Microsoft Confirms Gamers' Fears Over Xbox One(Yes they went with Cloud Subscription)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Microsoft Confirms Gamers' Fears Over Xbox One(Yes they went with Cloud Subscription)

From Microsoft There have been concerns about Xbox One since before we knew it was Xbox One. Gamers were worried about used game restrictions, online requirements, and privacy issues, and the community at large was furiously underwhelmed with Microsoft's ability to answer those questions at the console reveal.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...-over-xbox-one/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Microsoft: Xbox One users must have broadband, check in online

For more from Kotaku.com

Quote:
"Microsoft has released official documentation concerning several of the policies, features and requirements of its upcoming Xbox One console. Among these are details on its periodic online checks, remote access to a player's game library, and recommended connection speed.

Regarding the previously detailed regular online check-in:

[Y]ou can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
Regarding technical specifications and networking requirements:

Xbox One is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port and 802.11n wireless. With 802.11n, Xbox One can use the 5GHz wireless band which eliminates considerable interference from other devices in the home, such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwaves. Xbox One uses two wireless antennas, versus one in Xbox 360.

For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/... _in_online.php
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Everyone keeps saying this may be the last generation of consoles... and it looks like Microsoft (and maybe Sony) is actively working toward making it happen.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Sony is making all the right moves so far. We will see next week at e3. Xbone is a hilarious train wreck. But hey they are catering to a user base that doesn't mind paying for peer to peer multi player every month and they put ads on top of that.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Sony isn't making any moves, not until Monday

Old 06 June 2013   #6
i wouldn't be surprised if sony does the same thing. i think i will stick to the 360 and my pc for now.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Sony isn't making any moves, not until Monday

Well sony already confirmed that internet connectivity will NOT be required unlike xbones "you have to be connected to the net because it will do a check every 24 hours" thing. Along with other things.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
I was on the fence between the the two, this puts me solidly with Sony if they keep theirs non-cloud. I am getting sick of this have to be connected bull-honkey that is growing out of control.

I get why everyone is doing it, to curb piracy and such, but there is a point where companies are making it hard for their actual consumers to enjoy their products. I almost liken it to those tamper-free packages everybody went to at stores to curb stealing and in the process annoy the hell out of the consumers by not being able to open it without cutting yourself. haha..

www.Nix3d.com

Old 06 June 2013   #9
MS XB1 is much like their Surface & Windows RT launch, only multiplied by 10 in terms of bad decision making.

They have awesome hardware, for the first time ever, and they completely f*** it up. Its amazing. I dont think it was possible to make things this bad even if one tried. There's some natural born talent at work here imo.

Also, who the hell thought to introduce the new xbox for the first time ever as a TV box? They basically not only alienated ALL international buyers, but they committed suicide in their local market where the only reason they've been successful in the first place was hardcore gamers.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Well sony already confirmed that internet connectivity will NOT be required unlike xbones "you have to be connected to the net because it will do a check every 24 hours" thing. Along with other things.
They said it doesn't need to be always on, which neither does the Xbox One

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Xbone is a hilarious train wreck.
Lol, my eye caught that as X-Bone. Now that's all I'm going to think of when I see it.

This whole "1 device to rule the living room" mentality is the same thing Sony tried with the PS3 launch. It didn't work for them either. I could speculate why but the fact is it just didn't work. Maybe this time will be different but I suspect not.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 06 June 2013   #12
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Poor gamers complaining and complaining... but then they will make lines to be the first to get them... vote with your wallets please.

Old 06 June 2013   #14
Originally Posted by darthviper107: They said it doesn't need to be always on, which neither does the Xbox One

Umm no. Xbone does need to be connected to the internet once every 24 hours also every time when you are launching your game to do a check. You cannot use it without internet. That is not the case with ps4 you can use it offline just fine.

Old 06 June 2013   #15
That's not what Always On means, Always on is like Diablo 3, meaning you can't ever play the game without being connected to the internet. The Xbox One can play offline for 24 hours (if it's a game that doesn't actually require the internet to function like multiplayer). When Sony says the PS4 isn't always on, it could mean the same thing.

Thread Closed share thread