pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellsey

So even though Autodesk is not listed as an exhibitor they will have a 'presence' at the following booths...

basically they have "seeded" themselves all over the show floor!

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 06-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Bellsey
Scout
portfolio
Graham Bell
CGI Head of Modelling
Burrows
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Isn't that just confirmation they won't have their own booth this year but rather the user event and presence at some partners'?

Certainly looks that way.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellsey
Certainly looks that way.

Hello Autodesk!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

Siggraph started as a emerging technology conference where like-minded people could group together off local chapters <....has anyone gone or started a local group lately? I know I don't really bother anymore because its been sad > , then it turned into a mostly product show, Won't be that bad if it regrouped , shrunk, and got back to the roots of new and different. I like a good floor show as much as the rest of the world, but over the last 10 years, its over shadowed the group meetings, the community , the sense of new research and ideas.

Last edited by pipdixel : 06-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanduff
Siggraph is for those on the cutting edge of new technology in computer graphics. Maybe Autodesk was not INVITED.

Now that made me laugh ...A lot

Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

Actually this is probably the best way for the conference burn out and renew itself to the the way it was in the early 2000's. The same thing happened with E3. For a lot of years game companies stopped showing up at E3, but then all of the TV, smartphone, computer, electronic gadget and toy companies took over, expanded it's presence and now the game companies are back and it's exciting again. Pixologic is going to run wild, probably with ZB5, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of rendering solutions make some big news.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Missed last years but prior I found the papers and most talks I went too quite informative, and I subscribe to a membership in the local vancouver siggraph chapter as they run several good presentations each year. Most recent was both Scanline and DD talking about their work on Ironman 3. Nice to see how two different studios worked on the same movie and handling the consistency of their own versions of the same assets etc.

As for autodesk missing siggraph, they did a lot of marketing and presentations for their new line earlier this year, so perhaps they feel it wiser not to spend tonnes of money on designing a booth and flying everyone and having them stay in hotels and charging their dinner and travel costs etc etc simply to present what they've already demonstrated. A few representatives showing at partner booths and a user group is cost effective while still helping those partners in their presentations/demos and getting the word out about their products. I don't think companies need to always have a big booth every year at siggraph unless they choose to announce around the same time since Autodesks releases have recently gotten further away from the siggraph date it is less beneficial to them.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Syndicate
need a coffee

portfolio
JonB
Australia

Bought my personal copy of Zbrush at Siggraph Vancouver, as long as you are running conference specials, people will buy
I have to congratulate Pixologic on doing it the right way. Price a product at $500 (sale special), show industry demo's from feature films, and just make art with Zbrush = sold.

Autodesk had some fantastic talks, and I wish the timetables between AD/Pixologic/Tech paper talks was more forgiving, so its best to go as a group and take notes + share.

Still waiting for Autodesk to offer subscription model like Adobe cloud (as an option!). Would suit freelancers who like to change between disciplines and not work in one package all year

Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
jdollus
PRO
portfolio
John Dollus
Artist
Dallas, USA

Trade shows are increasingly irrelevant for this very reason:

From Autodesk site:
"For those who can't make it to Anaheim, you can follow us here on AREA, where we'll be posting content daily."

That said, don't forget Autodesk has their own trade show now. They have been slowly adding more of the media and entertainment courses/panels so perhaps they have just outgrown Siggraph.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

It also used to be that the products in the Autodesk arsenal would be attempting to do a release -or at least do an announce- to coincide with SIGGRAPH. Now Autodesk has those products release cycles insync with each other - but out-of-sync with SIGGRAPH...

Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
empi
PRO
maurice patel
Autodesk
Montreal, Canada

Just to confirm. Yes, Autodesk will not be exhibiting on the showfloor with its own booth this year. Instead we will be holding a user event (here). We will also be demoing on partner booths and will have engineers attending the actual conference. This year we changed our event strategy launching our 2014 releases virtually on AREA (here) as this is more effective at reaching our customers worldwide. Also, our product roadmaps no longer align to events like SIGGRAPH and as a publicly-traded company we are limited as to what we can talk about outside of our fiscal quarters. Without product news the effectiveness of exhibiting is limited and given that, we would prefer to invest in online and user events. Going forward you are far more likely to hear major product news online, as soon as its ready, and not necessarily at a tradeshow. It's no secret it has been a tough time for the industry in general. People are travelling less, and while tradeshows remain important we also have to make some tough choices as to where we invest and why. Many have asked us to bring back the user event and so this year we thought we would invest here instead.

maurice patel
entertainment industry manager
autodesk

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
ryanduff
Expert

portfolio
Ryan Duff
3d / Motion Graphics Artist
3DDuff LLC
Chicago, USA

Send a message via AIM to ryanduff
Thank you autodesk, for your responce.Communication to your costumers have been an issues in the past. This is the kind of issues that can paint you in a bad light if you dont come out and get infront if it. I would definitely be 'Tuning-in' to see what Autodesk has to show. a OpenGL 4.0 viewport wold be nice.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #28
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

having events covered via video for internet consumption is a great idea, no travelling but you still get to see the cool stuff.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #29
mitchgates
Veteran
Mitch Gates
cg supervisor
Encore Hollywood
Los Angeles, USA

For those who missed the show and Autodesk's User Event you can read my report here...

http://www.maxunderground.com/archi...e_of_naiad.html

Be sure to check out the comments section

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #30
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Wow that was gold. Thanks for posting that.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Thread Closed share thread