MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

the Great Gatsby - Chris Godfrey/Animal Logic breakdown

Chris' comment to the video pretty much says all there is to say. I don't think people are quite aware of how many shots and to what extent the reconstructions and virtual sets/set extensions got

http://vimeo.com/68451324

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

Very impressive!

There were a few sequences that stood out to me as 'too CG' when I first saw the film. For example, the scene where Daisy talks to Gatsby while behind the tree, about running away & leaving everything behind. The Background and comp looked a bit fake.

But then I saw this reel. It's hard to appreciate the VFX in the film without it, because so many set extensions in this Reel are a complete surprise. Very nuts!

I also really liked the end credits sequence. It was a really nice use of Stereo3D and it looked GREAT.

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Old 06-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
gauranga108
Lord of the posts
portfolio
jake mr
makaha, US

Wow the fx house did an amazing job. What a nightmare to clean up such poorly planned shots.

Most of those green screen set ups were a joke yeah?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Huh? Not entirely sure where that's coming from.
Godfrey is actually an experienced and respected supe, and most of those shoots were fairly standard setups/planning for that kind of sequence, not poorly executed for sure.

You only need so much green to pull a key before rotoing or overlaying the replacement in becomes more convenient, it's not like every extension needs a full green key for everything that isn't foreground plate, beside the impossibility of such a setup when you're replacing an entire city and the camera pulls out so wide

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

Great work, the vegetation looked great how was that built?

Renderman?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

PRman with a good deal of the (then) new plausible shaders stuff.
Not sure about the vegetation, I'd guess a mix of library and some hand crafted, but I was on another project while that was going.
Biggest stuff in there AFAIK is the digital NY, some pull outs go from a window view to all of Manhattan and spare change in one seamless move. I'm sure those were fun to render

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Impressive .Theres some very complex shots there, especially that pull out to reveal the high line.

b

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
DDS
Dominance war = no rules

portfolio
Albert Feliu Gomis
character lead
Rocksteady
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DDS
seriously guys, WOW! Great work.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
You only need so much green to pull a key before rotoing or overlaying the replacement in becomes more convenient, it's not like every extension needs a full green key for everything that isn't foreground plate, beside the impossibility of such a setup when you're replacing an entire city and the camera pulls out so wide

Yeah, it's been a while since I saw a green come in with people in FG that didn't require at least some pass of roto.

Come to think of it, that's kinda depressing.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Why? The point of green screen is to be cheaper and/or better quality than roto, nothing else.
If a mix of photography, cheap roto and settings make it simpler or better to edge roto than to key the green then you don't need greenscreen. Simple as that.

Set time and shot complexity reduction for a green screen are very expensive, and if you have even just a little bit of spill, or worse reflection pick, pulling a key will require a much twitchier and painful roto and a loss of quality. Might as well roto right away.

It's not the 80s or the 90s anymore when roto was between impossible and really time consuming, modern tools, CPU speed, edge detection and feathering algorithms make it easier every day. In the future most likely depth and set data, either captured or reconstructed from witnesses, will make it even less prominent (green screen), and it's only a good thing

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

and seconded - some beautiful work
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 06-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

Quote:
It's not the 80s or the 90s anymore when roto was between impossible and really time consuming, modern tools, CPU speed, edge detection and feathering algorithms make it easier every day. In the future most likely depth and set data, either captured or reconstructed from witnesses, will make it even less prominent (green screen), and it's only a good thing

Well I suppose that's a positive way to look at it haha.

But you know it's still lovely when you can pull that perfect key. One of those little happy moments in the life of a vfx artist

Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I know what you mean, and a perfect one click key is still a mark of skill in a good supe that knows his/her photography.
I just see it too often used as a judging standard for the set work, often by people who don't really know whether the supe even had time to set up, or if it was even possible to adjust the lighting to get an even and untinted shade within all the constraints of that sequence/shot.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

Quote:
I just see it too often used as a judging standard for the set work, often by people who don't really know whether the supe even had time to set up, or if it was even possible to adjust the lighting to get an even and untinted shade within all the constraints of that sequence/shot.

Yeah. And I think really the heart of the matter is about cost. Recently on a commercial project we did a quick comparison of costs for 4 man days extra roto (junior) versus rough cost estimation for extra lights, crew and better cloth which would have been required for a (possibly) clean key. The cheaper option turned out to be the roto work in this case which actually surprised me.

It was an interesting insight gleaned only because in this case we were handling both production and post which is far from the norm. I think there's a lot of opportunity when viewing both sets of numbers to really optimise these sort of problems to get the most cost effective solutions. And it changes over time too, as you said roto is a lot easier these days, as it match moving and a bunch of other tasks.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
ndeboar
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Nick Deboar
Lighting TD
AU

Believe it or not, a lot of the vegetation was Maya Paint fx. That said, rendering that stuff was probably one of the hardest parts.

Thread Closed share thread