PlayStation 4 hardware unveiled, priced at $399 ( No Cloud Subscription Req*)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
PlayStation 4 hardware unveiled, priced at $399 ( No Cloud Subscription Req*)

Sony has unveiled the official model for its PlayStation 4. It bears a not unsurprising resemblance to its direct rival, the Xbox One, but smaller and, dare we say, cuter.

Sony also promised a host of crossmedia offerings on the platform from day one, including its Video and Music Unlimited services, as well as Netflix and, at a later time, Flixster.

In the closing of its E3 press conference, Sony has announced it is pricing the PlayStation 4, set to release holiday season 2013, will be priced at $399 US.

This will undercut its direct the competitor, the Microsoft Xbox One, by $100.

* It should be noted that multiplayer service is not included in the base console price, but will instead require a PlayStation Plus membership.

Reports are circulating that Sony will be producing several hardware models, with the $399 being "restrictively basic." We will have more details as they emerge.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...iced_at_399.php

BTW
This Is How You Share Games on the PS4 (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

and

Watch the Full 12 Minute Dark Sorcerer Tech Demo for PS4
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06 June 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
microsoft has been playing defense (poorly) a lot over the last few days with the xbox one

The big issue MS faces with the new xbox is if you move to another country, your games will become invalid since they're region locked to only activate when you authenticate them with the servers from the region they were purchased in.

The military folks aren't happy about it. MS pretty much handed huge markets over to sony, especially with sony supporting used and region-free games, not requiring an internet connection to play games, being more powerful, and costing $100 less.

Some games industry people are speaking out about wanting to get rid of the used game market and support MS. I have to wonder though if MS will eventually want to take their cut for distributing games (like the apple store) and negate any sales developers might gain from killing used sales.

In other news, if a person gets banned on xbox live, they automatically forfeit all their xbox one games

Last edited by sentry66 : 06 June 2013 at 09:00 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
With PS4's openness to independent developers, technology, unprecedented access to robust game development/DCC tools and lack of consumer constraints more of us wanting to jump start independent content creation careers should be jumping for joy. It's a kind of a downer that this hasn't gotten more attention.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
I'm not sure where 'lack of consumer constraint' is coming from. It's no better than what is already there with the PS3, and that has has caused a lot of complaints.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by NanoGator: I'm not sure where 'lack of consumer constraint' is coming from. It's no better than what is already there with the PS3, and that has has caused a lot of complaints.

What complaint is that? Sony doesn't impose any DRM with PS3. Last I checked I was free to sell or lend my PS3 game to whoever I want.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: What complaint is that? Sony doesn't impose any DRM with PS3. Last I checked I was free to sell or lend my PS3 game to whoever I want.

You haven't heard about the problems with people selling games with DLC at GameStop? Or the removal of OtherOS? Sony isn't implementing a new policy of "used game friendliness!one!! " with the PS4. They've explicit stated that the DRM policy is up to the publisher.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by NanoGator: You haven't heard about the problems with people selling games with DLC at GameStop? Or the removal of OtherOS? Sony isn't implementing a new policy of "used game friendliness!one!! " with the PS4. They've explicit stated that the DRM policy is up to the publisher.

Yea that is how it is with PS3. DRM is up to the publisher, aka: online passes. EA already announced they will not be using online passes anymore and sony also announced their first party games will not have online passes.

I haven't heard anything about "problems with people selling games with DLC at GameStop?" what was the problem?

Old 06 June 2013   #8
The short version is that the DLC is part of the game. You end up redeeming it via a code that is inside the case of the case. But if you buy a used copy of it, and that DLC's been downloaded, you're not going to get it. Now you're only getting a partial game. That video where the one guy hands the disc of his game to the other? Yeah, that's only going to work with some games. (Note: This happened on the XB360 as well.)

What's also worth mentioning is that Sony removed OtherOS via update (i.e. you cannot play newer games without installing the update that removes OtherOs....) citing 'piracy'.

I really don't understand how Sony came out of E3 without significantly changing their publishing polices and came out in the media as 'consumer friendly'. It's only going to be worse this generation because of the increased storage and better proliferation of broad-band. Face it: Publishers hate the used game market. It sure would have been nice if, instead, Sony was enforcing this policy.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Its because Microsoft screwed up so badly. Sony cant enforce a policy if they did developers might not release on their console.

For what its worth I dont think publishers will implement any kind of drm. Mainly to do with the cost, they got microsoft to foot the cost on their console, why would they then pay up to do it themselves on another console? Also the backslash would likely mean they wouldnt sell many of that game on the PS4.

They way they have it now its perfect they can be both the good guy and bad guy on each respective console. They can also see exactly how used games and all that effects their profits.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by NanoGator: I really don't understand how Sony came out of E3 without significantly changing their publishing polices and came out in the media as 'consumer friendly'.

Originally Posted by Calabi: Its because Microsoft screwed up so badly.

Maddox seems to agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sLpG6_36Cc

Old 06 June 2013   #11
The only thing Microsoft screwed up was assuming their audience would understand the implications of moving consoles into the digital future.

What happens when we turn these same criticisms towards steam, an already successful platform?

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by beestee: What happens when we turn these same criticisms towards steam, an already successful platform?
Steam is very different though. The titles on Steam are invariably cheaper than the physical product. PC gamers rarely play games on the main TV in the living room, just as it's very rare that more than one person will play the same copy of a game on the same PC.

Gamers are gamers but all these points (and more) make PC gaming a different animal to console gaming and just because a business model works for one market doesn't mean it's the right choice for another.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
So far Sony seems to be doing the right thing with the PS4. Only niggle is the lack of backwards compatibility with the PS3. But in its current situation, it won't be so much of a problem as it was with the PS3.

This time round it is around 80 cheaper than the XBox One, which doesn't have BC either. The Wii-U is a 100 cheaper still, and has BC, but games wise Nintendo is not driving it like they did with the first Wii...there is no "Twilight Princess" to lead the charge this time around. Shame, because it seems a good machine...

So, if Sony can deliver a solid launch line up of games, they have it cracked. If they can also provide an XNA-like API for small teams and bedroom coders, they will be laughing.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Originally Posted by beestee: The only thing Microsoft screwed up was assuming their audience would understand the implications of moving consoles into the digital future.

What happens when we turn these same criticisms towards steam, an already successful platform?

Apples and oranges. Steam by its very nature works the way it does. The XBOX 360 provides physical media for the game, there's no intuitive connection between that and restricted usage rights.

In a more general sense I do agree with you, though. Steam games are an extended rental, nothing more. When Steam goes kaput, as will your games.

Old 06 June 2013   #15
Originally Posted by Calabi: For what its worth I dont think publishers will implement any kind of drm....

They already do it.

Thread Closed share thread