FXGuide:VFX in Los Angeles – 100 hour weeks & homeless (Artist Cautionary Tale)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
FXGuide:VFX in Los Angeles – 100 hour weeks & homeless (Artist Cautionary Tale)

Quote:"

The story of a young actor coming to Hollywood to make it in the entertainment business is a tired cliché. Stories frequently end with the protagonist disillusioned, their dreams turned into nightmares. This is one of those stories, set in the visual effects business. It is also a true story.

Movie studios have seen record box office returns for visual effects films, yet we have seen visual effects companies go through bankruptcy, workers have been left unpaid and many companies have closed. These troubles have not been confined to feature films as many of the business practices are similar for commercials, previs, games, motion graphics, music videos, and TV.

This story is not about a company, it’s about a visual effects artist in Los Angeles who has been trying to make it in the visual effects world. We are protecting his identity, for the sake of readability we will refer to him using the name “Victor”."

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/v...weeks-homeless/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

06 June 2013
I believe this applies to all art related jobs not just fx.

Artists are exploited the world over when it comes to commercial ventures. There should be a way for an artist who work on a project could still, at least, retain the right to include what they worked on in their PF.

06 June 2013
I feel for the guy, he's had a rough time. But this sentence really sums it up:

Quote: How can we fix an industry where a sort of Stockholm Syndrome exists where artists love the work so much that don’t seek available remedies

At the end of the day, he chose to do this, and chose to remain in the situation. Artists allow themselves to be exploited, and as such, they're allowing the problem to persist. If people were more assertive and refused to work for poor wages, we would not have this problem.

And the poster above me is right: this isn't a VFX-specific problem, it's found throughout the entire creative world. Artists who allow themselves to be exploited make themselves a part of the problem.

06 June 2013
As for one thing that could end up helping--schools should be more harsh on students trying to get into 3D to let them know what the business is really like and to make sure that people are in it that can actually learn and do the work and for the ones that are doing bad they need to consider going into something else. Otherwise we get a bunch of people that don't understand the industry and people that shouldn't even be in it that are trying to get jobs along with serious people.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: As for one thing that could end up helping--schools should be more harsh on students trying to get into 3D to let them know what the business is really like and to make sure that people are in it that can actually learn and do the work and for the ones that are doing bad they need to consider going into something else. Otherwise we get a bunch of people that don't understand the industry and people that shouldn't even be in it that are trying to get jobs along with serious people.

The same could be said about pretty much any creative career. It's not the school's responsibility to be harsh, I think it's every person's personal responsibility to clue themselves up on the realities of the industry they want to go into. A school's job is simply to train them to do the work.

06 June 2013
I think teachers are a bit limited because they can't actually recommend against going to the college since the college wants money. But I think it's still important for them to make sure that people know what they're getting into. Like how there really isn't enough time in class to learn what you need to and you should be doing some work on your own. The teacher gives some things that you can't get anywhere else like critique and direct answers to questions but ultimately a few hours of class a week isn't enough.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Tuxon86: Artists are exploited the world over when it comes to commercial ventures.

I do wonder why art is so targeted by exploitation. You try to pull some of this b.s. over on construction workers, and they'll hit you with a sledgehammer.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

06 June 2013
Quote: You try to pull some of this b.s. over on construction workers, and they'll hit you with a sledgehammer.

Can't be said any better than this.

06 June 2013
One of the reason younger vfx artists get exploited is because they have no idea what they should be getting paid for a given task.

Currently there are no standardized pay scales. The only way to find out is by asking other people and then they may only get a very rough idea.

06 June 2013
another take...

Originally Posted by Daniel-B: I do wonder why art is so targeted by exploitation. You try to pull some of this b.s. over on construction workers, and they'll hit you with a sledgehammer.

Yeah and if you pull this sort of crap on a butcher, they'll hit you upside the head with a leg of lamb. Just sayin.'

But seriously, if the story is true, its tragic. But when I read it, my reaction was that something seemed out of place.

www.G-3D.com

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."-Yogi Berra

Last edited by G3D : 06 June 2013 at 05:45 PM.

06 June 2013
I did this in San Francisco at roughly the same age. It was in the mid 90's so VFX was still quite an elite and rare job.

I did the Hostel life, and sleeping in random places. I had a job at a Internet Startup in Palo Alto that I commuted to 3hrs a day.

I really cant shed a tear of pity for "Victor" because for me, it was one of greatest and most exciting times of my life. Victor seems to be growing up and learning about the world in this article.

06 June 2013
Hi Guys,
I have been debating for two weeks if I should post this...but it serves to make a point.

The girl on the video I am posting blow was l was Miss Teen USA from 2007 and she had problems answering basic questions about geography during the beauty pageant

What makes this ON TOPIC are her career plans.

Go to the 3:50 mark and feel free to be as depressed, as I am now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQKNvPn3V-8
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06 June 2013 at 02:17 PM.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread