Throw away your mouse: 3D sculpting with your hands is now real!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Throw away your mouse: 3D sculpting with your hands is now real!

Some friends of mine built this!

GameDraw 3D has been around for a year and a half and it lets you edit art inside Unity3D. meta is a hardware startup my friend made and in the last week they joined their hardware with GameDraw's software

Here's the demo they built in 2 days http://youtu.be/iWPdAhhUWD0

Old 06 June 2013   #2
It would be interesting to know how one gets used to the depth of the model in the view with eye-to-hand coordination, and also whether one would experience head or neck ache through prolonged use.

It looks good and I can see this being used for animation, at least.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thanks for posting about us Matt!

Hey Boone, Thanks for the question!

We have a couple of techniques for helping with hand eye co-ordination. We use a 3D stereoscopic display (separate projectors for each eye) to give depth and we've been doing work to align the projected image with reality using several algorithms and keeping it in sync with sensor fusion from a depth sensor, rgb sensor and 9 degres of freedom input (accelerometer, gyro, compass).
We also have a mediated reality mode where you can sync the real and virtual world perfectly so you see them all on the one plane as a video input. It's fairly easy for app developers to enable both modes and you can switch depending on preference. We should have some more techniques out when we release.

This is our dev kit, it's fairly light (about 350grams, so less than the Oculus), and we're working to bring the weight down before we ship the first units in September. Within a year we'll have one that's less than half that, so suitable for all day wear.

This is our first step and we can't wait for artists to get their hands on it! Architects are very keen, but my background was in 3D animation, so I'm really keen for CG applications.

We're looking into high tech industry applications as well--James Knight (head of performance capture on Avatar) spoke about some of his ideas on our Kickstarter video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ality-interface

Old 06 June 2013   #4
I'm throwing away my mouse right now!

neat tech, but looks like it has quite a few years to go

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Hey sentry66,

Thanks for your feedback. We built that demo in 2 days.

Look forward to showing you some more updates soon.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
I thought about something like this a couple years ago and at first it sounded so cool. But then I thought about it more, and as a modeler working eight or more hours a day...what would happen? Your arms would be crazy tired. You would never be able to keep it up. With clay at least you have something to push back and hold on to.

Don't get me wrong it definintly has a coolness factor and I absolutely applaud your friend for this, but I just don't see the feasibility for actual modeling.

www.Nix3d.com

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Reminds of one stunning short movie "World Builder" by filmmaker Bruce Branit known also as the co-creator of 405.

Maybe models showed in video don't look "high-quality" as mentioned in video but its only beginning. So this technology does look promising if not to say more.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
One day I'll give away my mouse but you'll take my wacom tablet from my cold dead hands!

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread