Cartoon Brew:Once and For All, Al Pacino Proves the Worthlessness of Celebrity Voice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Subconciously it probably does...

Theres a reason Jon Hamms smooth voice is behind lexus commercials now.

We a creatures created from a culture. If you hear the voice of morgan freeman in a movie you kinda get more juice because his voice is connected to a lot stuff in the modern brain. Like it or not. Subconsciously that famous persons voice probably does a little more and probably hurts in other areas.

Just saying it doesn't matter is kinda quick.

In fact, if you grew up watching pacino movies and bratt movies you will probably have a pretty significant idea in your head when you hear their voices.

Pacino especially... Scarface, hoooahhhhh, he has permeated american culture pretty hardcore. The experience of his voice does do something different.

Honestly the real injustice is going with a celebrity over a voice actor replacement. I havent seen the movie but Bratt is usually a good guy with a soothing voice....typically not a villian

07 July 2013
This article and some of the reader's comments are confusing. Cartoon Brew espouses Brad Bird's view that animated movies are not a genre but an art form. Saying that Celebrity Voices are worthless is same as making the blanket statement that Celebrity Actors in live action movies are worthless. Casting does make a difference. Poorly written articles such as this do a disservice to everyone who works in the industry.

*On a side note, I have to call out the author of this Cartoon Brew article whose work I've read over the past few years. Many of his arguments are not well thought out. CartoonBrew publishes a handful of these (horrible) opinion pieces each year and they all come from the same guy.

07 July 2013
I can think of a list of big"ish" name actors who have enhanced or saved the animated films they were in. Liam Neeson, John Lithgow, Christina Applegate, Jason Lee, Elizabeth Heartman, robert Guillaume, Justin Long., and even Drain Johnston..

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by doghat: I can think of a list of big"ish" name actors who have enhanced or saved the animated films they were in. Liam Neeson, John Lithgow, Christina Applegate, Jason Lee, Elizabeth Heartman, robert Guillaume, Justin Long., and even Drain Johnston..

I can honestly say, I never knew any of those actors were in any animated film.

EDIT:
I take that back...Jason Lee I think was in 'Incredibles' right? About the only one that stood out.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by rhinton: I can honestly say, I never knew any of those actors were in any animated film.

I agree I think 'save' is a bit overzealous because
a) I can't name any of the films those folks were in
b) I can't be bothered to check either

Maybe i saw them maybe didn't. If i did it was because my son was interested in the film. Thats the ONLY reason. He's almost 6 and knows 'didly squat' about celebrities. Its only about film appeal via subject matter. Thats it thats all.

But I will mention that i enjoyed Mr Depp as 'Rango' however.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: 'didly squat' about celebrities.

I can't stop laughing at this. Awesome and so true.

I too liked 'Rango', and I forgot about it till now. I don't think it was Depp that really sold it for me, it was mostly because I'm a fan of such animated films.

Just the other day I was speaking to someone about 'Monsters University' and I stated, "I hate Billy Crystal. I only like him as Mike Wazowski and that's it."

07 July 2013
Speaking of Incredibles. Samual Jackson. Who can forget "Honey, where's my super suit?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqk2qqhunp4

07 July 2013
Here's one nobody will remember. Robert Pacardo as Meg Mucklebones. Ok, not quite an animated character.

07 July 2013
Too bad that voice actors get little real recognition in the US press compared to live action stars. In the radio drama era radio had its own stars separate from movies, though some were eventually able to transition to successful television careers. Live action isn't just about delivering lines, the actor has to look and move in a way that adds weight to that dialogue. Voice acting is much more like radio acting, as the performers don't even have sets or costumes to draw inspiration from. Billy West for example should be a household name, but I bet there are millions of people who have heard him voice multiple characters and wouldn't recognize his name if they saw it.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by rhinton: Just the other day I was speaking to someone about 'Monsters University' and I stated, "I hate Billy Crystal. I only like him as Mike Wazowski and that's it."

I liked him best as Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle after the guy always hurting himself on SNL.

07 July 2013
People may not know the faces (for obvious reasons) but they certainly know the voices, and a lot of people can probably put a name to them. You could probably rattle half a dozen off the top of your head...

Rob Paulson
Nancy cartwrite
EE Daily
Daws Butler
Corey Burton
Tress Macneille
Hank Azeria
Tim Curry
Frank Oz
Kath Soucie
Sterlin Holloway
Dan Castellaneta
Frank Welker
and of course Mel Blanc

Ah, heck, just found out Mark Hamill was Invader Zim

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by doghat: Ah, heck, just found out Mark Hamill was Invader Zim
That's a great list, but Mark Hamill isn't Invader Zim, it's Richard Steven Horvitz. He *is* in every other animated show ever though!

07 July 2013
Yes you are right. It sounded suspicious when I read it, and if I just bothered to remember Invader Zim, and would have remembered that he was Daggett.

and the names just keep popping into my head... Not sure how I could forget
Jim Cummnigs who does ever other other voice out there.
Dee Bredely Baker
Jim Polvenmire and Swampy Marsh, etc etc.

At least they're well known among those who care.

07 July 2013
Bill Nighy is probably the only 'big name' actor who gets me excited as a voice actor. He consistently makes his characters nuanced, and I think would be very difficult to replace.

Also, certain actors have a very large part in creating their characters. Mike and Sully would have been VERY different with different actors. Same for Gru.

07 July 2013
Considering that all those animated shows really are dubbed in all sorts of languages, I really don't see the added value of a well known actor to begin with if you don't see their face. Any talented voice actor can do the work.

I just saw Monster U , with two great "unknown voice over artists" doing it in French. The only big names in the french voice cast are for secondary characters.

Gru? It's a well known comedian here also, and he's doing it just as well as Steve Carell while not being Steve Carell... Same for almost every other animated characters, with the single exception of "Donkey" in Shrek, where its a self-caricature of Eddie Murphy, so it kinds of have to sound like Murphy (though once again a talented voice artist can talk just like Eddy Murphy).

Last edited by EricM : 07 July 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Thread Closed share thread