Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
eikonoklastes
Green

portfolio
eikonoklastes
USA

While I'm equally enraged by this news, I have to wonder:

My PS3 has been connected to broadband Internet 24/7 for the last 5-6 years non-stop. Yes, the service has been disrupted on occasion, but I cannot remember it happening more than 2-3 times in the last 5 years and then only for a few hours.

Am I in a minority? Or is the crowd who will be denied gaming because they cannot connect to the Internet once every 24 hours in the minority?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

No, you're part of the majority. Most people can do the 24-hour checkin just fine. And you don't even need a good connection for that. People are angry because it's one part of many things that aren't a good direction. I think there are better alternatives. The issue is that if you sell your old games to Gamestop and then go home and disconnect the console from the internet then you could still play them since they're installed. An easy solution that people would accept however is maybe to require people to put the disc in the drive to play offline, even if it's still playing off the hard drive it can use it for verification that you still own the game.
Even then, they could just remove the 24-hour limit, since you'll need to connect to play any new games I highly doubt people would stay disconnected forever just to save some money. The number that would go through that trouble is probably less than the number of people that need to have the console offline for more than 24 hours. If you're moving and won't have internet service for a few days, or are going on vacation and want to bring the console but you'll be in a place that doesn't have a connection. Or the case of the military where many soldiers can't get internet access regularly.

I think the thing that annoys me most is that basically you can't sell your games to your friends or even give it to your friends. It allows you to share with one person and that's it. And the only way to deactivate the game is to sell it to participating stores.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Now that we know Microsoft is a part of the NSA prism spying program how do you feel about hal 2.0 being bundled with the Xbox one. Hal aka kinect 2 seems a lot more advanced.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Xcon76
portfolio
Reggie Jackson
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes
While I'm equally enraged by this news, I have to wonder:

My PS3 has been connected to broadband Internet 24/7 for the last 5-6 years non-stop. Yes, the service has been disrupted on occasion, but I cannot remember it happening more than 2-3 times in the last 5 years and then only for a few hours.

Am I in a minority? Or is the crowd who will be denied gaming because they cannot connect to the Internet once every 24 hours in the minority?

Many don't have broadband Internet access to their consoles. If you're a 20-something who has bills to pay, internet is the first to go. Or maybe you have your internet setup in a certain area, and not in the room where you play the XBox. Perhaps you want to take your Xbox somewhere.

It's problematic for quite a few, and a drastic change from how people are used to gaming, to say the least.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107

I think the thing that annoys me most is that basically you can't sell your games to your friends or even give it to your friends. It allows you to share with one person and that's it. And the only way to deactivate the game is to sell it to participating stores.

This is not going to be possible at launch and they said it will be available at a unspecified future date.

It looks like the gaming media is doing their job for once (I stole the post from Neogaf):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfrank;62014721
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/7/440...et-trade-policy

Full list of articles by RobbieH

Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Let's just take a moment and consider how many game developer studios have been closed in just the past year, how many artists were laid off.

Is it still such a bad move?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
ShinChanPu
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Félix Romero
3D modeler, character artist
Madrid, España

As planned by the White House / NSA.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
conbom
Lord of the posts
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Quote:
Let's just take a moment and consider how many game developer studios have been closed in just the past year, how many artists were laid off.

Consider why they closed?

social/casual/mobile market

Couple that with high development costs. I just think a lot of studios in the last generation sat in a very precarious and vulnerable position, and it really effected the games that were being developed.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh

Studio closures are the result of reliance on old product models/strategies, a lack of willingness to make anything but a franchise game, or simply catering to the bottom line and/or corporate shareholders. Every dev jumping over to mobile/ipad also played a huge part - the P&L numbers just don't add up if you are trying to keep a 300 person studio afloat while making "Butterball Invaders" for IOS. I don't think it has anything to do with there not being enough DRM in games.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #25
spurcell
Lord of the posts

portfolio
shane purcell
Senior Artist
Providence, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh

You think that the direction they're moving, is gonna actually impact your statement in any meaningful way? Because, if you do, then I gotta say, I think you're full of it.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #26
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I think a lot of studios could continue if they weren't owned by a big publisher that depends on shareholders. I honestly don't get why any company would go public, but then I'm not a business person.

I think the best solution to the used game market is to make games that people want to continue playing--if they're playing the game then they won't want to sell it.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #27
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
It sucks to say but I think I'm opting out of the next gen of consoles. Being done with games and either selling them or giving them to my nephews/friends' kids is a big part of gaming for me, as is taking games to friends' houses to play. And just from a general ownership standpoint I don't accept needing an internet connection to ever play an offline game, unless all games are going to start costing 15 bucks.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
TimothyElliot
Veteran

Timothy Elliot
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
No, you're part of the majority. Most people can do the 24-hour checkin just fine.

I'm not sure how valid your point is. All of us here can obviously access the internet. But, I suppose it wouldn't be so easy if you were, say, a soldier.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

If you really think about it, most everyone is completely capable of fulfilling the online requirement. Even if it restricts the military from being able to use the console it probably wouldn't be much of a loss to Microsoft. That seems harsh, but it's probably true. Microsoft has probably figured that they can do without the people that don't have a good connection and still profit.

Yet--that doesn't mean it's OK, stuff like this isn't necessary and we shouldn't be giving in to more restrictions because that will just mean that it will get worse. Neither the 24-hour check-in or the restrictions on used games do anything for the consumer. All the benefits they want to add can be done without making things worse.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

Is it true the Xbone won't work if Kinect 2.0 isn't connected to it? The whole soldier angle about (lacking) internet access could be moot because of the inherent security risks Kinect now poses (always watching, always listening, always connected). This is the other reason one should avoid the Xbone imho.

I'm going to stick with my nine year old Xbox 360, maybe start gaming more on my PC too. I don't care about all that extra stuff which PC's, DVR's, and mobile devices already do (and no doubt increases the cost of the Xbone), only the games on my gaming console. Hmm I do believe I'm actually looking forward to canceling my XBL Gold account this fall and telling them why lol.

As for used/lending/borrowing/giving away games and activating new ones, I hate what they're doing. I think it's more about control and greed. The fact that it may benefit in slowing down piracy is just a pleasant side effect for them. If this kind of thing gets out of hand, which does seem to be what the future holds, governments may need to step in to protect consumers. Surely there will be building pressure from the pubic to do so.

I also have no doubt Microsoft will take the biggest cut from activation fees for "used" titles and (maybe) give the rest to publishers, while developers won't see a single penny of it. I highly doubt their plan to kill the used market will work out for them though. After all, people only have so much money to spend, while the unwary will catch.on pretty quick that this is a rip off tactic. The hardcore gamers just won't buy the Xbone. Sony really stands to come out on top if they don't mess this opportunity up and I am watching developments regarding the PS4 closely. I have no problem with switching.

Thread Closed share thread