Laika's The BoxTrolls - Theatrical Teaser

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 07 July 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Artbot: Also, I've seen it mentioned before that ParaNorman had a gay character in it. Who was it? Not being judgmental, just wondering which character they are referring to, or what it was about a character that made people assume he/she was gay. It was pretty far from obvious, at least to me, since I didn't notice at all.

The character Mitch (the jock guy) was quite unambiguously revealed to be gay at the end of the film - I was really surprised at that, actually. I think it's quite possibly the first time we've seen a gay character in a regular mainstream animated film. I particularly liked the fact that he was revealed to be gay in a very quick comment that drew no particular attention to his homosexuality as being bizarre - in other words, his sexuality was totally accepted in the film's world, and no additional attention was drawn to it. He was simply gay, end of story, no need to comment on it further. I liked that, because they could so easily have made a big deal out of it, thereby actually singling him out. The way they did it sends a positive message very easily and without fuss.

I think it's great to see such progressive attitudes in animation, and I hope to see more of it.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
Originally Posted by leigh: The character Mitch (the jock guy) was quite unambiguously revealed to be gay at the end of the film - I was really surprised at that, actually. I think it's quite possibly the first time we've seen a gay character in a regular mainstream animated film. I particularly liked the fact that he was revealed to be gay in a very quick comment that drew no particular attention to his homosexuality as being bizarre - in other words, his sexuality was totally accepted in the film's world, and no additional attention was drawn to it. He was simply gay, end of story, no need to comment on it further. I liked that, because they could so easily have made a big deal out of it, thereby actually singling him out. The way they did it sends a positive message very easily and without fuss.

I think it's great to see such progressive attitudes in animation, and I hope to see more of it.

Hmm, totally missed that line or scene. Must have run to the bathroom or something. I found the movie pretty mediocre and had to work to stay engaged while watching it, so maybe that had something to do with it. But good for them!

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Talking

Sorry for the late response - I was referring to the "blocked in your region due to copyright cartel" bull on YouTube. I don't use Quicktime as it is poorly coded crashware. I couldn't care less if the characters had a dildo and a tentacle monster for parents (although that might not be very family friendly) ;p

I was whining about the inability to actually watch the trailer, due to incompetent morons in charge of marketing blocking it in certain regions.

Old 07 July 2013   #19
Originally Posted by phexitol: Sorry for the late response - I was referring to the "blocked in your region due to copyright cartel" bull on YouTube. I don't use Quicktime as it is poorly coded crashware. I couldn't care less if the characters had a dildo and a tentacle monster for parents (although that might not be very family friendly) ;p

I was whining about the inability to actually watch the trailer, due to incompetent morons in charge of marketing blocking it in certain regions.

Aaaaah. Yeah region blocking a trailer is pretty bizarre.

I'm surprised at your stance on QuickTime though. It's pretty much an industry standard; in fact, I think it's been the format used for dailies in every studio I've ever worked at.

Old 07 July 2013   #20
My experience with Quicktime is that it loves to:
Take over file associations, either despite being told not to, or without even asking.
Crash my browser as its way of letting me know it needs to be upgraded.

I've given it several chances, and it has consistently been a pain to deal with. Not to mention the absolute complete lack of features in the Quicktime player in a world where there are so many free video players with complete feature sets.

Back on topic, it actually looks like something I would watch and enjoy.

Old 07 July 2013   #21
Quote: QuickTime though. It's pretty much an industry standard; in fact, I think it's been the format used for dailies in every studio I've ever worked at.

Completely OT, but on Windows at least the gamma is very different than VLC, Windows media player etc... and the sound is usually not perfectly in sinc. I do quite a few music clips where having the cut right on the beat (or just before) is important, and with QT I always have a slight difference, making the edit look worse than it is. No problem in VLC or Media player. This plus the fact that it takes indeed much longer to open and is nagging you to take over all your files as default player all the time.

Old 07 July 2013   #22
Originally Posted by phexitol: My experience with Quicktime is that it loves to:
Take over file associations, either despite being told not to, or without even asking.

Really, in this day and age?

As ex-hobbyist windows programmer I still remember two multimedia software (I think both of them were mp3 players), that if I remember correctly, actually create their own 'process' (in the age where in order to install a software, you need admin right, Program Files directory and all) which actually change the file association (and therefore the icon representing mp3 files) EVERY FIVE SECONDS!

It was brought to Windows developer after someone actually saw mp3 having its icon changed every 5 second to represent the mp3 players. Cannot remember the rest of the story though...tried google but the search was too generic.

On the topic, I loved ParaNorman and I have no problem with Mitch.

Old 07 July 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Artbot: That's just an un-natural abomination! I mean, boxes? WTF?

Seriously...boxes?

Its those whimsical British again.
More info from the story the film is based on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Be_Monsters!

I think it should be cute!

Old 07 July 2013   #24
Man, the animation in that trailer is so slick, it's ridiculous. And nice to see some specially made footage to promote a film rather than a give-away-the-best-jokes trailer cut to some hip-hop.

Old 07 July 2013   #25
After all the speculation about homophobia, I had to laugh out loud when phexitol clarified what his actual issue was. Regarding region-locking, the YouTube page does include this right below the video:

Quote: Trailer not working in your country? Watch here: http://bit.ly/15dJyiy

It'd be ideal not to have any hoops to jump through, but if you dislike Quicktime (I agree it's fine on a Mac, but cumbersome on Windows), at least there are other options.

Regarding gay characters in animated features, don't forget these:

All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989) had King Gator, a drag queen who had his own song and played a pivotal role in stopping the film's villain. I understand not all drag queens are gay, but they're nonetheless associated with the LGBT community.

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (1999) had Satan, Saddam, and Big Gay Al (and also Mr. Garrison, though he was closeted until later in the TV show). Granted these characters are definitely not PC, but I wouldn't say they're homophobic, either... at least, no more so than characters like Dr. Frank-N-Furter from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The Simpsons Movie (2007) had an appearance or two by Waylon Smithers--I don't recall him playing any important role in the film, but still he's been established as a gay character, and he was there.

BACK ON TOPIC: The trailer looks great! It's nice to see Laika keeping stop motion alive in wide-release features.

Old 07 July 2013   #26
so no one has seen Ronal the Babarian ?

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 07 July 2013   #27
Originally Posted by derOesi: so no one has seen Ronal the Babarian ?

Looks funny! Here's an actual trailer you guys could watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32sj97-DZf0

My Site

Old 07 July 2013   #28
Audio for baby = Incredibles!

Immediately noticed that the audio track for the toddler was swiped from Jack-Jack of the Incredibles. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure.

Old 07 July 2013   #29
I've admired Laika for always choosing stories that are not run of the mill. And they have a unique visual style too. This one looks great and will definitely watch it.

Old 03 March 2014   #30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-9CIe8cfA

I've just discover this one ! gosh those Laika guys are killing me !
Please watch in HD ...

reply share thread