Microsoft Confirms Gamers' Fears Over Xbox One(Yes they went with Cloud Subscription)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
no internet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=5yC8FbgGnd0

PS4 for me, MS have lost their minds

06 June 2013
Microsoft's choices here are ones that don't apply to me as I am always online and I don't trade my games in or buy new ones but I don't agree with their moves on principle. Xbox has been my console of choice since day 1 of the original so it saddens me to see them go down this path.

With that said, I am planning on getting both just like I have for each generation because of the exclusives. Right now, my PS3 is used for movies and Netflix while my Xbox is for everything else. Depending on which way my friends go, that could shift especially now that I have held the PS4 controller and found it to be rather comfortable compared to the dual shock 3.

Last edited by Darrolm : 06 June 2013 at 07:59 AM.

06 June 2013
Well here is a cool opinion from comedian Lewis Black on the dumpster fire that seems the be the Xbox One.
Check it out:
http://kotaku.com/the-daily-show-ta...x-one-513137905
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

06 June 2013
Looks like an engineer at Microsoft decided to share some information about the Xbox One including his opinion. It may not be real but it is worth a read either way. A few segments:
Quote:
  • The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)
  • By default it's on, listening for "Xbox On". You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) [...] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can't just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.
  • The cloud capabilities is the shit they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute shit and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

Source

06 June 2013
It is just like steam except with no backward compatibility and none of the sales that make steam what it is. Yup I am totally sold.

Also Steam has offline play and doesn't need to log in. Also steam is region free. if I move to Poland tomorrow my steam library will work the same. You can't play xbox in a "unsupported country" even if you bought it someplace else thanks to region locking and IP checking.

Sorry unnamed MS engineer. Your product is nothing like Steam.

06 June 2013
I've gone full circle back to tabletop with the Pathfinder CRB and Bestiaries. Meanwhile, enjoy this scene from the very near future:
Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave Bowman: What's the problem?

HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?

HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.

HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

06 June 2013
Looks like they are backtracking after the outcry from gamers.
Quote:
  • An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today.

Source

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Darrolm: Looks like they are backtracking after the outcry from gamers.

Source

well that would be cool if they listened to their consumer. However, what's to stop them from switching stances again once everybody buys it? Its a software thing, not hardware so they could change it at any point

www.Nix3d.com

06 June 2013
You'd think a tech company worth $70 billion would hire some market researchers to find out what people want before designing and building a whole new console. Knowing the culture there, it's more likely they did this, then totally ignored the results. But it's still a deal breaker for me that there's no backward compatibility. How soon til they cave on that, too?

06 June 2013
Quote: But it's still a deal breaker for me that there's no backward compatibility. How soon til they cave on that, too?

isn't the ps4 doing the same?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: You'd think a tech company worth $70 billion would hire some market researchers to find out what people want before designing and building a whole new console. Knowing the culture there, it's more likely they did this, then totally ignored the results. But it's still a deal breaker for me that there's no backward compatibility. How soon til they cave on that, too?
It is unlikely that the will but they might try focusing some effort on figuring out how to emulate the games to work like they did with the 360 originally.

As for researching what people want, their approach was doing that in a way. Ever since they game users the option to install a game to their HDD on the 360, they have asked for the ability to play it without the disc. In order to do that, Microsoft had to figure out a way to make sure they actually owned the games which is where all of this probably stemmed from.

Last night I was discussing things with a friend and I brought up something he really liked which is the family share option. It basically meant that within a circle of friends, the cost of games could be split as they would be shared digitally from one person to the other and even play together with a single copy in a game like Battlefield 4.

06 June 2013
I think Microsoft are just trying to do what Steam did. But are forgetting all the troubles Steam went through. And also not realising that its a completely different market, most retailers have abandoned pc gamers so where else are they going to go. Console gamers arent used to all this. Neither were pc gamers but they were gradually eased in. Microsoft are throwing all these bad things out and arent trying to do it gradually. There are lots of better ways Microsoft could have done this, they chose the hardest way for some reason.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread