Cybertiger
Rainer Zoettl
CEO
Pixelblue
Austria

Pixomondo and payments

They have been known for late payments but it is a mess again recently:
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...xclusive-112681

I guess they will have a hard time soon, finding any good freelancers if they are not paying.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Rawalanche
Senior Noob

portfolio
Ludvik Koutny
3D Generalist
Prague, Czech Republic

"It's not something we're super proud of, but we're working to clear it up,"....

He should have used some better phrasing, because now it sounds like: It's not something we're super proud of... we are quite proud of it, just not super proud...

Last edited by Rawalanche : 08-23-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertiger
They have been known for late payments but it is a mess again recently:
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...xclusive-112681

I guess they will have a hard time soon, finding any good freelancers if they are not paying.

To my knowledge they already have. Personally I would never ever work with them again.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

I heard about that too, even a few years back when they opened offices everywhere, in fact I've been warned not to work there for above named reason.
Only worked there once, for a very short time (2 days) and got paid within a week so I can't complain about anything though.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Cybertiger
Rainer Zoettl
CEO
Pixelblue
Austria

I was working for them (Yes i know ... stupid.. but i was desperate. )
Waiting for their money since over three month now.
But you know what ... they offered me a lead role in one of their locations.
I guess they don't care that they owe me a bunch of money.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
tofubun
Veteran

portfolio
Andrew Innes
Animator TD
London, United Kingdom

This is absolutely disgusting, makes me sick to my stomach. Hope youre doing ok Cybertiger.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertiger
I was working for them (Yes i know ... stupid.. but i was desperate. )
Waiting for their money since over three month now.
But you know what ... they offered me a lead role in one of their locations.
I guess they don't care that they owe me a bunch of money.

Get a lawyer, make the lawyer write a "letzte Mahnung". Just having a lawyer writing that stuff sometimes works miracles. It's not gonna cost a fortune, if you are in Germany the price is very strictly regulated by the Bundesrechtsanwaltsgebührenordnung, quite moderate and way better than having no payment at all. If you are on H4 you can get a lawyer for free.
If they still don't pay, let the lawyer write a Mahnbescheid or Mahnverfahren, including Mahngebühren and Verzugszinsen.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

"TheWrap has been in contact with roughly a half-dozen current or former Pixomondo freelancers who are frustrated over the late payments and the explanations they have received from the company's leadership team. They requested that they remain anonymous out of fear that coming forward would damage opportunities in the visual-effects industry."

That's one of the saddest parts about that article for me. The notion that your reputation or future employment opportunities could somehow be damaged because you want to get paid for the work your were hired to do is complete madness.

Firstly, if someone doesn't pay you, they are in the wrong, not you. Secondly, the financial departments are not connected to the personnel departments. Thirdly, even if they were, a company that wouldn't hire you on the basis that you demand the simple respect of being paid what you are 100% legitimately owed is exactly the kind of company that you are going to have that problem with.

Being frightened of being identified as someone who wants to get paid is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited by AJ : 08-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
That's one of the saddest parts about that article for me. The notion that your reputation or future employment opportunities could somehow be damaged because you want to get paid for the work your were hired to do is complete madness.

Firstly, if someone doesn't pay you, they are in the wrong, not you.

That's probably because this industry is still relatively small in Germany (compared to e.g. UK, USA, Canada) and Pixomondo is the biggest name in the industry here.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
ThePistolPete
Veteran
Peter N.
Technical Artist
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
Get a lawyer, make the lawyer write a "letzte Mahnung". Just having a lawyer writing that stuff sometimes works miracles.

This won't help these times. I know a lot of freelancers trying to force Pixomondo paying their invoices with the help of lawyers. No chance at the moment.

And I know in Germany there are more than "roughly 20 freelancers" had not been paid. I'm one of them.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
sconlogue
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Conlogue
3D Visualization Artist
Infusion Studios, Inc.
Portland, USA

I've never worked for them, but I'm bummed to hear freelancers are getting the runaround on payment. It's not like they can say "oh you need that shot done ASAP? Hmmm.. I'll get to it tomorrow." Then delivery it 3 months later. Freelancers should be able to expect the same professionalism from their client as is expected from themselves.

Sadly this is totally commonplace at a lot of places outside the VFX world as well. Ad agencies being perhaps the worst offenders. I've even been told up front that payment would be 2 to 3 months after work is completed. Huh, um no thanks! Or worse you get into payment limbo where nobody seems to know anything except when the deadline is and that you have to deliver.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
CG-IMAGE
Veteran

portfolio
Maurice Jochem
Senior 3D-Artist / CEO
CG-IMAGE
Norderstdt, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokoy
That's probably because this industry is still relatively small in Germany (compared to e.g. UK, USA, Canada) and Pixomondo is the biggest name in the industry here.

Which has nothing to say... I know nobody who will work for them... nearly everybody i talked with about PXO got only bad words...

Old 08-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice-Panisch
Which has nothing to say... I know nobody who will work for them... nearly everybody i talked with about PXO got only bad words...

My comment was referring to why those artists wanted to remain anonymous.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistolPete
This won't help these times. I know a lot of freelancers trying to force Pixomondo paying their invoices with the help of lawyers. No chance at the moment.

And I know in Germany there are more than "roughly 20 freelancers" had not been paid. I'm one of them.

I'd try. What can you lose? Last time I had to sue somebody for my payment it took 5 months but I got paid in the end.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Mic_Ma
lightfooted rambling-man

Murkus
Tiddelduddledee
Vatican City State (Holy See)

I was under the impression Pixomondo only uses unpaid interns.

Thread Closed share thread