Autodesk Releases Maya LT For Indie Game Developers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: What's the logic of not having Python and Mel included?

If you had the full scripting support nothing would prevent you from enabling full export capabilities, at which point many 3.5k seats would get instantly replaced by this

I know that a lot of places that resented the single license model switch some time ago would instantaneously hop across if they could export animation/point caches from this. The license unification was presented as unlimited coming down in price when it really was complete, which made up 80% of the seats wherever I worked, almost doubling.

Add scripting support and suddenly a lot of Maya animation seats on a lot of movies and games become 50 bucks a month for half a year a pop instead of 3.5k seat sales every year (more outside the States) and 4digit a year maintenances in the thousands.

08 August 2013
I don't think I've ever actually used Maya without any scripts or plugins. What's it like I wonder, any good? Has anyone used a totally stock Maya?

Also google cached the tomshardware link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

08 August 2013
I bet you they are losing a lot of market share to cheaper alternatives particularly in the game space since the game engines do so much and with a program like Maya there is bunch of fluff that you really don't need for making games...

Since there is no rendering can you even bake textures?

08 August 2013
Because this is an early news leak it lacks a lot of context.

I hear it was supposed to be a soon to come Unity centric announcement (at least in the where/when), so maybe wait a day or two before you speculate if you want a little bit more context than just knowing it exists

08 August 2013
Yea Unite starts tomorrow so we should have official info then.

Speaking of Unite, anyone here going? We should have a meetup.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Kabab: I bet you they are losing a lot of market share to cheaper alternatives particularly in the game space since the game engines do so much and with a program like Maya there is bunch of fluff that you really don't need for making games...

Since there is no rendering can you even bake textures?

The list said texture baking with Turtle was included.

Ole

08 August 2013
edit: Autodesk responded differently from what I expected from them. See my next post...

Last edited by Hirazi : 08 August 2013 at 01:34 PM.

08 August 2013
Maya - MEL = useless

08 August 2013
It does appear AD hasn't clammed up like they have done in the past, but officially issued the following press release on schedule: Autodesk Unveils Maya LT for Indie and Mobile Game Developers Starting at $50 a Month

Last edited by Hirazi : 08 August 2013 at 01:37 PM.

08 August 2013
Official announcement should be live now so feel free to ask any questions

kabab: Turtle is included for texture baking needs and we've also built a complete Turtle shading graph in ShaderFX so you can preview all of your bakes in VP2.0 with the ShaderFX surface shader.

08 August 2013
Is this something Autodesk has planned exclusively for Maya or can similar LT "rentable" versions "theoretically" be expected for Max and Softimage as well?

08 August 2013
Selling Maya at a reasonable price is a great news, but the 25K polygons limitation is quite nasty! Pure Autodesk Style!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by FLGB: Selling Maya at a reasonable price is a great news, but the 25K polygons limitation is quite nasty! Pure Autodesk Style!

It's 25,000 polygons on export which is ~50,000 triangles. Engines like Unreal and Unity will split objects beyond 65,500 triangles and given the target market is indie and mobile developers how many people are creating 25k polygon objects for use on an iPad? We're definitely open to feedback on this one but just wanted to clarify that the cap is only on export to FBX and you can jam as many polygons as your machine can handle into the LT scene itself (.mlt file).

08 August 2013
Your answer is not very clear. Where is the limitation?
a - On the FBX file sent to Unity that can't have more than 50k tris overall.
b - On objects inside that FBX file. Meaning that having one 60K tris object is not possible but having three 20K tris object possible? (still in one FBX file)

08 August 2013
Wondering where and what light this puts 3ds Max in for game development ? Is it a shift away from Max as a tool for games, why would you spend 3.5k on Max if you can build and animate in Maya LT ?

This is jumping on a bit but will we see an even greater lack of development in Max for animating of characters and the like...

Thread Closed share thread