RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
CB: The View from Wall Street: Weak “Turbo” Opening Highlights DreamWorks problems

Quote:
"ollowing the lackluster opening of Turbo, DreamWorks Animation heard grumbling from Wall Street this afternoon, with shares in the company losing over 5% of their value on NASDAQ. Sterne Agee analyst Vasily Karasyo released a report this morning that offers a big-picture perspective on DreamWorks and explains why the weak Turbo debut highlights the erosion of DreamWorks’ business model, which relies largely on a few tentpole films every year. "

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...sion-86371.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

I could have told you a snail racing real cars wouldnt do well.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Yeah, it's kind of funny like financial matters are always abstracted to financial models of analysis.
The premise was uninteresting and the trailer uninspiring. What did they expect? The work might be stellar, and the movie life altering, for all I know, but marketing and surface presentation got cocked up pretty majorly.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
what are they addicted to ..that makes them believe a Movie about a snail race would do well?

snail: cute...NO

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead
what are they addicted to ..that makes them believe a Movie about a snail race would do well?

snail: cute...NO
The same could have probably been said about a rat cooking gourmet food in Paris.

It is the execution of the idea and then the proper marketing that matters. The trailers they released always revolved around the snails. If the trailers had started with the car based footage before introducing Turbo as a snail that wanted to race and had the speed, the reception could have been quite different. Instead it was all about Turbo, his boring life and how he wanted to be fast from the start before showing clips of his accident and the crew of wannabe fast snails.

Last edited by Darrolm : 07-25-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
PerryDS
Everything Creative

portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
Lacklustre concept slammed in against many other animated productions = financial disaster.

Much of it has to do with timing, and these studios have to dial down the number of releases they put out each year. Only so much cash to go around.

They may want to find ways to dial down the production budgets, and begin to think creatively on how they can fashion a story and stylistically punch it out for a lot less.

Despicable Me 2 is a prime example of how to get it done.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
doghat
Expert
portfolio
Dan Ritchie
Animator
USA

>>The same could have probably been said about a rat cooking gourmet food in Paris.

I've compared the two many times. I think the difference is that the rat movie also had the Iron Chef tie in that happened to be very popular at the time. Not sure about racing at the moment. The rat movie also happened to be a very good movie, and a Pixar movie to top it of. Oh yeah, and rats are cooler than snails any day.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrolm
The same could have probably been said about a rat cooking gourmet food in Paris.

It is the execution of the idea and then the proper marketing that matters. The trailers they released always revolved around the snails. If the trailers had started with the car based footage before introducing Turbo as a snail that wanted to race and had the speed, the reception could have been quite different. Instead it was all about Turbo, his boring life and how he wanted to be fast from the start before showing clips of his accident and the crew of wannabe fast snails.

Nah, the concept sucks. Rats are cool - they're cute, cunning, and have broad appeal. Snails are just... crap.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Nah, the concept sucks. Rats are cool - they're cute, cunning, and have broad appeal. Snails are just... crap.
I am not arguing that the concept is great. Just saying that it is how it is spun.

As for rats, it really depends on the person but they are of course more favorable to many over snails.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

How many of you actually watch Turbo?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Array
Make way for the bad guy.

CGSociety Member
Mr. Array
USA

Quote:
Rats are cool - they're cute, cunning, and have broad appeal.

They also carry deadly pathogens such as bubonic plague and hantavirus. No thanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Larrikin
Enthusiast

portfolio
David Monahan
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhics
How many of you actually watch Turbo?

Doesn't matter if anyone has seen it because the article is about the poor opening which is largely dependent on the things commented on, like the trailer and impressions people have of the main characters and general concept.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

That's possibly close to the mark. The rats looked similar to hamsters, gerbils and guinea pigs. Half the kids on the planet have had one of those as a pet at some point, so the appeal is obvious. Snails on the other hand, well you just can't pick them up and play with them now can you?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Hmm-rats aren't that great. Especially when you see one half the size of a racoon walking down the street! And if you found one in your house-the same -sewer-type- depicted in the film would you really want to cuddle it?!
Pixar did have a good story too-and I agree the Iron Chef could have helped with a trend.

Meanwhile-Turbo is about snails...and cars. Cars may have been the lamest franchise to come out of Pixar for us adult fans-but the resulting toys and spin-off flicks likely generated the most coin for them too. Its tops for kids - especially boys. My son watched many of the Pixar films seemingly hundreds of times-but Cars most of all. Same for nearly every kid his age i ever met.

All that to say Turbo as a concept doesn't seem that lame to me-would turtles be better? But maybe the car trend got saturated by Pixar - who can say?! I'm just saying the recipe for disaster at the box office doesn't seem
so cut and dry to me. Its a bit surprising. It might be a timing issue instead.

BTW my son did see the trailer during MU-I think he'd like to see Turbo...

Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

[puts 'talking about this is going to sound ridiculous' hat on]

I don't think the comparison to Ratatoullie is fair. If you can get past the 'rat is intelligent enough to cook' issue, there's nothing about the physical nature of what he did that was too outrageous. He ran and jumped and used his little hands and such, but he never made any "magical" moves that took him away from essentially being a rat. The whole point of the story was of putting what most would consider the last animal you'd want in a restaurant kitchen in charge of a kitchen. And the lack of speaking to humans made it that much more "real."

A snail is not only unappealing as a character, but to even have a "cartoon" hope of beating a race car would require him to essentially be magical (which I think he actually was in the movie, not sure). So we have a world of real race cars and a world of magical fairy snails. Mmm-k. Truly, the premise is just so dumb and doesn't even begin to follow any kind of internal logic, cartoony or otherwise.

My son actually wanted to see Turbo, but neither of us could stomach sitting through it with him (based on the ads). He thought the premise looked silly and fun. Go figure. VOD it is (eventually).

Thread Closed share thread