Somthing MODO this way comes...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Somthing MODO this way comes...

The video peek is up on the Luxology YouTube site. The other vids are only in the Direct Connect available to registered users. But the cat is now out of the bag so to speak.

It's a bit mind blowing (at least to some of us).

Sorry I deleted the link...was unaware that the video was private....I apologize.

Last edited by Puzzle3d : 08 August 2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: I thought it was public on YouTube...it wasn't

08 August 2013
Wow. That is actually amazing, and I would love to see the topology it is generating while doing that.

08 August 2013
There are a fair few CAD programs around with realtime boolean operations, but that looks decently implemented. I too would like to see the topology created.

08 August 2013
yes it is similar to Groboto, in facts the same developer is working on this.

08 August 2013
The tech is from the developers of Groboto. They have been working with the Luxology/Foundry team for some time now and they are starting to show what has been happening.

Time will show how it all fits together. We are very excited over in MODO'ville.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Decency: Wow. That is actually amazing, and I would love to see the topology it is generating while doing that.

Look at the groboto website and you can see some examples (although it's apparently got better than that).
It's actually very far from bad topo all considered. Somewhere between a dynamesh regular grid partitioning and a first pass of auto-retopo.

The developer(s) also comes across as this incredibly involved, candid and transparent guys. I wish them well.

08 August 2013
I've seen some Groboto videos and the resulting mesh is not bad at all. There are many parameters to produce final mesh in the program, in particular meshes suited to work well in Zbrush. Maybe this was improved too in Modo. And , there is always the possibility to edit/optimizing the resulting mesh at the end of the process with the current tools in modo.
Also, a good thing is that all seems to be editable until the end and l animatable too, so this tech could be good for alot of purposes.

08 August 2013
From what has been shown on the direct connect section of the Modo forum, it's very very neat. I'm looking forward to the release.

08 August 2013
Looks like it's time to learn Modo

08 August 2013
I'm a little puzzled as to what's really new about this? C4D has had 'live' boolean generator objects for years, they are animatable too. I guess the difference is that this produces relatively clean topology? (the C4D ones rarely do unless the geometry is very simple).

The video would have had a lot more 'wow' factor for me if they actually showed a wire of the mesh it was producing.

No disrespect to the Modo devs, I'm sure it's a great app, but I get the same feeling watching this as when they demoed their rigging system a couple of versions back, claiming it was groundbreaking. It looked a lot like the FullbodyIK/Human IK systems in Maya/Motion Builder to me.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 08 August 2013 at 06:07 PM.

08 August 2013
yes, the clean topology is what I like, having the live boolean update is nice, but mostly I just want clean meshes.

08 August 2013
If i remember correctly the developer of this plugin wrote on the forum why no resulting wireframes were shown in the videos was because he is not yet finished with that, it needs more developement time before he will publish videos of what the mesh looks like.

But the Groboto wires should give a hint at what's to come for Modo. Promising stuff!

/ Magnus

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: I'm a little puzzled as to what's really new about this? C4D has had 'live' boolean generator objects for years, they are animatable too. I guess the difference is that this produces relatively clean topology? (the C4D ones rarely do unless the geometry is very simple).

The video would have had a lot more 'wow' factor for me if they actually showed a wire of the mesh it was producing.

No disrespect to the Modo devs, I'm sure it's a great app, but I get the same feeling watching this as when they demoed their rigging system a couple of versions back, claiming it was groundbreaking. It looked a lot like the FullbodyIK/Human IK systems in Maya/Motion Builder to me.

Cheers,
Brian

Yea that is why I am wait and see about this. It looks really cool in videos but it never shows the one thing that matters, the topology.

Hope it actually delivers on what it promises because it will be immensely helpful for hard surface modeling.

08 August 2013
Can anyone explain the advantages of the Modo plugin over the Groboto app itself?

Groboto's interactive Boolean modelling is a very creative non linear approach to hard and soft body design. I use it in conjunction with Lightwave's Modeler and it's a liberating way of sketching out concepts very quickly which can be revised at any stage from start to finish. In my view it's got the edge on Zbrush for ease of use as subtractive booleans using the insert mesh brush on Dynamesh models seem a bit clunky and unpredictable. Hope someone can put me right here but try subtracting booleans 2- 3 times in succession in ZB with the insert mesh method and you'll find holes filled in and negative shapes reappearing. The ZB subtools approach to Boolean subtraction works great but it's not a non linear approach and you don't get the immediate feedback you do in Groboto. I wish Pixologic would focus more development on Boolean geometry as it's not the fastest or most inspired approach compared to Groboto's ingenious workflow.

08 August 2013
The advantage is that you have a full set of modelings tools instead of having to switch between programs.

Thread Closed share thread