Pixar Chief: Studio To Scale Back Sequels, Aim For One Original Film A Year

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Pixar Chief: Studio To Scale Back Sequels, Aim For One Original Film A Year

Quote:
" Pixar Animation Studios President Ed Catmull tells BuzzFeed that, moving forward, the animation studio plans to significantly scale back its production of sequels.
The news will likely come as a relief to the Pixar faithful, who have not been shy about concerns that the studio had become too eager to make sequels (or prequels) of its previous films at the expense of its legacy of acclaimed original movies.

"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/p...for-one-origina
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I'm glad someone has enough faith in their internal talent to create new stories

Old 06 June 2013   #3
This, is excellent news.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
sounds like good news to me

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Here's what Pixar has on its upcoming slate according to the sleuthing done by Cartoon Brew and Slashfilm:

Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur – May 30, 2014
Pixar’s Inside Out – June 15, 2015
Pixar’s Finding Dory – November 25, 2015
Lee Unkrich’s Untitled “Day of the Dead” project – June 17, 2016
Pixar Untitled Animation – June 16, 2017
Pixar Untitled Animation – November 22, 2017
Pixar Untitled Animation – June 15, 2018

source: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/d...ears-83528.html

2015 and 2017 will be interesting years -- or the boring ones, depending on your stance regarding sequels. According to BuzzFeed:
Originally Posted by BuzzFeed: It’s part of what Catmull says is a strategy to release “one and a half” films a year. “We’re going to have an original film every year, then every other year have a sequel to something,” he says. “That’s the rough idea.”

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Fantastic news! At least a step back from Disney's "milk it dry" approach.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by VisCorbel: Fantastic news! At least a step back from Disney's "milk it dry" approach.

Don't get me wrong, I give flak to Disney for a lot of things, like a lot of people seem to be doing these days, but let's not let that flak spread to where it is completely unjustified.

2 features involving Winnie the Pooh and a sequel to Fantasia, if I'm not mistaken. Disney might be a bit crazy with their direct-to-video stuff - even then, there was an announcement earlier this year about deciding to abandon those altogether. They still have a reputable 50+ features over the course of their expansive history, with quite a bit of intellectual property of their own.

So what exactly are you referring to?

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Originally Posted by ChocoBob: Don't get me wrong, I give flak to Disney for a lot of things, like a lot of people seem to be doing these days, but let's not let that flak spread to where it is completely unjustified.

2 features involving Winnie the Pooh and a sequel to Fantasia, if I'm not mistaken. Disney might be a bit crazy with their direct-to-video stuff - even then, there was an announcement earlier this year about deciding to abandon those altogether. They still have a reputable 50+ features over the course of their expansive history, with quite a bit of intellectual property of their own.

So what exactly are you referring to?

I don't want to jump into the dirt here but, direct to video or not, maybe he was referring to the Lion king sequels, or the sequels of Peter Pan, Cinderella, The little mermaid, the Rescuers, Jungle book, Mulan, Aladin, Lilo & Stitch, Hercules, etc... just name a few.

Anyway, I am getting sick of the lack of creativity coming out of the film industry as of late, not just the animation stuff, but everything is just a sequel of another successful story, and too much over the top CG scenes that are replacing the true art of story telling.

Maybe they got too caught up in their IP rights and so much covering too many areas that now they find it hard to make anything interesting without getting sued by someone else who owned the rights to having a similar fish bowl in a scene. It is getting beyond a joke really.

It is good news though, that they (Pixar) are at least trying to go back to their roots and keep pushing the envelope on originality and talented story telling.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Good news indeed.

To be fair to Disney, they have been creating some great content the last few years. Wreck-It-Ralph is going to be a favorite of mine for a long time.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #10
This couldn't be better news! sounds almost too good to be true

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Good news indeed.

To be fair to Disney, they have been creating some great content the last few years. Wreck-It-Ralph is going to be a favorite of mine for a long time.

I second that.

Tangled... Whoever is responsible of transfering any concept of Rapunzel into 3D is legend. First time ever I thought a 3d character is soo beautiful. Not a big fan of her hair, but her face is very nicely done. Oh, and great story too :P Starting to love Disney again. I bet mainly because John is there.

Old 07 July 2013   #12
Originally Posted by f3rry: I second that.

Tangled... Whoever is responsible of transfering any concept of Rapunzel into 3D is legend. First time ever I thought a 3d character is soo beautiful. Not a big fan of her hair, but her face is very nicely done. Oh, and great story too :P Starting to love Disney again. I bet mainly because John is there.

I third that about Wreck It Ralph. I have a few comment, but I guess its OK.

Less than ParaNorman though.

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Why do I feel like I'm back at Lucasarts in 1995 and they are telling us that they are planning to make fewer Star Wars games and rely more on the original titles LEC became famous for?

(Note: This actually happened)

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Actually iam glad that one company that is one of the studios you would call in one sentence with Ghibli and a couple of others when it came to artistic inetgritiy, realises this quickly and without a movie doing badly at the box office, that they are not doing what made them famous. Getting rid of the big thing in the industry and relying on a far higher risk business that will let them keep their integrity...kudos. And i mean neither cars 2 nor 3 did badly and MU doesn't break any records but doesn't seem to be tanking either).

Old 07 July 2013   #15
Originally Posted by grafixsuz: I don't want to jump into the dirt here but, direct to video or not, maybe he was referring to the Lion king sequels, or the sequels of Peter Pan, Cinderella, The little mermaid, the Rescuers, Jungle book, Mulan, Aladin, Lilo & Stitch, Hercules, etc... just name a few.

Probably the DisneyToon stuff. And their mandate was changed back in 2007
according to this. Ed involved here too.

So its looking good everywhere at Disney.

Now maybe we should put Ed in charge of the rest of Hollywood.

Thread Closed share thread