Apple Reveals new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
I really love the look of this thing. Sleek and sexy and unobtrusive. Not that I am going to buy one mind you, but I do like the look. :P

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by ryanduff: ...dead in the water.

It's a electrical device, of course it'll be dead in the water.

Seriously though, people say that about every Apple announcement. and 99 out of a 100 times they end up with egg on their face.

06 June 2013
It's nice that it's small, but I think people would rather pay less for more power rather than a weird case

06 June 2013
Most of the cost in these systems is the CPU, so overall I suspect it's not going to be extreme. Very likely the new systems will be comparable to the price on current systems.

Flash drive may push up the price somewhat, but you get instantaneous load ... read/write access to that drive.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by ryanduff: my quick thoughts:

1. Apple loves the configuration page that TRIPLES the price of the bace model. So im sure you can pimp this R2- unit out.

2. Looks like it comes with 2 CPU sockets, thats importent. The CPUs they quote are available TODAY. A new gen. of XEONS are coming out September-ish, rumored to be 12-15 cores PER CPU socket. so that MAY meen we are looking at 24-30 core (48-60 w/ HT) systems. So im SURE there will but upgrade build-to-order options.

3. If you can't Select NVIDIA over AMD in build-to-order options....this is dead in the water. FUCK YOUR EXTERNAL CHASSES.

4. How the Hell do you RACK MOUNT THIS THING? if it takes up more room then 4 U to have 4 across...again. dead in the water.

P.S.
The money that I have saved for this day....I'm spending on 3 more Shuttle SX79R5 6core 3930k systems for my home render farm.

I was just browsing the site (very nicely designed BTW). Seems to me this limited design lacks the thermal dissipation capability to remove heat from a dual 8-core system (as I suspected) which is a bit pathetic considering the myriad of truly professional options already available from the likes of Dell and BOXX. Sure, they're not shaped like sex-toys for elephants but they get the job done. You can't go wrong with the 3930K processor. Performance that matches an 8-core Xeon for a quarter of the price? I'm fine with that. I'm not sure we live in economic times that allow us to justify paying premium prices knowing that a big chunk of what we're spending is going towards the looks rather than performance. On the other hand, I don't have the urge to hump my workstation so maybe i'm missing out on one of life's pleasures.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: It's a electrical device, of course it'll be dead in the water.

Seriously though, people say that about every Apple announcement. and 99 out of a 100 times they end up with egg on their face.

I actually think this is a great looking system, If it was called the Mac Mini Pro. If It can take Nvidia cards, and the price is around 3k I will probably get one to for my desk. but as a 3d / Post workstation in a Studio...not so much. I think Boxx will get a bump in sales starting today.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by PerryDS: Most of the cost in these systems is the CPU, so overall I suspect it's not going to be extreme. Very likely the new systems will be comparable to the price on current systems.

Flash drive may push up the price somewhat, but you get instantaneous load ... read/write access to that drive.

I really doubt that the CPUs will cost more then the Apple mark up.

06 June 2013
i can see a R2D2 mod...

06 June 2013
With it being that small it may have modified components which can greatly increase the cost. Probably the modified GPU's and motherboard will mean a higher cost since they have to be designed to fit in there.

06 June 2013
The power supply must be external, yes?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by forelle: About 40mins ago.

i'm curious jack. i might of missed it but how much video memory does each card have and will mari be able to take advantage of the dual cards in anyway?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by balistic: The power supply must be external, yes?

It requires a clover cable so i don't think so.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by CompanionCube: i'm curious jack. i might of missed it but how much video memory does each card have and will mari be able to take advantage of the dual cards in anyway?

According to the Mac Pro page on the Apple website:
"Not only does it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them."

So I'm guessing there's 12GB of VRam to play with on a fully specced out BTO.

06 June 2013
Looks a bit like a round Drobo.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: And it will probably be way overpriced.

In other news water is wet and the sun is hot.

Originally Posted by DutchDimension: According to the Mac Pro page on the Apple website:
"Not only does it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them."

So I'm guessing there's 12GB of VRam to play with on a fully specced out BTO.

I believe that is still 6gb not 12. It is just crossfire.

Thread Closed share thread