Microsoft Confirms Gamers' Fears Over Xbox One(Yes they went with Cloud Subscription)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Kinect must be plugged in for the console to work, but you have the ability to turn it off if you don't wasn't too use it. Meaning it won't be listening. There could be legal action since you're buying the actual game disc, not sure that works the same way that like Autodesk software licenses work.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: Now that we know Microsoft is a part of the NSA prism spying program how do you feel about hal 2.0 being bundled with the Xbox one. Hal aka kinect 2 seems a lot more advanced.

I'd like to think that the device wasn't constantly steaming video and audio to Microsoft's central servers. If it is, there's probably ways you can detect that.

On the topic of the cloud, I was thinking... if the Nintendo 64 needed to phone home every 24 hours, what are the odds that the game servers would still be accessible 18 years later? Furthermore, if you wanted to play a game, what are the odds that the game will still be available on the market or in stores? And if you could still trade once, what are the odds that you will find an original owner willing to give up his license?

I bet, those of you who buy into this will find a few games you really enjoy. As the years go by you will return to these games. Eventually, you may be cut off from them for good, and they will not exist anywhere. All that will be left are Youtube videos, reviews, and fading memories.

Last edited by trancerobot : 06 June 2013 at 07:09 AM.

06 June 2013
I'd think whatever data Microsoft would want from Kinect wouldn't be a streamed video or depth footage. The stuff that would be useful would be things like what type of person is playing a game or viewing a video (gender, age, race) how many people are watching them play or watching a video with them. All that would be useful for advertising or for game developers.

06 June 2013
I have to admit that I have no level of excitement for any of the current gen systems.

I will be hard pressed to pick up an Xbox One just because of the lack of backwards compatibility. There are so many games right now that I haven't had time to touch and won't be available for or work on the system that my only option would be to have 2 Xbox consoles next to each other.

That's just silly.

Let's see if any of these companies can pull off something amazing for E3.

06 June 2013
Rest in Peace Microsoft. Sony absolutely killed Xbone at E3. None of the DRM bullshit and $100 cheaper.

06 June 2013
Quote: Rest in Peace Microsoft. Sony absolutely killed Xbone at E3. None of the DRM bullshit and $100 cheaper.

i was able to see the live blog of the microsoft conference on engadget but watched the sony conference live when i got home. i am sold on the ps4, i think they had a better presentation overall.
is it possible that sony might do the same like microsoft with drm in the long run? i see they will be now charging $50 a year similar to what microsoft does with xbox live.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by aaraaf: I have to admit that I have no level of excitement for any of the current gen systems.
Same here. Other than maybe getting a Wii U to play the next Zelda I can't see any reason why I'd get another console. The fact that I did not get a Wii U on launch day or even know when it was is pretty telling.
Originally Posted by trancerobot: On the topic of the cloud, I was thinking... if the Nintendo 64 needed to phone home every 24 hours, what are the odds that the game servers would still be accessible 18 years later? Furthermore, if you wanted to play a game, what are the odds that the game will still be available on the market or in stores? And if you could still trade once, what are the odds that you will find an original owner willing to give up his license?

I bet, those of you who buy into this will find a few games you really enjoy. As the years go by you will return to these games. Eventually, you may be cut off from them for good, and they will not exist anywhere. All that will be left are Youtube videos, reviews, and fading memories.

Got this news update on my Wii the other day. Nintendo would be the company I would expect to leave services running the longest. Their local satellite service was active for the Famicon and Super Famicon for years after they were current gen. I've had this Wii for 7-8 years. That's a pretty good lifespan for a console but it's games will not be going offline, just online services. I wonder how long EA will keep the SimCity 5 servers active now that it was such a turd.

Steam has basically made my PC a stable, backwards compatible, gaming platform to play any purchase no matter the PC I put it on or how old it is. Granted I've always had super fast internet so I'm sure my opinion would change if that was not the case.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

06 June 2013
Microsoft delays Xbox One launch in Asia by a whole year, forgets to even mention Jap

If you thought November 2013 was too long to wait, bear a thought for Asian gamers who will apparently have to wait those six months, plus an additional twelve, to pick up their Xbox One. According to Alan Bowman, Microsoft's Regional VP for Sales and Marketing in Asia, the new console will launch in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India around late 2014. (Note the lack of Japan on that list, we're still checking with Microsoft on that.) These are all regions that have been marked as gaming high-growth areas by Microsoft -- the VP added that the Xbox 360 became the top-selling console in Asia this year. The company's also pointed to its next-generation Kinect sensor, one that will work in "dramatically reduced" room spaces and, according Bowman, will be better attuned to Asian gamers who might not have living room space in their homes.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/...unch-asia-2014/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

06 June 2013
Actually I'd rather say that the Sony presentation was worse with far less substance - but it was then saved by the lower price and the statement about DRM.

Although make note on the wording: "we will not restrict disc based games"
Publishers are still free to restrict whatever they want (notice EA missing from the Sony presentation...) and digital downloads will probably remain restricted, too. So I'd wait here if there's an other shoe to drop.

Best presentation was Ubisoft altogether (The Division looks unbelievable) and Nintendo hardware is going to slowly collapse in the next few years. They still have a future as a software publisher though.
Oh and I still expect Xbox and PS to sell roughly equal amounts again, Microsoft will be stronger in NA and Sony in Europe.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Actually I'd rather say that the Sony presentation was worse with far less substance - but it was then saved by the lower price and the statement about DRM.

Although make note on the wording: "we will not restrict disc based games"
Publishers are still free to restrict whatever they want (notice EA missing from the Sony presentation...) and digital downloads will probably remain restricted, too. So I'd wait here if there's an other shoe to drop.

Best presentation was Ubisoft altogether (The Division looks unbelievable) and Nintendo hardware is going to slowly collapse in the next few years. They still have a future as a software publisher though.
Oh and I still expect Xbox and PS to sell roughly equal amounts again, Microsoft will be stronger in NA and Sony in Europe.

Well no. Downloadable games of course you can't sell. Other than that there is no DRM and publishers won't be adding any XBONE like drm on top. There is no "secret wording" there or another shoe to drop.

Also PS+ is a lot more than just charging for multiplayer. You get an insanely good library of games for free and unlike xbox you don't need to be a member of it to use things like netflix. I also don't know why some people say "xbox will sell more on NA" what are you basing this on? The only reason 360 sold more on states (and the difference in sales in states between PS3 and 360 are not huge or anything) is because they released a year early and they were $200-300 cheaper than PS3. Do you think people will buy the system that is more expensive when the better system is $100 cheaper and lets you freely sell/trade your games? I will gladly take that bet.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Other than that there is no DRM and publishers won't be adding any XBONE like drm on top.

And what makes you so sure about that? We already had a lot of such moves for years, like no multiplayer from second hand games, one-use free DLC, online passes and such...

Quote: There is no "secret wording" there or another shoe to drop.

Tretton used the exact same wording at least three times... not a coincidence IMHO.

Quote: I also don't know why some people say "xbox will sell more on NA" what are you basing this on?

The Xbox brand is already very strong there and most of the audience is too young to remember the PS2 now. Then there are the often bashed TV features, the Kinect 2 stuff, the convenience stuff (no need for discs after install, cloud storage etc.)

Also, Titanfall may be a very important new multiplayer franchise, especially with COD Ghosts looking so lame in comparison. There are tens of millions of young dudes who may jump to the Xbox just for that - if it can really become the next big thing.

06 June 2013
What makes me so sure is the company released a press release saying they will not be adding any Sony DRM on top. Third parties can add their own drm aka: what we had for the past 10 years. Nothing is different. You have some serious tinfoil hat conspiracy going on there.

The console that is $100 cheaper is also better than the more expensive one in every way while offering the same functionality. If you think $100 is not a big deal for people making a purchase decision you are living in some alternate reality.

06 June 2013
Sorry but I don't really want to argue about this, as you've obviously made your choice already, and are also using selective arguments like completely skipping over the Kinect 2 bundled with the Xbox...

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Sorry but I don't really want to argue about this, as you've obviously made your choice already, and are also using selective arguments like completely skipping over the Kinect 2 bundled with the Xbox...

Yea sure thats fine. Meanwhile here is a video that answers some of your questions:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...he-mic--stream-

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Same here. Other than maybe getting a Wii U to play the next Zelda I can't see any reason why I'd get another console. The fact that I did not get a Wii U on launch day or even know when it was is pretty telling.

Got this news update on my Wii the other day. Nintendo would be the company I would expect to leave services running the longest. Their local satellite service was active for the Famicon and Super Famicon for years after they were current gen. I've had this Wii for 7-8 years. That's a pretty good lifespan for a console but it's games will not be going offline, just online services. I wonder how long EA will keep the SimCity 5 servers active now that it was such a turd.

Steam has basically made my PC a stable, backwards compatible, gaming platform to play any purchase no matter the PC I put it on or how old it is. Granted I've always had super fast internet so I'm sure my opinion would change if that was not the case.

In a way its good that SimCity 5 is such a bomb. I warned about same thing in that thread, because that is one game I always come back to. I've played 2000, 3, and 4 off and on and even recently. I could play 5, but I think even if it were good I'd always be worried about not being able to play it one day.

Thread Closed share thread