ZBrush 4r6

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: Zremesher - just with default settings - is witchcraft... Actual witchcraft.

I know! It's amazing how intelligent it is. And if you start tweaking by painting in dense areas or adding guide lines...

Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: The most important feature is that they've finally fixed the UV smoothing issues.
Oh really! I'll need to check that out. I didn't register at first what the trim-curve brush was. Now that I understand what it does, oh man that's good.

Edit:
Also, no need to delay on upgrading if you hated the upgrade process in the past. If you're up-to-date the new autoupdate works like a charm.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 06 June 2013 at 03:43 PM.

06 June 2013
Really cool. I was really hoping all of this would just be packaged into a v5 with 64bit near Siggraph. As always they are always putting out great stuff though. I just wonder if they are going to stop doing free updates for version 5? The cost of Zbrush is going up $100 in a month, so if you get in now before it goes up, it might be a little disappointing if you have to pay for a v5 upgrade when they have been free for so long.

www.Nix3d.com

06 June 2013
Quote: I can't think of any other company who consitently innovate like this.

I totally agree!

06 June 2013
holly crap, they are going too fast. I'm still in 4R4! Any guess for final zbrush5 release date?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by GatorNic: Really cool. I was really hoping all of this would just be packaged into a v5 with 64bit near Siggraph. As always they are always putting out great stuff though. I just wonder if they are going to stop doing free updates for version 5? The cost of Zbrush is going up $100 in a month, so if you get in now before it goes up, it might be a little disappointing if you have to pay for a v5 upgrade when they have been free for so long.

If you prefer a product that has a predefined costing per year you can always opt for Mudbox and it's £105 plus vat subscription, at least you know what you are being billed per year...all this free stuff from pixologic can be quite confusing for your average artist who is used to being tapped for cash every year l

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: The most important feature is that they've finally fixed the UV smoothing issues.

Yes!

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

06 June 2013
I did a double take when I first ran Zremesher. It works so good.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Oh really! I'll need to check that out.

FYI:

When you import something into Zbrush and subdivide it using smoothUV, the base level 1 UVs get distorted. The lower resolution your base mesh is, the more extreme the distortion will be. Storing a morph target doesn't help either.

Now if your workflow is completely serial then it's not a problem, use the morph target to generate displacement maps; and export the morph target and use it as your base model in your 3D application.
However if there are some tight deadlines and you need to parallelize as much as you can, then the riggers will start to work with the original mesh, and the texture painting scene is set up with that version as well. So when you apply your displacements, there'll be a slight mis-alignment.

And if you have a standard human base mesh and want to re-use it for new characters, then it's even more fun. Especially if you start the reprojection with not the original mesh, but the messed up one - you get yet another level of distortion. Then you try to re-use textures painted with the original UVs... even more fun.

So this was the most significant fix for serious production IMHO. No wonder MPC was collaborating with Pixologic on the issue.

06 June 2013
^ Yes, it's really good to be seeing these simple yet important production-minded fixes happening in addition to new breakthroughs.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Last edited by RockinAkin : 06 June 2013 at 09:46 PM.

06 June 2013

Excellent news! I hope a better perspective camera and subtool organization is next. Cannot wait to get home and throw afew models at the new retopo tools.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Sil3: Even if so (which I really doubt) I wouldn't be even slightly pissed to be honest. Their track record regarding updating/adding features is now legendary... can you imagine if they where owned by AD... we would be in ZBrush 13 by now.

Yeh with a feature set of Zbrush 2.

06 June 2013
I remember seeing ZBrush at SIGGRAPH in, I think, 2000 (it was in New Orleans). At the time it was just this weird 2.5D illustration program and some of the example images looked horrific ... I remember thinking "man, that's just going to go the way of Bryce within 5 years".

I'm glad I was wrong

Last edited by balistic : 06 June 2013 at 12:29 AM.

06 June 2013
Has anyone tried ZRemesher on a non-organic surface?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by dellis: Has anyone tried ZRemesher on a non-organic surface?

Yes. You'll want to use guide curves, as it doesn't seem to like hard edges.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by dellis: Has anyone tried ZRemesher on a non-organic surface?

Doesn’t work so well with default settings. Gonna try a few techniques to see if I can get something decent.

How are people finding ZRemesher compared to 3D-Coat’s auto-retopo? Better results straight out of the box on organic models?

reply share thread