Madden creator awarded $11 million in suit against EA

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Madden creator awarded $11 million in suit against EA

Quote:
"The original programmer of the first Madden football game is $11 million richer today, thanks to a jury ruling in U.S. District Court -- and there could be much more money on the way. Robin Antonick claimed that his code, which was used in the original 1988 version of the franchise, was subsequently used in later versions of the game without his knowledge. He took EA to court in 2011 to sue for royalties and interest, originally in the amount of $16 million.

The jury returned the verdict in Antonick's favor late Tuesday after three days of deliberation, saying the Madden games between 1990 and 1996 were "virtually identical" to the version Antonick created, featuring similar formations and plays.

Antonick's attorneys revealed the $11 million figure.

"

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...-161048413.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07 July 2013   #2
I guess somebody didn't have a notion of "anything you do will become the property of the employer" written in their contract back then.

Pretty much standard issue clause for a studio -game or VFX- today...

Old 07 July 2013   #3
He didn't directly work for them. Only under contract.

"Antonick was the developer for the original Madden on Commodore, Apple II, and MS-DOS back in 1988. Back in 2011, he sued EA for millions in unpaid royalties to claims his contract he signed back in 1986 had a stipulation where he would be paid royalties not just for the games he developed, but also for derivative works."

Any work / source code I do remains my property. I will not sign a contract with that in. Especially these days where companies get a proper designer / programmer to do the initial work then basically get interns to do subsequent work. It ain't right and I have successfully won 2 cases where companies used my work. The amazing thing is they think that they can get away with it! They are adverts on TV or online!

I will sign away the source files but they have to pay for them. This is the problem with our industries. The talent are the people with the power, but they just don't realise it and by our/your very nature we are not (always) business minded.

People think it's cool to work on a movie or show so will work 18 hour days and suck it up while the suits are laughing all the way to the bank/cayman Islands.

And if anyone dares ask me to do a freebie this time, and they'll sort me out on the next one...

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread