autodesk to start new business model in october

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
I'd be surprised if they aren't trying to do the same thing as AdobeIt's great in the short-term, but long term if I'm going to be using the software for a while it's going to become very expensive.

You never know AD could also add rent to own if they do not go full cc like adobe.

Old 08 August 2013   #17
If autodesk go rental then i'll be interested to see what pricing structure will be for new users verses those already on subscription program.

I'd also be looking to see if Autodesk offer a migration option for softimage and 3dsmax users over to Maya seeing as autodesk has abandoned development on anything other than Maya in recent releases in many peoples eyes...yes "some" new things came to softimage and 3dsmax but Maya gets ALL the attention for new tech.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 08 August 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
I don't know why they wouldn't do the exact same thing as Adobe and get rid of perpetual licenses. They won't care as long as they're making more money. And while people will complain and maybe a few people will switch to something else, most people will probably just take it.
It's not easy to convince people to try something new, so people will stick with the software they know unless they have something that actually prevents them from doing what they need to. Even if it's not a good deal and they know better.

Old 08 August 2013   #19
Good news...

Old 08 August 2013   #20
but adobe doesn't have any competition for after effects and photoshop so they can get away with this. There are plenty of alternatives to most of the the autodesk products I use.

Old 08 August 2013   #21
For me, this could be a good thing if the price matches between country,
at the moment, to buy Maya as a digital download in Oz is $5,175
as apposed to America, $3,675,
Even with the current exchange rate, that's ridiculous, the Australian government is even investigating why they are charging us so much more..
Guess we'll just have to wait and see in October

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Originally Posted by rochre26: but adobe doesn't have any competition for after effects and photoshop so they can get away with this. There are plenty of alternatives to most of the the autodesk products I use.

Autodesk has about as much competition for their products as Adobe has for theirs. And even if they have competition, it's not likely that Autodesk users are going to want to learn a different software

Old 08 August 2013   #23
No they don't. Adobe, especially the suites (and integration) are firmly in the #1 spot. In #2-#10 a whole lot of nothing and then a few small players that do single products.

Autodesk while big has some semi-equal competitors.

Old 08 August 2013   #24
It's certainly going to be interesting to see Autodesk's pricing structure.
I would assume that the monthly, rent if for one product only, will be noticeably higher than a subscription, else Autodesk will be swapping a guaranteed yearly income (subscription) for a monthly gamble (rent). Another reason renting will have to be more expensive is that from a users perspective subscription has a major disadvantage, if you drop subscription for a time, you have to pay the missed subscription plus a penalty charge, if renting was a comparable cost users would switch on mass to avoid this penalty.

Possibly the only thing that would make a long term rent attractive would be if it covered a suite of products and the yearly rent was more than a subscription for a single product, but less than a single subscription for one of the current suites (Max, Softimage, Motionbuilder).

Of course it could just be a purely short term renting situation, like The Foundry does for Nuke, where renting is only cost effective if you just need the software for 3 or 4 months of the year only.

If it is just a short term rent situation, then the cynical part of me wonders if this is just a ploy to deflect the (IMHO) justified dissatisfaction users of Softimage, and increasingly MAX over the very minimal development these products seem to have received in recent years. After all it is a lot easier to add an extra pricing option than completely change your development practices.

Old 08 August 2013   #25
Regarding competition:
Houdini, Cinema4d, Zbrush, Modo, Mari, 3dcoat, Blender... Nuff said

With Adobe style approach Autodesk will loose majority of small/one man productions.
Big studios are different story.
Specially having in mind how AD develops software

Cant wait to see the final fall of an evil empire

Last edited by djorzgul : 08 August 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #26
Not sure how adobes release schedule has changed since the cloud thing but is it possible that AD could change the release schedule for their products.

Old 08 August 2013   #27
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I'd be surprised if they aren't trying to do the same thing as Adobe

It's great in the short-term, but long term if I'm going to be using the software for a while it's going to become very expensive.

Well, let's say that Autodesk does decide to offer something along the lines of "cancel anytime $200 monthly subscription fee" for Maya. That would be about $2,400 per year, and $4,800 in two years. You can purchase Maya for a one time fee of about $3,700 plus the $500 subscription, and you're at $ 4,200 + $500 every year after that.

The reason why I'd prefer the monthly subscription model is that you never own Maya in the first place. You can't sell, and transfer the license to anyone else. You're essentially paying 4 grand for a lease. It'd be okay if the income that you're getting through the use of the software is steady month to month, but markets are not that predictable.

My personal opinion is that if the cost of ownership is quite up there, and it can't be legally resold, then I'd rather pay for the subscription.

Old 08 August 2013   #28
looking here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-lt-family/buy

Autodesk AutoCAD Inventor LT Suite:
their $1500 to buy app is $95 per month

maya is $3600 to buy or about double the price...so i good guess is that maya will be for example $200 a month rental and i guess autodesk will simply change the symbol for uk sterling or euro's as usual!

Of course if this works out to be true then Autodesk rental works out about 400% to cost of adobe's offerings.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 08 August 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #29
yeah adobe's stuff sounds like a bargain if they want $200 a month for maya or max

adobe's after effects normally sells $1000 and you can subscribe for $20 a month

maya and max should cost more like $80 a month if they are to match adobe's pricing. Then again....adobe only charged $350 for an upgrade, while autodesk charged like 50% the full retail price to upgrade

The other thing adobe has going for them is they've made an effort to make CS6 future compatible with their cloud software and will even let you own CS6 once you've subscribed a few years. I doubt autodesk will do either of those

Last edited by sentry66 : 08 August 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #30
Options are good. Autodesk will always be pricey, though.

Thread Closed share thread