CONFIRMED: Microsoft To Drop Used Game Restrictions, Online Requirements

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by beestee: Some people love to hate Microsoft, and are capitalizing on the opportunity. Would you disagree with that sentiment?

Oh noes, here we go again with the childish "You people just hate MS and everything they do!" excuses. How is that relevant here?

I am only speaking for myself and no one else. I have a 360. I have no intention of buying an Xbone due to the "features" MS has decided to include. Your contention is that since I am not buying one, it should invalidate my reasons for not buying one? Maybe you should head on back to youtube - they are running short on stupid comments over there.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by beestee: You don't have to go any further than a few posts away to see that it is a measurable enough amount of consumers that it is relevant and absolutely not ridiculous.

I did not say that everyone voicing their opinion were not xbox users, and it is just as ridiculous to imply that everyone that has anything to say about it is an xbox user. Even to assume that everyone being vocal about it is a potential xbox user is a stretch.

Some people love to hate Microsoft, and are capitalizing on the opportunity. Would you disagree with that sentiment?

I totally agree with you. The gaming world is chock full of raving fanboys who will use any opportunity to blag on a rival manufacturer. You can be sure that a huge portion of the complaints/insults online were from Playstation owners who've no intention of ever buying an XBox.

I'm glad that Microsoft have listened to the complaints though. While I still think the price is too high and I'm not happy about the lack of backward compatibility, I'm still going to get one of the new XBoxes as I like the XBox exclusives (Halo, Gears of War, etc).

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Oh noes, here we go again with the childish "You people just hate MS and everything they do!" excuses. How is that relevant here?

It's relevant insofar as that regardless of what Microsoft do, there will be waves of complaints and whiners. You can't win.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by grrinc: This.

When the original Kinect was introduced, they implemented the whole spying BS. It flew under the radar because they knew no one reads the terms and conditions. And who would if you just got home and plugged it in either?

Microsoft have introduced this as media machine that phones home. Microsoft are also implicated in the recent PRISM scandal. They know full well that this kind of behaviour is best kept hidden away from the average user. And yet they still engage and profit from it.

Whatever your stance is on data harvesting, you have to admit that this is a shoddy and disrespectful way of treating your paying customers. I am sick of being told that if I have nothing to hide then what's the problem.

They'll never get another penny from me. They cannot be trusted. The machine is still over priced and sub par to PS4 too.

Que?

What, exactly, do you think Microsoft are spying on? Is the Kinect secretly scanning your living room and your face, or something?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: You can't win.

Hell, I'm not even playing this game! If both consoles disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a single tear. I just don't care that much.

06 June 2013
I know you wouldn't, heh. But the hordes of fanboys online? To them, this stuff is SERIOUS BUSINESS. My twin sister is a journalist in the gaming industry, and the fanboyism she deals with on a daily basis almost makes me weep for the state of humanity.

Even if Microsoft had announced a cheap, totally awesome new XBox with all the trimmings, they'd still have been slagged off. That's just how the gaming world is.

06 June 2013
As someone who games primarily on PC and a distant second on console. I find the whole DRM rage/rant thing mystifying and honestly a bit archaic. Once everything goes discless as it has for most everything in the PC gaming world, which it certainly will during the life cycle of the PS4 and Xbox One, do you really expect to be able to trade, sell, buy "Used" games? Can you currently do that on Steam, Origin, itunes, XboxLive etc etc... ? Nope. Should you be able to? No, I don't think so. Not without cutting a check to the originator of the IP IMHO anyway. Why should I make money on someone else's work just because I "bought" it, beat it then decided to give it to someone else? That only dilutes the value of the original IP. This isn't an antique coffee table that will gain value over time and always be as desirable or more so. It's a game that will loose half it's value in the first year. It's temporal value on a declining bell curve. Even music has more long term value.

Most software is already a one shot deal, why should games be different? If you don't like it don't buy it. If you think the price should be lower because you can't resell it, don't buy it or at least buy later once the price has come down. But acting like it's some crazy conspiracy to squeeze all your money out of you is shortsighted at best. For short term crowd pleasing we may be stunting the future of gaming. Cloud based gaming AI anyone? More and more "Software" will become a service and there will be benefits to this model believe it or not. Do you buy all your movies on VHS tapes at Blockbuster? Sometime the future looks scary, but it really isn't.

Oh boy, that was all so snarky. Sorry for that. I'm normally better behaved. I just thought there should an alternative rant to the classic console fan boy argument. CC welcome!

06 June 2013
That's a relief. I'm very happy to hear that the consumers rose up and drew their line in the sand!

It's worth mentioning that this change wouldn't have happened if the "vote with your dollars" philosophy had been adopted. These companies need to hear these complaints.

06 June 2013
inb4 fanboy...

oh too late - it's started.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by sconlogue:
If you don't like it don't buy it.

That applies to the console too you know? If MS are onto something so great why don't they take courage in their convictions and carry on as originally planned?

It is the consumers that have made the industry what it is ( very flippin' rich ) and Sony are wise to realise this.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by beestee: Some people love to hate Microsoft, and are capitalizing on the opportunity. Would you disagree with that sentiment?

Some obviously do and some don't own xboxes. But like I said previously, you can't put a % on it, which makes guessing at the number of them pointless.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by sconlogue: Can you currently do that on Steam, Origin, itunes, XboxLive etc etc... ? Nope. Should you be able to? No, I don't think so. Not without cutting a check to the originator of the IP IMHO anyway. Why should I make money on someone else's work just because I "bought" it, beat it then decided to give it to someone else?

if you buy a movie on bluray, you can resell it after you watched it if you want. why games be different?
especially when games are at $60, and too many of them are too short,
and a lot of them are without a demo.

I buy most games on steam now,I cannot resell them but the price is good (wait 2-3 month and get the game at 50-75%)
I only buy at full price the ones I'm sure I'm not going to regret.

06 June 2013
I still can't see myself getting one based on how they were so arrogant about the policies to begin just assuming all 360 owners were just going to grab one anyway. It's also going to be a total pain in the arse to develop for them as an Indie developer at this point. MS didn't care what the customer opinions were it was the poor pre-sales numbers and the public reporting of the poor pre-sales numbers forced them to change. (apparently PS4 pre-orders were beating XB1 Pre-orders by a margin a 7:1 in some places)

06 June 2013
Microsoft did this to themselves. Its all their fault nobody elses. They didnt know how to sell this idea, they didnt know what they doing, no cohesive overall strategy. Reacting to everything like trees blowing in the wind.

Its a bit strange someone accusing other people of being fanboys, whilst extolling the virtues of a consoles games that havent even been released yet.

06 June 2013
I am a box360 owner, and I was really going to make my move towards Sony's Playstation rather than Xbox one because of those restrictions. But after that news, I will happily pay that 100 dollars more. I think two thirds of my games are preowned, so that was my biggest factor why I was not considering so far the Xbox one.

I think PS4 will be great, but if I can choose I would rather fire up the new forza, halo and gears of wars than gt, killzone and uncharted. I prefer the games on xbox. And I don't care why microsoft has changed its mind.

Thread Closed share thread