Tom Hudson proposes Autodesk!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Tom Hudson proposes Autodesk!

Yeah, you read right! In an amazing demonstration of passion for a software and the community, Tom Hudson himself proposed to re-Yost the development of 3dsMax in a Win-Win business model to Autodesk. If any of you haven't yet, I HIGHLY recommend reading the gargantuan comment section of the MaxUnderground page here and then proceed to give your vote towards this idea here

This is a first in this industry and should NOT be taken lightly. Maybe nothing will change, but the sheer amount of comments and long time 3dsMax users voicing their concerns as well as possible solutions demonstrates just how strong and passionate the user base of 3dsMax is. The people complaining there are not just users, are veterans, decision making people who helped shape the very industry we live on today.

Autodesk has right before it an incredible opportunity to not only lead a Renaissance in DCC software but also sharply increase the possible revenue of its software lineup while avoiding the exodus to competing softwares.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
3ds max needs another Steve Jobs, not the Tom Hudson.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erka2
3ds max needs another Steve Jobs, not the Tom Hudson.

Do you have a spare Steve laying around so we can use?

This is just an opportunity to voice your dissatisfaction in an organized and focused way that will surely climb up high in the Autodesk ranks since most people complaining are actually known to (part of) the decision making people over there. We all came to this forum to say this and that about Max but the effort is often diminished by the diffusion of so many different problems and opinions.

This is the closest I've ever seen of a jointed effort. And just by this it has some very important merits.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davius

This is just an opportunity to voice your dissatisfaction in an organized and focused way that will surely climb up high in the Autodesk ranks since most people complaining are actually known to (part of) the decision making people over there. We all came to this forum to say this and that about Max but the effort is often diminished by the diffusion of so many different problems and opinions.

This is the closest I've ever seen of a jointed effort. And just by this it has some very important merits.

Unfortunately I can propose only one laying around Steve, but he isn't that functional at this moment.
You have an opportunity to voice dissatisfaction using your pocket (use 3ds max version which works for you and don't update).
But I understood your idea/vision. I just afraid if Autodesk will react literally and just hires Tom Hudson
This is not what will help 3ds max. What's broken lies much deeper and applies to other tools developed by Autodesk and management/development processes/decisions.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
My first gut feeling was to laugh at it. On second thought, however, it might actually work at enough levels, and the names aren't some pubescent kids out of a garage either.
If that's what you "MAX guys" wish for to happen, my best wishes to you that it will.

The Yost group back then made some history, and while I don't use, nor doubt I will ever care to use, MAX, it feels like the proposal there has enough affinity with the userbase and might drum enough support to be more good than bad.

Good luck guys, it'd be nice to see it happen even for non MAXers like me.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davius

I've got a Wozniak.
Much better then a Jobs in my opinion, especially when it comes to making software that works rather then just look pretty.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Maybe I didn't make my perception of the events clear.

What I mean with all this is show that, things grew to the point where most are just fed up of so many years of promises, broken solutions and just plain lack of development in key areas. Everybody has issues with the software of choice, but things with Max are at a boiling state. Even old timers are gathering to show concern and propose possible solutions. These people are in the industry for too long and know their trade, and when so many of them say that something should change it's better to listen.

I'm by no means saying that 're stabilising the Yost Group would save Max, but it would surely change things. Maybe the best solution is to be more transparent with the roadmaps, disclosure some of the development being made. Maybe increase the development team. Maybe it's better to just shut down Max entirely, who knows? What I see is a lot of really passionate users and very talented developers (thinkbox, cebas, rayfire to name a few) caring a lot for a software that is somewhat abandoned by AD. If these people are voicing their concerns and calling for some changes so am I.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Me too. Things have got to a stage where users are actively discussing migration as one option. I personally think I have see the writing on the wall at this stage and its time to hedge my bets. Interested in AD response to all this "grassroots" dissent.

MY HMC

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
I've got a Wozniak.
Much better then a Jobs in my opinion, especially when it comes to making software that works rather then just look pretty.

We're sadly out of Dennis Ritchie's, or the world would be a better place in general.
I'm sure MAX would do alright with Hudson though

Old 07 July 2013   #10
I think it's a cool gesture, but I don't see any reason for Autodesk to go for it. In fact, I don't see any reason for Autodesk to change anything in their 3dsmax development practices.

If all your users hated you, but they kept paying you more money every year, why would you change? Autodesk is not some 2-man operation that gives a crap what some users think of them, especially not if the cash continues to come in.

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Want them to stand up and listen?

All the users should skip paying subs for 1 year, when they have a 8-9 figure hole in their pipeline everything will change.

Best thing is you don't have to do anything and it won't cost you a cent literally.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Very interesting story, even to me as a strict Softimage user. The proposal will probably be turned down, but the nature of the proposal and the main person behind this, seem to make it quite difficult for AD to "just" shoot it down quietly, from a PR perspective.
They might have to hire someone who actually knows PR for this one.
Interesting development to watch I'm sure... (...gets popcorn...)

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabab

All the users should skip paying subs for 1 year, when they have a 8-9 figure hole in their pipeline everything will change.

Best thing is you don't have to do anything and it won't cost you a cent literally.

I agree! And that will happen eventually, be it their desire or not. But first things first - if you can bash them with a few mouse clicks and some wording on a thread, why not do it too?

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabab

Unfortunately (for the user), AD could shut down the entire M&E division and it probably wouldnt put much of of dent in their global revenue numbers, which majorly come from the cad side of things.

Old 07 July 2013   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
Unfortunately (for the user), AD could shut down the entire M&E division and it probably wouldnt put much of of dent in their global revenue numbers, which majorly come from the cad side of things.

That's true also. But this "dent" is worth some hundred million dollars which, specially for the greedy people, is a LOT of money. Microsoft recently had a "dent" loss on Surface at retailers of around 900 million which dwarfs near the profit it had in other areas (surpassing 25 billion total). That's less than 4 percent of the total amount of money they made! Now ask them if they minded losing this wee bit of cash.

reply share thread