autodesk to start new business model in october

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #61
Originally Posted by Steve Green: .....It would make no sense to keep giving Autodesk money for an app, when that money is diverted to another app that you have no interest in.

I don't get why that even matters. I mean when I go in to a store I buy what I want or like. The money I spend there will probably go into the same store pot as all the other customers money. That's just the way it works and I don't care so long as I got what I paid for.

Old 08 August 2013   #62
Well that depends if you think you're getting good value for money or not.

If I pay x amount for a Max sub, and someone else pays the same amount for a Maya sub, then I'm going to feel like I'm not getting equal value for money if they have a much larger dev team and seemingly more promotion, certain features.

I don't think a store is a valid comparison.

You're generally not penalised to the extent you are with Autodesk if you don't shop there for a bit.

Old 08 August 2013   #63
I wonder at this point which app is most used in games. I think most use Maya for animation but I still see Max a lot too.
Besides dropping the price of Maya, it doesn't seem like there's much you can change about a 3D app that makes it better for games. Pretty much everything can export to FBX so the only improvement for 3D apps I can see are specific tools to make it easier to move content to a game engine, but that matters more for a specific engine rather that what Autodesk can do to push Maya.

Old 08 August 2013   #64
I think they have a huge market open for them now with LT that just popped out.
These days game engines like Unity or UDK have a very small access point and since mobile gaming is on fire this just seems perfect.
At $50 per seat a lot of indy guys can finally afford it. It is stripped down but still, it's Maya and I think they will hit jackpot with this and further dev force will be directed to keep the momentum going... well unless we see Max LT appear soon

I'm really interested to see full app pricing. I'm still on Max 2009 and if it's right I'll probably buy 2014. Also I wouldn't worry about Max going down. Go to the galleries below and see what kind of software is used. Check every image till 5th page and you will see what i mean

Last edited by Visum : 08 August 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #65
well unless we see Max LT appear soon

That isn't going to happen so just come to the dark side and get it over with

On a serious note, the FAQ that was posted said there will not be a Max LT because Maya is on both OSX and Win

1.6 Will Autodesk fofer an LT version of max or softimage

Autodesk continues to evaluate many different product stratergies. At this time we have no communications on future development. Maya was chosen as the indie-focused development platform since it supports both microsoft windows operating system and apple mac osx opreating system, both of which are important to indie and mobile game developers.

Old 08 August 2013   #66
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: On a serious note, the FAQ that was posted said there will not be a Max LT because Maya is on both OSX and Win

1.6 Will Autodesk fofer an LT version of max or softimage

Autodesk continues to evaluate many different product stratergies. At this time we have no communications on future development. Maya was chosen as the indie-focused development platform since it supports both microsoft windows operating system and apple mac osx opreating system, both of which are important to indie and mobile game developers.

They did not say "There will not be a Max LT"
While it might be unlikely that we see a Max LT, your above statement of what Autodesk has said/written on that matter is not correct

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08 August 2013   #67
I've maintained my Maya subscription for several years because AD has the strategy of making that the less expensive option unless you let your subscription lapse for enuf years to buy a new license. Nonetheless, if they switch to a forced subscription model with no option to for me to use the software if choose to let my subscription lapse, I'll take a very close look at Blender, which seems to have matured quite a bit over the years.

Old 08 August 2013   #68
Originally Posted by EightBit: I've maintained my Maya subscription for several years because AD has the strategy of making that the less expensive option unless you let your subscription lapse for enuf years to buy a new license. Nonetheless, if they switch to a forced subscription model with no option to for me to use the software if choose to let my subscription lapse, I'll take a very close look at Blender, which seems to have matured quite a bit over the years.

If I can't use software that I paid for then no thank you and I am looking elswere.

Old 09 September 2013   #69
Originally Posted by rhinton: Lulz all around for this.

I just would like to know one thing, "“What success? Adobe recently did this and you’re calling it a success? People hate this idea…I don’t understand how you’d call it a success. Did sales skyrocket the very next day for Adobe?"

Granted I'm not sure of the time frame from Adobe doing this program, has it been months already? Years?! Am I out of the loop?! Oh god!!

If anyone can provide me with that information I'd be grateful.

Actually, Adobe floundered out of the gate on the whole software rental thing. Prices were simply too high. Their launch of Creative Cloud was different, though.

With Cloud, their pricing model dropped to the point where basically you got the entire Adobe collection for the price they were charging earlier for a single piece of software rental.

I don't have any info on how this impacted their sales, but I can tell you a couple of things from my own perspective. First, "renting" software is not an idea I warmed up to easily. However, when you look at the raw numbers and what we all spend keeping our software up to date, Cloud is a no brainer. It is cheaper and far more convenient than .

Second, I know a lot of guys who never bought Adobe software in the past and just pirated what they needed. Once Cloud came out, even these guys got on board, because $50 a month meant they could eliminate a lot of the hassles involved with continually updating pirated versions.

If AD follows Adobe's lead and makes the pricing model extremely attractive, people will get on board. As it is now, I own SI and pay yearly maintenance. i could drop maintenance and still use the software, but that comes at a sacrifice. I make use of those updates every release cycle. For me, a package not on maintenance slowly erodes in value, even if it basically does what I need at the moment. Will it even be compatible with future OS releases? So basically, I now "own" software and "rent" its continued functionality.

Again, I don't have any notion that AD will be aggressive on pricing, but there is a huge market out there that could be monetized if they would. Sometimes it is better to have a smaller piece of a much bigger pie. Hopefully they will get that.

Old 09 September 2013   #70
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread