CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
popol
Know-it-All
 
popol's Avatar
portfolio
Yoann Granier
France
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 359
fxguide The State of Rendering article

great article published by mike seymour on fxguide : State of Rendering

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-state-of-rendering/
__________________
popol va au cirque ....
 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
pokoy
dental floss tycoon
 
pokoy's Avatar
portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,293
Thanks for posting, very interesting.
 
Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
DaJuice
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Siavash Tehrani
USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 499
Nice, thanks for sharing that.
 
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X
 
ThE_JacO's Avatar
CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,954
Moving this to news, as that's where we tend to like hardlinked external sources such as other website articles and so on.
And yes, agreed, it's a brilliant article that is being praised and validated by many clued people.
__________________
"As an online CG discussion grows longer, the probability of the topic being shifted to subsidies approaches 1"

Free Maya Nodes
 
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
DuttyFoot
Expert
 
DuttyFoot's Avatar
stephen curah
USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,417
nice article, thanks for sharing
__________________
Heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept were toiling upwards in the night.
 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
majstorovich
humanware
portfolio
Mario Majstorović
Zagreb, Croatia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
 
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Mic_Ma
lightfooted rambling-man
 
Mic_Ma's Avatar
Murkus
Tiddelduddledee
Vatican City State (Holy See)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 825
Somebody needs to edit this article. It's abinimobilabley written.
__________________
Homo Effectus
 
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
DimeS
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 157
Intentional irony, I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic_Ma
Somebody needs to edit this article. It's abinimobilabley written.
 
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X
 
ThE_JacO's Avatar
CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic_Ma
Somebody needs to edit this article. It's abinimobilabley written.

Potential post of the year
__________________
"As an online CG discussion grows longer, the probability of the topic being shifted to subsidies approaches 1"

Free Maya Nodes
 
Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
ianfailes
Frequenter
portfolio
Ian Failes
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 111
And Part 2 is now up, with details on the top renderers in vfx and animation industries:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the...ndering-part-2/
 
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Ballo
Lord of the posts
 
Ballo's Avatar
portfolio
Joe Tuscany
Character Development/Senior Character Modeler
United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 744

Excellent for any kind of CG specialist dude.
__________________
www.josemlazaro.com
 
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!
 
InfernalDarkness's Avatar
portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,586
Given modern leaps in physics directly, and the quality of the two documents presented here, it's very doubtful any valuable progress will be made in the rendering world. We see a lot of refining, and every once in awhile a new system or mechanism introduced, but considering these people don't even understand or know what a photon is yet it's difficult to place much faith in their entirely ad hoc solutions. Monte Carlo sampling? Really? It's the last stand of poor mathematics, and among other preposterous flaws (even in Maxwell's actual math) explain the massive inefficiencies in current rendering technology. It's like they make it harder than it really is, simply to prove that they can. Just like modern physics. :(


Edit: Also, the mental ray section was horrifically outdated and biased, if not outright bullshit.
__________________
Commodore 64 @ 1MHz
64KB RAM
1541 Floppy Drive


"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
RebelPixel
PRO
portfolio
Mac
Milan, Italy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
Given modern leaps in physics directly, and the quality of the two documents presented here, it's very doubtful any valuable progress will be made in the rendering world. We see a lot of refining, and every once in awhile a new system or mechanism introduced, but considering these people don't even understand or know what a photon is yet it's difficult to place much faith in their entirely ad hoc solutions. Monte Carlo sampling? Really? It's the last stand of poor mathematics, and among other preposterous flaws (even in Maxwell's actual math) explain the massive inefficiencies in current rendering technology. It's like they make it harder than it really is, simply to prove that they can. Just like modern physics. :(


Edit: Also, the mental ray section was horrifically outdated and biased, if not outright bullshit.


I found the Mental Ray section quite accurate, and he even been generous for the total shame that render engine is. In part due to a disastrous AD integration, in part due to a disaster development from Nvidia that is caring only about iRay and selling their cards with it.
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Kzin
Expert
 
Kzin's Avatar
portfolio
Holger Tesch
Shading/Lighting Artist
Germany
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 752
Send a message via ICQ to Kzin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPixel
I found the Mental Ray section quite accurate, and he even been generous for the total shame that render engine is. In part due to a disastrous AD integration, in part due to a disaster development from Nvidia that is caring only about iRay and selling their cards with it.


i wish users like you would had use their energy to write some mails to ad to change the whole situation. the users failed here completely over the years because they went to the inet foren to write how bad all things are going instead of writing some contructive critique mails to ad.

it would be more interesting which people they interviewed from nvidiaARC on this topic because what you find in the article is a bit, lets say, strange and also false in terms of mr and iray (or perhaps its 2 years old?)
 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
RickToxik
Expert
 
RickToxik's Avatar
portfolio
Eric Mc Guire
Canada
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzin
i wish users like you would had use their energy to write some mails to ad to change the whole situation. the users failed here completely over the years because they went to the inet foren to write how bad all things are going instead of writing some contructive critique mails to ad.


I did for some time try to give feedback to mental ray people and tried to help in testing the mila library. But the fact is that they already know every single thing that is wrong or needs improvement in mental ray. I think they just need the time to rewrite the whole renderer because they cannot start from what nvidia bought (my personal opinion).

When the article talks about mental ray in terms of iray, it is because Nvidia is really heading towards gpu rendering, as you would guess. I thought the article was quite accurate, very interesting and my coworkers all liked it.

I do not agree with Infernal Darkness that nothing really new is happening in the renderers' world. Octane is totally awesome, and all the major renderers have evolved to a point where they all represent a viable choice for production. And those like octane that focus on gpu will surpass the others I think, because gpu evolve 10x faster than cpus.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.