CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
CONFIRMED: Microsoft To Drop Used Game Restrictions, Online Requirements

Quote:
"Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360.
"

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
jburford
Expert
portfolio
Jeffrey Burford
_
Frankfurt, DE

Wonderful, Great!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Victory for common sense. I wonder if Sony's strategy for the PS4 played a part in this decision by MS?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
GatorNic
Party over here!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Nic Sievers
Lighting TD/Modeling TD
Alameda, USA

Send a message via AIM to GatorNic
I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread:

well that would be cool if they listened to their consumer. However, what's to stop them from switching stances again once everybody buys it? Its a software thing, not hardware so they could change it at any point

www.Nix3d.com

Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

A step in the right direction, but not nearly good enough - the XBox One is still far too expensive.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Still an over-priced, non-backward compatible mess. No.

Wonder how long before they stop supporting all the apps and licensing deals on the 360 and force everyone to "upgrade."

Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
grrinc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNic
I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread:

well that would be cool if they listened to their consumer. However, what's to stop them from switching stances again once everybody buys it? Its a software thing, not hardware so they could change it at any point

This.

When the original Kinect was introduced, they implemented the whole spying BS. It flew under the radar because they knew no one reads the terms and conditions. And who would if you just got home and plugged it in either?

Microsoft have introduced this as media machine that phones home. Microsoft are also implicated in the recent PRISM scandal. They know full well that this kind of behaviour is best kept hidden away from the average user. And yet they still engage and profit from it.

Whatever your stance is on data harvesting, you have to admit that this is a shoddy and disrespectful way of treating your paying customers. I am sick of being told that if I have nothing to hide then what's the problem.

They'll never get another penny from me. They cannot be trusted. The machine is still over priced and sub par to PS4 too.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Sony's probably sharing your information as well. And it's not like it's all that hard to prevent the Xbox from sending data. It won't be sending video or anything like that, most likely any information it gathers would be stuff like what type of people are playing games or watching content, which is of more use to game developers and advertisement than the government.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
Victory for common sense. I wonder if Sony's strategy for the PS4 played a part in this decision by MS?
Sony probably punched them in the gut enough times that they decided to say "uncle."

Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
Daniel-B
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Broadway
Sr. Visual Effects Artist
Raytheon
Huntsville, USA

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
bellsoffreedom
Frequenter
portfolio
Nick
USA

Quote:

See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commonsense.jpg (38.3 KB, 50 views)

Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
seanser
Frequenter
portfolio
Sean Smylie
Newry, Ireland

I'm glad that they made a complete mess out of their launch announcement over this and have had to capitulate. The initial strategy was motivated by an attitude of lets suck every last dime we can out of our customers. Praise be for competition, if it wasn't for Sony deciding to not play ball with similar arrangements this back tracking would not have happened.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
beestee
Veteran

portfolio
Benjamin Steinert
West Fork, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Still an over-priced, non-backward compatible mess. No.

Wonder how long before they stop supporting all the apps and licensing deals on the 360 and force everyone to "upgrade."

This is the exact reason why they should not have changed their stance. Their vision was misunderstood even by their own heralds, and now they have alienated anyone that might have shared their vision for the future.

For what? To receive more ridicule and whining from "consumers" that never intend to purchase their product?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestee
....For what? To receive more ridicule and whining from "consumers" that never intend to purchase their product?

Ridiculous thing to post. You have no way of knowing what % of complaints came from actual xbox users.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
beestee
Veteran

portfolio
Benjamin Steinert
West Fork, USA

Quote:
Ridiculous thing to post. You have no way of knowing what % of complaints came from actual xbox users.

You don't have to go any further than a few posts away to see that it is a measurable enough amount of consumers that it is relevant and absolutely not ridiculous.

I did not say that everyone voicing their opinion were not xbox users, and it is just as ridiculous to imply that everyone that has anything to say about it is an xbox user. Even to assume that everyone being vocal about it is a potential xbox user is a stretch.

Some people love to hate Microsoft, and are capitalizing on the opportunity. Would you disagree with that sentiment?

Thread Closed share thread