Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

3D printer (Kickstarter) for $347

I'm not sure if this should be in News or General Discussion, but here goes. There is a Kickstarter 3D printer for $347 here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...veryone-can-use

They have actual working prototypes, so it seems to be a reality. An easy to use use APP comes with it.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

At already $900k+, 9x their goal, it looks like the real deal alright. They're playing hardball too. $347. Same resolution as Makerbot 2. Polished design. If they can get some solid marketing behind this as well as a tactical partner for distribution then they might be onto something here. Even if they fail, somebody will pick up the torch. Eventually, sooner than later, 3D printing will go mainstream. NOW.... The real problem will be IP infringement and dealing with the fallout from guys who want to build non-metallic weapons.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I am glad to see 3d printing is becoming more affordable and fast. I would love to have one of those and stop paying Shapeways.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

$347 sounds ambitous to me. The video shows a small machine, but it seems to be built to a decent standard. It's missing a heated bed, but i don't think thats an issue in this price range.
Personaly i would place it @ $400 in costs.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Well they answered my questions at the bottom.
1. WiFi and wired connections
2. You can use your own .stl files
3. Cloud is not required
4. PLA and ABS
5. Their filament cartridges are not required

I'm considering backing this one, anything I'm missing?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
threedart73
portfolio
Brenda
Malaysia

$347 for a 3D printer, nice price... would mind to get one

Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

I don't think they will offer an own software but rely on open source firmware and slicing software. The most crucial part beside precision build is the hot end, the print head. If that isn't working solid you won't be able to do anythin usefull with the machine.
From the Video and information i saw i can't determine what exactly it is, but chances are that at that machine price they will build it themself (usually they cost between $50 to $100).
The idea of using a Sanguinololu and a Rasberry Pi is good and there are working solutions available.
I still thing the price is to low, they will have a hard time reaching that without cutting off something important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
4. PLA and ABS

Printing ABS requires a heated platform, they don't offer that. Maybe they plan to have it as an option later.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
3dtutorial
Lord of the posts
Company Director

I also agree with Srek,

Seems to me that the price point is simply too low to maintain quality. I've seen this happen many times before, end result is implosion when company can't scale to meet demand.

Hope it works out, that would be great but at this price, I have my doubts.

I'd be happy to be wrong however :-)

Cheers,

Joe

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

@Srek:

According to the FAQ, they do provide a heated bed. Whether or not this means now or later on, I have no idea. I'm just going by their FAQ. They also say that while PLA is their officially supported material, the machine will also print ABS just fine. I'm thinking that this also has do with them only providing PLA-based cartridges atm.

As far as who's building what, again, the FAQ covers this. It looks like that they've gone with 3rd party manufacturing instead of hand building them. If they can get predictable quality, I think that this would be an optimal solution.

@3dtutorial:

I suspect that the funds earned allow them pump out a specific set number of machines and lock in a lower unit price with the manufacturer. Building one machine can often be way more expensive (per unit) than going for a high volume production run.

The $400 doesn't seem that unreasonable. I've seen people build their own for far less than that. For a commercial unit, it's really going to come down to a smart design and a higher production run.

The smaller build area is probably keeping costs down too. Right now, their machine outputs to only 1/4 the volume of the Makerbot. Anything bigger would require different internals, which would probably drive up the cost. I think, for now, this is a reasonable compromise if they want to hit more consumers.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Apple called.. They want their Mac Cube back

Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookepuss
The $400 doesn't seem that unreasonable. I've seen people build their own for far less than that. For a commercial unit, it's really going to come down to a smart design and a higher production run.

The Kickstarter mentions $347 in more than one place but if you look at the pledge amounts they start at $397. $400 sounds close to what I was pricing for building my own minus the labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookepuss
The smaller build area is probably keeping costs down too. Right now, their machine outputs to only 1/4 the volume of the Makerbot. Anything bigger would require different internals, which would probably drive up the cost. I think, for now, this is a reasonable compromise if they want to hit more consumers.
I blocked out Buccaneer's print size and its respectable. 1/4 the build for 1/6 the price. Man, I'm this close.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Update on the Buccaneer 2. At least they have a good sense of humor.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...se/posts/514413
Basically increasing the z-axis print size from 12cm to 15cm, x and y cannot be changed without increasing costs. And yes, you can easily refill cartridges.

Haven't backed it yet but I'm pretty sure I will.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
DonBowen
Veteran
portfolio
Don Bowen
Writer
San Diego, USA

Global Industrialism

I read an article recently in which the author said 3D printing would cause a new Industrial revolution. The differences between the industrial revolution of the 19th century and this new 3D Industrial revolution is that it will have a global impact.

Soldiers will be able to make equipment in the war zone instead of having to ship it; import and export will no longer be necessary, and countries will simply buy the rights to license 3D manufacturing of products; and of course, dishonest countries will pirate the 3D manufacturing rights of other countries products and technologies, thus causing a new wave of globalized crime.

My Site

Last edited by DonBowen : 06-21-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
fuss
Natural Born Sinner

portfolio
Marcus Holtgräwe
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBowen
I read an article recently in which the author said 3D printing would cause a new Industrial revolution. The differences between the industrial revolution of the 19th century and this new 3D Industrial revolution is that it will have a global impact.

Soldiers will be able to make equipment in the war zone instead of having to ship it; import and export will no longer be necessary, and countries will simply buy the rights to license 3D manufacturing of products; and of course, dishonest countries will pirate the 3D manufacturing rights of other countries products and technologies, thus causing a new wave of globalized crime.

I really doubt it. There is a limit to what you can create with a 3D printer and even if at some point the technology would evolve to the point where you could print even complicated electronic parts etc. - mass production in a factory will always be cheaper. Also, when done printing you would still need to assemble all the parts yourself. At the end the time, effort and cost of the raw materials wouldn't be worth it.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Alright, I've backed the Buccaneer. I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it.

While perusing the forums someone mentioned using Wood Filament in a 3D printer. Here is a Roll Top Box 3D printed in wood. The Pirate 3D guys are going to be testing this material through the printer. It seems they really do want to make it as open a system as possible.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread