Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

i love the free updates and great new features, but I really want 64 bit already. I will pay for 64 bit just to not have to do all these work-arounds to keep zbrush from crashing when it has to deal with huge polys on a single object.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
i love the free updates and great new features, but I really want 64 bit already. I will pay for 64 bit just to not have to do all these work-arounds to keep zbrush from crashing when it has to deal with huge polys on a single object.
I realise that everyone's working methods and approaches are different but what sort of polycounts are you dealing with that floor the current versions of ZB?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDimension
How are people finding ZRemesher compared to 3D-Coat’s auto-retopo? Better results straight out of the box on organic models?
I haven't used the latest version of 3DCoat but ZRemesher is much faster and produces similar if not better results than the previous version I used.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #34
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
I realise that everyone's working methods and approaches are different but what sort of polycounts are you dealing with that floor the current versions of ZB?

As low as you want really. Just think decimation master quality and it will give you an idea of how low you can go and still have a mesh in very good order.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ

Nothing crazy high. I swear 4R4 was more stable. It's just weird that I can be working for awhile with a 8 million poly mesh, then decimate it to something lower res, work on it some more, then subdivide it and CRASH

if I relaunch zbrush and load up the saved decimated model, it subdivides no problem

I'm now in the habit of decimating, saving, closing Zbrush, reloading the model. At least zbrush doesn't reliably crash this way. It's just annoying as all hell.

Last edited by sentry66 : 06-28-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #36
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
I haven't used the latest version of 3DCoat but ZRemesher is much faster and produces similar if not better results than the previous version I used.

I have to do more tests but by default Zremesher seems to give a much much cleaner mesh by default compared to 3dcoat. I am really amazed at how usable and clean the geometry it creates is.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Nothing crazy high. I swear 4R4 was more stable. It's just weird that I can be working for awhile with a 8 million poly mesh, then decimate it to something lower res, work on it some more, then subdivide it and CRASH

if I relaunch zbrush and load up the saved decimated model, it subdivides no problem

I'm now in the habit of decimating, saving, closing Zbrush, reloading the model. At least zbrush doesn't reliably crash this way. It's just annoying as all hell.

I noticed something recently I hadn't seen before. I have a model that's 9M polys, it's file size is ~80MB. When I'm working and saving, I see that it will balloon up to 250-300MB during the session. Once ZB is closed the file size does go back to normal ~80MB. I assume its storing the unlimited undo levels and creating auto recover-points during a session. Since ZB can now recover your model from a crash. Perhaps the ballooning file sizes are causing you problems?

I don't see how it would, but something to consider.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #38
marcuso
infinitesimal

Marcus Ottosson
London, United Kingdom

Quote:

I'm no Zbrush wiz, but to Decimate and then Subdivide.. Is that common? I thought the topology given by the decimator was quite triangular and not very subdivision-friendly.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuso
I'm no Zbrush wiz, but to Decimate and then Subdivide.. Is that common?
No, decimation is usually the last thing you'd do to a model before export. Zbrush is much better with tris than it used to me but working with a messy mesh will definitely give you lots of headaches.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
No, decimation is usually the last thing you'd do to a model before export. Zbrush is much better with tris than it used to me but working with a messy mesh will definitely give you lots of headaches.

It's also good to run decimate before ZRemesh. Saves a bit of time, and makes it less likely to crash.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #41
simple_impulse
Markku Myllymäki
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Some of the stuff is a pretty big deal for a minor release. Trims instead of clipping is bound to be the single most welcome for hard surface they could have done.
If it'll be crappy weather this weekend I know what I'll be doing.

ThE_JacO, I must wonder your attitude. First you kicked a discussion about 3D Coat's major release to Press Releases and now you're discussing yourself about point release of ZBrush in CG News yourself?

As a user of both software, I must question this policy change. I admit that this is great addition to ZBrush, but why stomp on little guys then?

Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #42
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

The Trim brushes are excellent. They just work, no aggravation or issues so far.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_impulse
ThE_JacO, I must wonder your attitude. First you kicked a discussion about 3D Coat's major release to Press Releases and now you're discussing yourself about point release of ZBrush in CG News yourself?

As a user of both software, I must question this policy change. I admit that this is great addition to ZBrush, but why stomp on little guys then?
The 3DCoat post was an actual copy of the Press Release. This was just me linking to the announcement page.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #44
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_impulse

Huh?
3Dcoat had had a post a month for 3 months straight about that release at that point. When was the last time you Saw a Pixologic release in news?
The post was also simply moved to press release, not deleted, not locked, just moved to the right forum.

Besides, I'm not allowed to post in threads now? Seriously guys...
You read waaaay too much in moderation actions and why they are taken.

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 06-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #45
ice-boy
Expert
b
matrix
sl, Austria

i can see now Marvelous Designer users buying zbrush only for retopo.

someone needs to show a marvelous designer production model with zremesher.

Last edited by ice-boy : 06-29-2013 at 06:28 PM.

reply share thread