please Apple and the developers for their platforms but care nothing about Android and all the other platforms, where Android is the biggest one of all.

/ Magnus

Uhhhh... what? If you want to publish on Android Maya LT isn't preventing you from that at all in any way nor is Autodesk. I'm puzzled as to where you came up with this.

FLGB: Yeah we're hearing this a fair bit since launch so we're discussing internally right now about some alternatives and ways we can correct this.

hotknife: We don't normally post much in the News section but you'll find quite a few of us posting in the CGSociety Maya forums helping folks out and answering questions

-s

08 August 2013
Quote: The prototype of the project I'm currently working on has some scenes that already exceeds this limitation, and it's just the prototype.

The scenes in a game can exceed 25k poly's but a single export via FBX can't as it's a limit of the FXB exporter - but obviously a scene will be made up of several objects.
Or do you mean that one environment model is above the 25k limit.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: the main reason i suspect is that Autodesk want's to push Maya on the gamdev front...

If you follow their youtube channel its pretty obvious... Lots of maya for gaming videos and almost nothing for max.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: yeah , okay , i should have said that they ARE pushing Maya on the gamedev front.

I don't think Maya needs that much pushing into games. It's been used quite extensively in games, even since v1.0.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Bellsey: I don't think Maya needs that much pushing into games. It's been used quite extensively in games, even since v1.0.

But still Autodesk does it, that's what i'm saying. I do not say this is bad, or that Maya LT is a bad move per se ( the limitation certainly are too limiting for my taste though ). But I'm talking from the perspective of a long time Max user. If Autodesk keeps pushing their packages the way they currently seem to do ( Maya ->Games/FX/Film , Max -> Design/Viz/Arch ), goodby Autodesk from my side. And i guess i'm not the only one...

Thread Closed share thread